Marg
Site Admin

December 8th, 2013, 8:40 pm #251

This weekend, I saw 12 Years A Slave, which seemed particularly appropriate as the world mourns the death of Nelson Mandel.

Anyway, it's not a movie for those who dislike watching violence, beatings in the name of one's beliefs. It certainly does not pull any punches about the hellishness of slavery. Chiwetel Ejiofor as Solomon/Platt is excellent and I'm sure will up for an Oscar this year,. I also thought Lupita Nyang'o as the young housemaid and Michael Fassbender as Epps, the slavemaster were good. Brad Pitt also plays a minor role. The cinematography is particularly appropriate and effective in setting the scenes. Not an easy movie to watch, but one I would recommend.
Last edited by Marg on December 8th, 2013, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tgir
Site Admin

December 9th, 2013, 3:57 am #252

It is very doubtful 12 Years A Slave will ever play near me. But my son lives in a much larger city and he saw it and thought it was one of the best films he's ever seen. And he will never watch it again.

Jenni
Site Admin

December 9th, 2013, 2:22 pm #253

A group of girls from work, my kids and I went to see the midnight showing of Catching Fire. It was our first midnight showing and the kids were stoked. I thought it was very well done. Obviously as with any movie there were some deviations from the book and as a huge fan of the books I was a little perturbed at parts but all in all I was very happy with it. Corrina has already asked to buy it, lol.

Now excited waiting for Divergent to come out however according to IMDB there are some main characters that aren't in the film if they have the full cast listed. For those that know the books, the last time I checked they didn't have any of the Dauntless born initiates cast. While I don't think they need all of them I do think that Uriah, Marlene, and Lynn are vital to the storyline. Ok rant over :) Got off work an hour late and need some sleep or to get busy. Haven't decided which yet, lol.

Dax
Site Admin

December 9th, 2013, 2:46 pm #254

Whatever cast is on imdb at this point would not be final.

tgir
Site Admin

December 9th, 2013, 4:20 pm #255

I also saw Catching Fire but not at a midnight showing. Our local movie theater is a small multiplex and was showing it in two theaters, with showings staggered by 20 minutes. On about the 4th day of showing, the second in the 20 minute spaced shows, the theater was packed.

I thought the change in directors and additional money thrown at the film were well worth it. I can't help but be a bit disappointed in the casting of Liam Hemsworth and Josh Hutcherson who are fine, I am sure. It's just that Hutcherson looks like he could have been a wrestler on my high school wrestling team and Hemsworth is so obviously the star quarterback. Maybe if they were less meticulously coiffed and groomed.... I don't know. I can't criticize their acting, but they seem obviously designed to be teenaged heartthrobs. For every other character I believe the actors sort of disappear into their roles. Those two: I don't think they're allowed to step out of that box labeled: Which Hot Boy Will Catniss Choose??? In a way, the books were like that, but both characters were so much more. These actors in these roles are not. I don't know where the limitations are: script, actor, director, wardrobe/styling/makeup? No idea. It just seems a little Ken doll to me.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

December 9th, 2013, 10:11 pm #256

Most of my students said that Catching Fire is much better than HG.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

December 9th, 2013, 10:58 pm #257

Hubby wants to go to the movies later this week so I'm wondering what we should see first? I was thinking Catching Fire? Us going to the movies is a rare event.
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

tgir
Site Admin

December 10th, 2013, 5:43 am #258

Depends on what you're in the mood for. Catching Fire is fine, if Chris would enjoy it. There's also the next installment of The Hobbit and American Hustle. If it were me and my hubby, he'd want to see The Hobbit or perhaps American Hustle. I didn't make him go to see Catching Fire.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

December 10th, 2013, 7:13 pm #259

Yeah ... I'm thinking the Hobbit. ;)
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

tgir
Site Admin

December 16th, 2013, 2:44 pm #260

Yeah, we saw The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. More like: The Hobbit: The Desecration of a Perfectly Wonderful Story That is Interesting, Engaging, and Suitable for Older Children Without Being Saccharine or Dumbed Down Thanks to Peter Jackson Who Should Never Be Allowed Near a Film Ever Again.

I am not big on orthodoxy re: books made into films. When I knew he was stretching The Hobbit into 3 parts, I knew he would be padding. I hoped that he would spend some time and effort on what made the book charming and engaging and a classic for so many years. I hoped for the songs. But nope: all of that got shot all to hell for the sake of orcs, orcs and more orcs. I don't even care that he invented characters, borrowed characters from other books and inserted a silly love triangle. I do care that he took everything that was enjoyable and fun and yes: that terribly over used word: magical about the whole thing and made it simply an homage to some video game directed at 14 year old boys who are too afraid to fantasize about girls so they fantasize about killing stuff.

The casting was good. This time around, I was irritated by the heavy make up on the dwarves. The acting was good, if you forget Rivendale. The song at the end while the credits rolled was really good but where were all the songs from the original?????? It's not like he didn't have the budget.

After the first installment, I was excited to see #2. Now, I am very doubtful I will bother with #3.

Frankly, the 1977 animated version was MUCH better and much more faithful to the book.

Last edited by tgir on December 16th, 2013, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.