Helen Wagner Dies

Deleted User
Deleted User

May 3rd, 2010, 11:09 pm #1

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b179147 ... _dies.html

As the World Turns may stop rotating in September, but the life of one of its longest-running veterans has ended a bit sooner.

Helen Wagner, who spoke the CBS soap opera's first-ever line of dialogue—"Good morning, dear"—when it debuted on April 2, 1956, died Saturday at age 91. No further details have been given.

The Texas native landed in the Guinness Book of World Records for playing the same character, Nancy Hughes, for 54 years, the longest of any actor. In 2004, she received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.

"All of us at As the World Turns are deeply saddened by Helen's passing," executive producer Christopher Goutman said in a statement to CBS News. "She is loved by generations of fans, and while we will miss her greatly, Helen will always remain the heart and soul of As the World Turns."

Cheryl
Elite Members

May 4th, 2010, 2:23 am #2

I was so sad when I heard this earlier today. She's like the last of a dying breed. Wasn't Nancy just on the show with Bob and Kim getting married again? Wow....to think she was still working at the age of 91. Amazing!

HOT, HOT, HOT, SMOKIN' HOT!!!!

Lighthouse

May 4th, 2010, 3:29 am #3

ATWT better do an hour episode tribute to the soul of the show!

jbrr1212
Elite Members

May 4th, 2010, 3:35 am #4

Yes she was on for the Julianne Moore Bob/Kim eppy. Apparently still quite with it as she was giving Julianne notes on her scenes. She was also due to be back on set this week :(

Cheryl
Elite Members

May 5th, 2010, 3:02 am #5

jbrr1212 wrote:Yes she was on for the Julianne Moore Bob/Kim eppy. Apparently still quite with it as she was giving Julianne notes on her scenes. She was also due to be back on set this week :(
Oh man. That is so sad. Well the good news is that Helen Wagner was busy and vital and lived a full, LONG life, for sure, right up to the very end. It's the end of an era.

HOT, HOT, HOT, SMOKIN' HOT!!!!

Jeannie

May 5th, 2010, 1:53 pm #6

I was sooo sad when I read about this the other day. What a wonderful actress and working clear up to the end of her life! The heart of the show is gone, but if she had to go, I'm glad that it happened before she had to see the end of the show that she spent so much of her life working on :(

jbrr1212
Elite Members

May 5th, 2010, 8:47 pm #7

Here is a short tribute from the cast and crew

http://www.cbs.com/daytime/as_the_world ... &play=true

There are rumors there may be one more Nancy scene that will air on June 1. She was due to tape the tribute to Lisa episode this week and was said to play a large part in it, so sadly that wont happen but there is supposed to be some sort of small coincidental tribute Nancy in that eppy as well.

frienz

May 6th, 2010, 12:40 am #8

It was sad. I was truly hoping she'd speak the final words in September. I personally think that they should replay a line of hers as a voice over at the end of the final episode as a tribute to her.