shelle_cr
Site Admin

January 29th, 2011, 4:44 pm #11

Luckily, this hubby has been already brainwashed and he likes Colin a lot :) Few times a year he coems to me and says "Let's watch Pride and Prejudice tonight".

Anyway, we're going to see Black Swan next weekend and Never let me go the following week.

The Princess and the Sailor - board dedicated to Carly & Bo from Days of our lives

blosslover
Site Admin

January 30th, 2011, 11:00 pm #12

I saw The King's Speech today, I took my Mom. She really liked it, and so did I.

shelle_cr
Site Admin

February 7th, 2011, 10:12 pm #13

Glad to hear, I cannot wait for the DVD.

Yesterday, we went to see The Black Swan and tonight Never let me go.

Liked both a lot.

The Swan was darker and more psycho. Very scary and often quite disgusting, but really well done.

Never let me go was more psychological and less scary in the obvious way, but it shook me anyway. I've cried really hard towards the end.

The Princess and the Sailor - board dedicated to Carly & Bo from Days of our lives

Krystal
Site Admin

February 8th, 2011, 5:32 am #14

Just watched "Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest", the last of the 3 Swedish movies. Fabulous. A bit long but I hung onto every word. I am bummed again at the fact that there will be no more. I love Noomi Rapace and the guy who plays Bloomquist.
Last edited by Krystal on February 8th, 2011, 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

tgir
Site Admin

February 8th, 2011, 7:52 am #15

I also just watched The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest and to be honest, I didn't like it nearly as much as I did the previous ones. Perhaps it was just that I wasn't in the right mood or frame of mind for that particular film.

shelle_cr
Site Admin

February 8th, 2011, 9:05 am #16

Have you read the books? I wanted to but a friend told me it was too violent for me and I think she's right. So I'm not sure I want to see it on the screen, big or small.

blosslover
Site Admin

February 8th, 2011, 12:50 pm #17

I only saw the first movie in the trilogy. If you can't take violence, you should skip it.

Krystal
Site Admin

February 8th, 2011, 3:01 pm #18

I didn't think it was that violent. The rape was rough to watch, but then so many great movies have similar storylines. I guess I watch a lot of violent movies. In any case, the books were fabulous, some of the best story telling in I don't know how long.

Shelle, you should read the books for sure. You can skip the rape part, when it starts just skip it and go on with the story. Lisbeth is a character not to be missed, and her strength dealing with almost incomprehensible circumstances is inspirational.

The characters are so well written you feel like they really exist even when you are done with the books.

tgir
Site Admin

February 8th, 2011, 3:10 pm #19

Yes, read all the books, in rather quick succession. Definitely violent. It was probably just the mood (hubby brought home the dvd to watch that night and I really wasn't in the mood for this kind of film. I think it is definitely a mood kind of thing for me) and I found I kept being irritated with how the film differed from the book. Understandable, of course, that the film would make some simplifications, etc. Usually, I can overlook it for the sake of enjoying the film but in this one I could not. Don't get me wrong: the acting is really good. I also think that the film and book both rely on a lot of motivation from a 'secret' part of the government to justify what happened to Lisbeth and what happens in the movie. I found this very unsatisfying--difficult to follow, and honestly, not terribly realistic. As far as the film goes, part of it was lost, I am sure, in translation from Swedish to English subtitles.

I have extremely mixed feelings about the books and films. On one hand, the Lisbeth character is one of the most interesting and compelling I have encountered in a long time. But at the same time, he veers into creating in Lisbeth an weird and unpleasant male fantasy: she's brilliant and beautiful in a weird way, physically very tiny--almost childlike in her build- but very strong--she can kick some serious ass--yet can be raped! By just your average middle aged bureaucrat--no need to be physically imposing. Just perverted.

I think I am just done with reading or watching anything that depicts a female character as a rape victim, being raped, abused, etc. until men start writing about exactly what it is that makes (some) men feel entitled to rape women. Lisbeth likes stereotypical male interests: computers, motorcycles, martial arts. She likes having sex with men or women and is not afraid to take the lead. She's not cuddly or into emotional bonding, so there's none of that worry about post coital affection or really any sort of affection or being asked to fulfill any of her emotional needs. She doesn't share them. OH: and when she acquires a lot of money, she goes out and gets a boob job. Def. a dream girl for a certain type of man.

The original title of the first book was Men who Hate Women (I think) and to be honest, on a certain surely unintentional way, I think this is what all of the books are about: hating women.
Last edited by tgir on February 8th, 2011, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krystal
Site Admin

February 8th, 2011, 3:55 pm #20

Funny I can not disagree more. Larrsen (sp?) was a big advocate for women's rights and if you recall between chapters he quoted depressing statistics about rape and battering of women. The things I read about him gave me the impression that he actively worked at helping abused women.

Lisbeth was small and looked like a child but was very srong. That to me showed strength is not in size alone. Like you don't have to be some muscle head to protect yourself.

Yes, Lisbeth was raped. Rape is a reality everywhere and in some countries like Africa, it is a daily occurence. The sex trade goes on even here, Sweden and other so called "civilized" countries.

The movies skipped a lot but was still 2 1/2 hours long, so it had to. I never saw a movie based on a book that didn't. That's why I would read the books first.

I thought it was the best book and movie series I can recall. Lisbeth, totally unique character who survived terrible circumstances. Great writing, great characters, well cast and acted movies. My opinion.