Dax
Site Admin

January 1st, 2013, 10:18 pm #181

tgir - Gary Ross isn't directing any of the Hunger Games sequels. Francis Lawrence (I Am Legend, Constantine, scores of music videos) is directing the next three (third book splitting into two films).

KMInfinity
Site Admin

January 2nd, 2013, 3:42 pm #182

tgir wrote:Huh. I really liked Lawrence (but agree re: the actual film. Underwhelming.
I don''t know her work at all. It's entirely probable that it's not her fault but a poorly written script. Two key items, imo>

spoilers:

The scene with Rue's death wasn't very powerful. If I watch it again it could be that the writing just didn't give 'Katniss' a chance to showcase her grief well. That is upsetting as that is the key moment that motivates her both to win the Game and eventually to be a revolutionary.

The ambiguity with her relationship with Peeta wasn't well defined. She came off sort of bratty with him, whereas in the books it's clear she's conflicted on several levels.

I guess a major part of it is that the books are her 1st person narration and we are inside of her head, whereas the film is from her POV but obviously not 1st person. I think the script needed to give more there.
iii
iii
iii

tgir
Site Admin

January 3rd, 2013, 2:47 am #183

I am certainly no expert on film making but there were a number of places where I felt the scenes played flat, rather than dramatic and meaningful. I know there were constraints re: Rue's death, about depicting the killing of a child and I respect that they wanted to make a film that could be seen by the books' target audience and also potentially be shown as companion pieces to the books in a school setting. Even taking all of that into consideration, huge let down in terms of emotional impact.

Dax, am glad to hear that they are changing directors. That was what I heard initially, then read that the original director WAS coming back and my heart sank. So, hopefully, the direction of the next installments will restore the emotion.

KMI: Here's where I felt Lawrence was brilliant: when they are moving into the arena, in the tubes, the terror she was conveying, without being over the top. Not many actresses could do it. Now the challenge will be for her to remain as fresh and young (and available) as she was for the first film.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

January 3rd, 2013, 4:39 am #184

tgir wrote:I am certainly no expert on film making but there were a number of places where I felt the scenes played flat, rather than dramatic and meaningful. I know there were constraints re: Rue's death, about depicting the killing of a child and I respect that they wanted to make a film that could be seen by the books' target audience ...
This was a major issue and I agree it needed to be handled with 'kid gloves.' Unfortunately that meant compromises that may result in the movies being inherently weaker than the books.

I remember thinking that scene in the tubes entering the arena was a good one tgir! But it reminds me that I wanted Lenny Kravitz's Cinna to be more...something. I am a big fan of his music so I really wanted him to shine in that role.
iii
iii
iii

Dax
Site Admin

January 3rd, 2013, 5:16 am #185

Going to Les Mis on Saturday. Watching the on-PBS-a-few-weeks-ago 25th anniversary concert from 2010 now, and I'm entirely in love with Samantha Barks, and am very pleased that she's Eponine in the movie, too.

Dax
Site Admin

January 6th, 2013, 7:12 am #186

Les Mis was good.

Marg
Site Admin

January 9th, 2013, 9:57 pm #187

I saw Lincoln and Les Mis over the holidays.

I thought Les Mis was good -- Hugh Jackman was great. I had to warm up to Russell Crowe's singing, but he seemed to improve as the movie progressed. I'm not sure Anne Hathaway should be eligible for a lead actress nomination as her role was limited. IMO, the movie is not as good as the stage production, I saw.

Overall, I thought Lincoln was a much better movie and Daniel Day Lewis was outstanding in the role of Lincoln. I was also impressed with Sally Field, as his wife.

Dax
Site Admin

January 10th, 2013, 12:38 am #188

I'd been prepared to dislike Crowe, but he didn't really bother me. A weaker singer than some, sure, but I thought he performed it well... but I can't disagree with the criticism that he plays Javert as perhaps more 'grey' than we've come to expect him being in staged productions... his Javert seems to be doubting himself at earlier points than his lyrics will have him doing later on... he's less officious and hard than most Javerts (I really liked Norm Lewis - Senator Davis, Olivia's current boyfriend on Scandal - in the 25th anniversary concert).

Strongly agree Hathaway shouldn't be in a Lead Actress category.

Krystal
Site Admin

January 10th, 2013, 1:07 am #189

I won't see it but I don't like Crowe much anyhow. And it really kills me to have bad or even mediocre singers in a musical because they are "stars"/ Mama Mia was a total disaster cause Steep and Brosnan sucked. Saw the play and loved it.

tgir
Site Admin

January 27th, 2013, 3:20 am #190

Saw Silver Linings Playbook and really liked it.