Marg
Site Admin

November 25th, 2012, 2:36 pm #151

Lincoln is definitely on my 'must see' list, as well. I am debating about going to see The Life of Pia. I think Ang Lee is a terrific director, but his movies are thoughtful,slow moving and sometimes difficult to follow. I have heard the photography is beautiful in this one.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

November 25th, 2012, 3:46 pm #152

tgir, Lincoln has a very limited release the second week of November. It opened 'wide' on Thanksgiving so maybe it's just arriving now.
iii
iii
iii

tgir
Site Admin

December 9th, 2012, 4:35 pm #153

Just saw Life of Pi (2 D version but there is a 3 d version that perhaps I might try to see as well). Visually one of the most stunning films I've ever seen. I was a bit surprised when I learned the book was going to be made into a film but was very happy to learn that Ang Lee was doing it. I was not disappointed. If you've been to a movie theater recently, you will know to expect the most stunning shots. The film does not disappoint in any way. Every frame is art.

It has been some years since I read the book (shortly after it came out--in 2002, I think) but if memory serves, it is fairly faithful if somewhat simpler and a love interest is added in the film, although the spares the audience some of the most graphic scenes. Be warned: some graphic scenes which will be very upsetting to animal lovers. The book's ending was more ambiguous than the film. Purists might quibble but I don't think the simplification of some things, deletion of one chapter, and some other changes which serve to flesh out the character of Pi detract from the film.
[+] Spoiler
A young boy and several zoo animals, including an adult Bengal tiger are stranded on a life boat and only the boy and tiger survive. You see the tiger attack and consume more than one animal.)
That said, it is a beautifully done film and one that for me, in the end, left me feeling uplifted.
Last edited by tgir on December 9th, 2012, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krystal
Site Admin

December 18th, 2012, 9:17 pm #154

Anyone see Lincoln yet?

tgir
Site Admin

December 19th, 2012, 12:22 am #155

I just saw Lincoln. Very good film, concentration on the efforts to pass the 13th Amendment and the end of the Civil War. I realize this is practically apostasy, but I'm not a big fan of Daniel Day Lewis. That said, it was a very good film, with an interesting take on Lincoln as a man, and giving a very different view of the times and what the political forces were like and the machinations behind the passage of the amendment.

I believe that KMInfinity also saw it and highly recommended it.

Dax
Site Admin

December 28th, 2012, 5:50 am #156

Did a good double-bill today... Django Unchained and the 3-D re-release of Monsters, Inc. Loved both.

Will get to Les Mis next week, and the 3-D Cirque Du Soleil: Worlds Apart.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

December 28th, 2012, 1:40 pm #157

Saw The Hobbit last night but NOT in 3D. It was great! I can't imagine seeing it in 3D because there was so much stuff going on that 2D was more than enough. ;)
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

December 28th, 2012, 2:46 pm #158

Dax have you followed the Spike Lee fallout regarding Django? Any thoughts?
iii
iii
iii

Dax
Site Admin

December 28th, 2012, 7:00 pm #159

I understand why Spike is disinterested in seeing it; that makes sense. As expected, the 'n' word is once again very pervasive in a Tarantino film...

I respect both filmmakers and have enjoyed much of their work very much (just watched Spike's Bad 25: Michael Jackson documentary the other day). It's been fun to see them debate and snipe in the press several times in the past (and set it aside briefly, when Quentin made a cameo in Spike's film, Girl 6), but I like how Spike is saying 'but that's just me' here, and not necessarily judging anybody who might want to see Django.

I understand why people might not want to see something as serious and awful as slavery as a delivery method for a Western rescue-and-revenge adventure... but for me, it was very entertaining, mixed with the usual great dialogue, humor, visuals, perfect music choices, and 'little moments'...

I liked it better than Inglorious Basterds (which I liked, but it was pretty far removed from the film QT had prepared us to see... he'd been talking about his WW2 'guys on a mission' movie for more than a decade, and then it didn't feel like that's what it was, mostly...).

Walton Goggins has a good little bit as a villain in Django. Lots of fun cameos.

Krystal
Site Admin

December 30th, 2012, 5:32 pm #160

I don't like Tarantino's films, they seem too forced or cartoony to me. Lincoln is on my list but def not is Mis. I cry enough in a regular movie. I'll see the Bond film one of these days as well.