amy76791

September 19th, 2009, 6:08 pm #101

They did a fairly decent job of tying things up. Most of the stories came together well. There were some really great moments and it seemed that they tried to honor the history of some of the characters. (Although at times I wondered how much was due to the actors, not the writers.)

It's good to see the 4 Musketeers together again and to see people happy. Even though we didn't see much, it's kind of nice to know that Ed is with Holly and Alex is with Fletcher. While it was nice to see the actors from the past, it would have been nice if some of them (Nola, Bridget and Dylan especially) had more to do than just be in the background at the wedding. Is it just me or did the Y&R people have more to do than Dylan??

I missed seeing Vanessa in the finale (and could have done without others). But it was really disappointing to see that even to bitter end the writers have no idea what to do with Matt. Everyone else seemed to have a happily ever after.

Last edited by amy76791 on September 19th, 2009, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dax
Site Admin

September 19th, 2009, 7:17 pm #102

The extreme compression of the final days was kinda hysterical... everybody moving back to or away from town, getting married, Alan dying... loved how Alan and Phillip's surgery was last Thursday/Friday, but they were up and about and attending weddings within days...

Bummer that Alan-Michael and Amanda were not present for the release of the ashes on the beach.

I've posted the final airdate counts...
Last edited by Dax on September 19th, 2009, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lexilou
Elite Members

September 19th, 2009, 8:38 pm #103

I didn't start crying until I saw Fletcher; I don't know why. I love him and Alex together. Missed Alan Michael and Amanda at the funeral also. So glad someone mentioned Dylan, I thought he was supposed to be there, but I must have missed him somehow. Is he still with Bridget? I would have loved for these characters to come back earlier so we got to see more of them. I liked the Mallet/Dinah scene, but I liked them together and now they are :) Dax, shame on you for wanting Michelle to dump that fine piece of man, Danny! I love them together also!

I do think the babies were too old in the flashfoward also, but then it's been quite awhile since I've been around 1 year olds.

Dax
Site Admin

September 19th, 2009, 9:24 pm #104

>> I love him and Alex together.

Me, too.

>> So glad someone mentioned Dylan, I thought he was supposed to be there, but I must have missed him somehow.

He was there, but if you'd blinked... dancing with Reva once... and when Nola and Bridget were talking to Matt, Dylan walked up and said 'It's good to see you' and they gave each other a little hug...

>> Is he still with Bridget?

They were not together while Dylan (that bad Brian Gaskill recast) was in town last, and they weren't 'together' here, but we may feel free to make up our own What Happened Next with them if we like...

Bridget said Peter was starting at Springfield U.

>> Dax, shame on you for wanting Michelle to dump that fine piece of man, Danny! I love them together also!

I always thought he was a lying slimeball, and Michelle would be much better off with me.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

September 19th, 2009, 10:16 pm #105

wrote:Funny how flashforward Natalia looks pregnant again... how'd THAT happen?...
:fall: :fall: :fall:

I agreed with everything you said, and the above thought even crossed my mind. lolol

It wasn't a perfect ending, but FAR better than I expected given the mess of last winter. It could have been dreadful even based on the rumors and spoilers floating around just weeks ago.

I wonder if a tribute dvd, including bonus materials (of what I'm assuming to be hours of footage that never made it to screen) would ever be released.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

blosslover
Site Admin

September 19th, 2009, 10:43 pm #106

Starting from Dax's thoughts of last week.

I liked the double wedding too, and am glad that Tina Sloan asked for the scene at Maureen's grave.

Enjoyed Marj and Grant in Alan's death, and of anyone to die on screen that was one of the better choices from a dramatic standpoint. Wish they would have mentioned Alan-Michael and Amanda.

Supposedly Dinah killed some guy that posing as Edmund it doesn't make much sense. Mallet was noble because he couldn't deal with sharing his son, that was strange. It wasn't as if Marina cheated on him to make baby Henry.

LOL Dax you want Michelle for yourself right?

