Dax
Site Admin

December 31st, 2012, 8:44 pm #171

Movies I saw for the first time in 2012 (bolding the ones that were in movie theaters)
-
Bridesmaids (2011)
Catfish (2010)
Final Destination 5 (2011)
Paranormal Activity 3 (2011) (discount theater)
Hugo (2011) (in 3D)
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011)
The Hunger Games (2012)
Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey (2011)
Prometheus (2012) (in 3D)
Thor (2011)
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
Insidious (2011)
The Hitcher (2007)
Hostel (2006)
Hostel Part II (2007)
The Last House on the Left (1972)
The Last House on the Left (2009)
The Strangers (2008)
Funny Games (2008) *There was a concentration on horror films over the summer...*
Brave (2012) (in 3D)
Marvel's The Avengers (2012)
The Hills Have Eyes (2006)
Hard Candy (2005)
Zombieland (2009)
Piranha 3-D (2010) (not in 3D)
Piranha 3-DD (2012) (not in 3D, on a bootleg dvd)
Machete (2010)
Red State (2011)
Glee: The 3-D Concert Movie (2011) (not in 3D)
The Social Network (2010)
Fanboys (2009)
Moneyball (2011)
Rest Stop (2006)
Lady in White (1987)
The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) (3D blu-ray)
Django Unchained (2012)

and the 3-D re-releases of Finding Nemo (2003) and Monsters, Inc. (2001)
and what I'll most often cite as my all-time favorite movie, projected hugely in Imax, 1981's Raiders of the Lost Ark.

My favorite film of 2011 (so far, still so many I need to see) is Hugo.
My favorite film of 2012... well, I've only seen Hunger Games, Prometheus, Brave, Avengers, Piranha 3DD, The Amazing Spider-Man, and Django Unchained. Seven isn't many. Of these, Brave or Django, but it's probably safe to assume something else will top them...
Last edited by Dax on December 31st, 2012, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krystal
Site Admin

December 31st, 2012, 8:44 pm #172

My parents took me to adult movies from the time I could recall. They were things like John Wayne and Richard Burton etc, all action stuff. But they also took me to horror films (Dracula, Frankenstein) and my mother who is a night owl let me stay up and watch Friday night horror films on TV with her till 1AM or so. By then I was about 5 or 6. The only movie which scared the living shit out of me was the original Body Snatchers and I ran all around our house looking for pods for months. Luckily it was a small house and i didn't have to look for long.

I kind of did the same with my step son who is now 35 (ouch). We would put on a kids show for him sometime but you can't get me to watch that stuff even if you tie me up. So he would see stuff like Raiders of the Lost Ark, Alien or whatever with us. No SAW or Hostel, Freddy or shit like that though. I love horror but still can do without those.

My parents did not go to drive ins but I started going with boyfriends and of curse there wasn't alot of movie watching then...
Even

Krystal
Site Admin

December 31st, 2012, 8:49 pm #173

My Fav was Dragon Tattoo, the Swedish version was the best. Prometheus was probably my second fav from last year. I don't like the Saws or Hostels but will watch the Final destinations (go figure) but they are almost parodies to me.

I thought Hunger Games was only meh. I would not see the Hobbit as I hate fantasy, but love Sci Fi go figure that. Hated LOTR too.

Also saw Machete, wow, that is something to admit...
Last edited by Krystal on December 31st, 2012, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dax
Site Admin

December 31st, 2012, 8:51 pm #174

I was very skeptical that I would enjoy the two Hostel films, but I did. They AREN'T all torture and gore (as I had been led to believe) - there was good suspense and humor in them. Actual stories, not just mindless bloodletting. And the sequel provides an extra bit of fun for those who watched Desperate Housewives, as Richard Burgi and Roger Bart have prominent villain roles.

I liked the Saw franchise, too, but they definitely overstayed their welcome with seven films.

The Final Destination films are great fun, but yes, often pretty silly.

I remember you speaking highly of Machete... took me awhile, but I finally got around to it. Great fun.

I enjoyed Hunger Games quite a bit, and am looking forward to the others (and catching up on all the other stuff Jennifer Lawrence has been in, too).

I don't/didn't 'hate' LOTR, but I am something of a dissenting voice among my geek friends and relatives because I didn't 'love' them... I thought they were okay. Too long. I still haven't seen the extended cuts of Two Towers or Return of the King...

I am liking Game of Thrones FAR more than I liked the LOTR movies.
Last edited by Dax on December 31st, 2012, 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Krystal
Site Admin

December 31st, 2012, 9:33 pm #175

Maybe I will check out Hostel then, I thought it was Saw on steroids. One Saw was enough for me.

I don't recall Last House.

Oh, see Cabin in the Woods, it is so misnamed and really a strange film but interesting.

Dax
Site Admin

December 31st, 2012, 10:09 pm #176

You didn't like the first Saw? I thought it was really clever and fun (and at least the next two aren't bad, either). Love Michael Emerson in it as the one we're made to think is the bad guy for a good little stretch of time...

I'll see Cabin, of course (big Joss Whedon/Drew Goddard fan).

