Helen Wagner Passed Away

mozartkc
Elite Members

May 3rd, 2010, 6:09 am #1

:( I didn't see this posted anywhere yet. I hope this is the right place. I always check online before bed just to see whats going on in the world and I ran into an article about Helen Wagner passing away! :( This is so sad! She was such a vital character on ATWT for all of 54 years playing Nancy Hughes. She was 91 years old. I am so glad that the writers had some material for her a few weeks ago. I am also very saddened to know that she won't be on the last episode :( Aloha everyone. Im sure I will cry enough for the entire Buzz board tonight :(

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

May 3rd, 2010, 9:54 am #2

Just saw it this morning. Thanks Mozartkc.

Helen Wagner, ‘As the World Turns’ Actress, Dies At 91

CBS/courtesy Everett Collection
Helen Wagner in the 1960s.

* May 2, 2010, 9:57 PM ET

Helen Wagner, who played Nancy Hughes on the soap opera “As the World Turns,” has died. She was 91 years old.

Wagner played Hughes on “As the World Turns” with only a few breaks since the show debuted in 1956. She reportedly holds the Guinness World Record for having the longest-running character played by one actress.

Born in Lubbock, Tex., in 1918, she was given a lifetime achievement Daytime Emmy Award in 2004, her only Emmy win.

“As the World Turns” is scheduled to air its final episode on September 17.

You can see a clip of Wagner here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjIvRYX3 ... r_embedded

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/05/ ... ies-at-91/
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

soapmom

May 3rd, 2010, 10:30 am #3

Awww....I didn't even get a chance to see her last time on t.v. I haven't been watching for awhile. I heard this news this morning. How sad..... :(

mozartkc
Elite Members

May 3rd, 2010, 2:08 pm #4

It is very very sad :( . She felt almost like a great-grandmother to a lot of us. I really enjoyed seeing her last air date when she had her talk with Casey and told him to keep her ring because one day he would fall in love and marry. That scene brought a tear to my eye. I remember thinking "wow...she is getting old!" We have lost 2 soap legends this year. Frances Reid and now Helen Wagner. Soaps are really at a changing point and dying a slow painful death :(

tgir
Site Admin

May 3rd, 2010, 4:50 pm #5

How very sad! And what a wonderful thing that we had her for so long. May she rest in peace.

jbrr1212
Elite Members

May 3rd, 2010, 7:56 pm #6

mozartkc wrote:We have lost 2 soap legends this year. Frances Reid and now Helen Wagner. Soaps are really at a changing point and dying a slow painful death :(
We also lost James Mitchell (Palmer, AMC). Its been a tough year.

Its a sad day for ATWT fans. I just hope somewhere Goutman had some foresight and theres a few Nancy scenes left in the can for later. I know thats probably to much to hope for but, they better at least give her a FITTING tribute. She and the longtime ATWT fans deserve that much. All I know is theres a really great soap playing somewhere else right now.

blosslover
Site Admin

May 4th, 2010, 12:03 am #7

ICAM will all your sentiments. It has been a tough year to be a fan.

Marg
Site Admin

May 4th, 2010, 9:15 pm #8

We were fortunate to have had Helen and "Nancy" for as long as we did. Reaching the wonderful age of 91 is definitely a gift.

She will be sorely missed.

My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends.
Last edited by Marg on May 4th, 2010, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scorpioww
Elite Members

May 5th, 2010, 2:09 am #9

I was so saddened to hear of her passing as well. I almost immediately thought about the final scene of ATWT that myself and others were so sure would be Nancy saying "goodnight dear" to (most likely Bob).

I hope they give her a fitting tribute as well. I wonder if they will include Nancy's death before the finale now. Just so sad.

Dax
Site Admin

June 1st, 2010, 4:58 am #10

Nancy's final ATWT is on Tuesday, June 1st...