KMInfinity
Site Admin

September 29th, 2012, 12:00 am #141

Saw Hugo on cable. Watched it 3 times and fell asleep each time. Finally watched it the 4th time. Was not impressed at all. The background on Melies was cool and I would have rather seen much more of that. Cohen especially as the train nazi was just annoying and creepy. I can't believe it was such a big deal Oscar time.

“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

tgir
Site Admin

September 30th, 2012, 3:16 am #142

I agree that Cohen was creepy but I loved Hugo. Maybe you needed to be at a theater. Seriously, I came out feeling happy and satisfied and that almost never happens at the moves.

Our town theater is closed for renovations, so no chance to see anything new.

Krystal
Site Admin

September 30th, 2012, 4:37 pm #143

I thought it was awful. We turned it off about half way.

Dax
Site Admin

September 30th, 2012, 5:21 pm #144

I'm with tgir. Hugo was brilliant and beautiful to me.

KMI >> The background on Melies was cool and I would have rather seen much more of that.

But it was all LEADING to that, or all ABOUT that...

I haven't read Brian Selznick's book (2007's 'The Invention of Hugo Cabret'), but I'll get to it ... it's great-looking to flip through, and I'd always smile when I see one of those big thick monsters on a student's desk ('it's a silent comic... it's an illustrated novel... it's a film history textbook - it just can't make up it's mind...') ... new one, 2011's Wonderstruck, also looks really cool... I've started seeing that in school libraries...
Last edited by Dax on September 30th, 2012, 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jbrr1212
Elite Members

October 8th, 2012, 8:39 am #145

Dax wrote:It's not an easy name, for sure, but you ARE correct with that spelling.

I expect I'll enjoy The Campaign. I like both guys a lot, and several in the supporting cast.
The supporting cast is really great, the actress who plays Zach Gs (i got it right once i wont push it lol) wife is hysterical. I've seen her in a few other things but wasnt overly familiar with her, she stole the movie imo.

bloss I can understand the 21+ theater closing, Ours is brand new and we've now been twice and both times combined including us there were 20 people there. Granted we went a bit early (5 and 6) but it was on Friday, we were pretty surprised by the lack of people.

Most recently we saw Trouble With the Curve, predictable and not exactly exciting but it wasnt terrible. Its a feel good kinda movie and a couple "special" blue drinks later it was an enjoyable night at the movies.

Dax
Site Admin

October 9th, 2012, 4:04 am #146

>> I've seen her in a few other things but wasn't overly familiar with her, she stole the movie imo.

Sarah Baker... I remember her from VH1's Free Radio... she's on Go On now... funny lady, yes.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1807222/

jbrr1212
Elite Members

October 9th, 2012, 7:49 am #147

Thanks! Yep thats her I just realized its Go On where I know her from most recently, for some reason i never think to look on imdb. I've also seen sweet home alabama about a million times, though i still cant place her in the movie. She is very funny!

tgir
Site Admin

November 11th, 2012, 8:16 pm #148

Just came back from Wreck It Ralph, which was pretty good. I know that I am not the key demographic it's aimed at, but still appreciated the premise, the voice actors and the over all animation. Audience had a lot of kids with parents and it was appropriate for that age, and also enjoyed by adults and I would guess teens/young adults. And I say this as someone who never plays any video games (but remembers playing pinball sometimes--and remembers when Indiana decreed that pinball games were 'gambling' because you could win games--since overturned.)

KMInfinity
Site Admin

November 25th, 2012, 3:56 am #149

I urge everyone to see Spielberg's Lincoln ASAP. One of the best movies, certainly the best historical fiction movie I have seen in years.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

tgir
Site Admin

November 25th, 2012, 5:17 am #150

It's on my list but I may have missed it in my town. Good films tend not to last so long. We saw a couple last weekend with Lincoln as being the next one on deck. It may not have lasted though.... will have to check.