Last House on the Left was the truly terrible-but-historically-to-horror-'important' directorial debut of Wes Craven. Family of bad guys kidnap, rape, and murder a couple of teen girls and in a spectacular coincidence, end up spending the night at the home of one of the girls... the parents discover what was done and whodunnit, and exact their revenge. It's not well-made (okay, some nice photography, but...). There's some pretty music in it, but it's so tonally 'off' from the story, as is some really awful screwball comedy stuff with a pair of cops that the film cuts away to on occasion, that it's very off-putting... very strange, but an interesting curiosity. Highly controversial at the time, but naturally very tame by today's 'standards'.

Modern remake makes for much better viewing (works fine as a suspense/revenge film), but is, you know, NOT really 'historically important'. But the bad guys are played by Garret Dillahunt (Deadwood) and Aaron Paul (Jesse on BB), so they were of interest to me... the parents are Monica Potter (Parenthood) and Tony Goldwyn (Scandal)...

I do like watching an original and its remake close together or back-to-back, to compare.
Last edited by Dax on December 31st, 2012, 10:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

January 1st, 2013, 4:49 pm #177

Dax wrote:Yeah. As I've gotten older and become more of a worker and a tv-addicted homebody, I'm seeing far fewer movies than I used to... thinking back 15 years ago or so, I'd see all of the Oscar nominees BEFORE the show, and now it's years before I even get to seeing the WINNERS...

I see fewer movies because I stopped going to the theaters regularly (too expensive, too many rude people talking on their phones... and in many cases, I'm going to buy the dvd eventually anyway, so...). I see fewer movies because I watch too much tv. I see fewer movies because... well, a lot of tv IS better,
Big agree with this post, and hubby is especially hard to get to the movies thanks to the bolded item...

One of my three big resolutions is to establish movie-of-the-month and get a group (hopefully NOT girls-nite-out) to see something once a month. Establish it as "oh it's the last Friday of the month....movie-and-dinner with KMI. Maybe sometimes it's me and hubby, maybe sometimes it's me and a gang... I don't see even my good friends enough any more.

I picked Friday as a way to motivate me not to collapse at the end of the week like I've been doing. Hope it works. Plus, the suburbs I like in have had crappy 70s theaters and now we're getting a huge new state-of-the-art theater 5 minutes away later in 2013, so it's time to establish a tradition.

I still miss the local college theater that showed a different classic movie EVERY NIGHT. We'd see 2-3 old movies a week. I guess it's a good thing the theater is now being used as .... a real theater.... lol
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

KMInfinity
Site Admin

January 1st, 2013, 4:54 pm #178

I saw The Hunger Games on DVD and was rather let down. I thought Lawrence wasn't really very good, and thought the writing was weak, especially in setting up the whole point of the series. Hubby watched with me (hadn't read the books) and was seriously underwhelmed.

And yes, Cabin in the Woods was terrific - in fact was better at exploring the Hunger Games themes than HG.

ETA: There will be lots of lists.... This one has CitW as #10 in 2012....

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/28/showbiz/m ... ?hpt=hp_t4

I really want to see Silver Linings Playbook, and hopefully a better performance from Lawrence.
Last edited by KMInfinity on January 1st, 2013, 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

tgir
Site Admin

January 1st, 2013, 5:17 pm #179

Huh. I really liked Lawrence (but agree re: the actual film. Underwhelming. I had high hopes when I read they were changing directors for the second film (which is where I feel the film truly went wrong) but no: they're keeping him. Missed Opportunity. Majorly.) Of course, I am a pretty big fan of Lawrence any way. If you haven't already, see Winter's Bone (not as great as the book, which I think you should read). Warning: not an upper. But very, very good. Film pulls back a bit from some of the darkest parts of the book, per usual. Stunning performances. And I love the music.

Our small town theater recently remodeled to include all stadium seating. No giant screens but decent enough. Aside from the quality of the films themselves, my biggest gripes include people who take out their illuminated devices and one mother who allowed her daughter to wear sneakers with flashing lights (I think that was Brave but could have been Wreck It Ralph). During The Hobbit, the person behind me kept kicking the back of my seat, but mostly stopped when I asked him to. After a bit, it began again (annoying) but he had obviously made an effort. After the lights went on, I saw he was about 10 years old and realized he was simply as still as he could be and was just being 10 instead of a jerk.
Last edited by tgir on January 1st, 2013, 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Krystal
Site Admin

January 1st, 2013, 8:18 pm #180

KM, I don't see my girl friends enough cause they are all in Chicago! I have not found good friends here in the Valley of the Botox. Most of the women here don't work and don't even volunteer at anything. They just shop and have mani/pedi's. They are totally self absorbed and not interested in world issues. The are Republicans cause their husbands are and after all you don't want more taxes so you can spend on the latest designer bag! It is depressing!

Re the movies, I was underwhelmed with Hunger Games, tried to read the book and didn't like it either. I really liked Lawrence in Winter's Bone, and thought that was a great movie. I did not like her in HG and I really don't know why at all.

I was surprised at "Cabin in the Woods". I expected much less,,,