Daisy/Ashlee going to school could have been on another episode, and we didn't need another Remy/Christina wedding. Matt and Maureen was filler, he is supposed to be with that teacher. Jackson is the maiden name of Rick's mom. Frank and Blake scenes at the bridge was the last thing Liz shot. It was just okay and on screen we saw their screennames while IMing as frankly with a random number and cbtm spfld (which stood for Christina Blake Thorpe Marler) not whatever names they gave on camera. It was weird that they didn't match.

I missed Vanessa too at the end of the week.

Reva will be upset to know Jeffrey is alive, Jonathan knew and lied. How is that far to Colin regardless of what ones feels about his father?

One year later stuff.. Shayne/Marina doesn't matter, Bill/Lizzie having HBIV... Remy/Christina naming the kid after Clayton okay. Frank/Blake whatever doesn't mean that Blake won't leave him for Ross who isn't really dead or for a really hot friend of one of her kids when they are grown.

Dinah and Mallet were at least smiling for once.

I wanted more of Ed, and more of Holly. What we got with Blake/Holly was so minimal and about Olivia.

Glad that Jay took the hat when he was canned by GL so we could see him wear it on these last shows.

Nola and Bridget was great to see them, wish it was more. Glad for Quint/Nola off screen reunion, liked the Bridget and Dylan hug. Dylan was in pictures with Reva, Shayne and Jonathan which was nice.

Phillip and Beth being together is good. Rick finally getting a girl was good payoff, and they ignored Leah and Jude. Poor Rick's kids.

Cyrus being Jenna's son was silly. Are we supposed to believe that Jenna was born in 1955. Yikes. Like with James and Daisy, I am not really sure I buy that Cyrus and Mel would still be dating.

Olivia and Natalia should have gotten a kiss, seriously if I had to sit through Blake/Frank and Shayne/Marina...

Peyton was SORASed, but Colin looked too big too.

LOL about Natalia looking pregnant again.

The last week is what it is...we can continue the story now in our minds anyway we want. It could have been a lot worse if the original spoiler panned out or if they didn't have time to bring certain people back to canvas. Imagine what the last few weeks would have been like without Phillip.
Last edited by blosslover on September 19th, 2009, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dax
Site Admin

September 20th, 2009, 6:24 am #107

>> It was just okay and on screen we saw their screennames while IMing as frankly with a random number and cbtm spfld (which stood for Christina Blake Thorpe Marler) not whatever names they gave on camera. It was weird that they didn't match.

Yeah, I noticed that, both that her initials were in her screenname (and he's 'frankly') and that their dialogue didn't match what we'd seen with our eyes...

>> doesn't mean that Blake won't leave him for Ross who isn't really dead or for a really hot friend of one of her kids when they are grown.

Right. True on both counts.

>> Rick finally getting a girl was good payoff, and they ignored Leah and Jude. Poor Rick's kids.

I'm fine with not seeing Leah - that Michelle/Rick line about the kids at the barbecue was enough, she was there for that.

Phillip at least mentioned Zach, yeah, but Jude has gone a long while without mention... they should be SORASed contemporaries of James, right? (Daisy/James is still so icky to me- he's NAMED for her FATHER... he was born, and she was just a wee bit younger then than she appears to be now...)

The ending was what it was, yup. The Kreizman/Wheeler regime didn't really do anything I liked except the earliest appearances of Jonathan (based in part, I'm sure, in the relief that came with Sandy not being Jonathan) and that special 70th Anniversary episode...

Last edited by Dax on September 20th, 2009, 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User
Deleted User

September 20th, 2009, 12:53 pm #108

I only saw bits and pieces of the last week. At the end of the day, it's sad that it really is over, not because the show has been of any quality for a number of years but because the potential was still there for a recovery (assuming an end to EW's embarrassing production model).

The enjoyment I got out of the finale was largely a result simply of some of the dynamics between the actors and seeing familiar faces as opposed to the writing team having done a good job. They threw in the "there is a destiny that makes us brothers" quote at the beginning of the show, but any attempt to make that message resonate through the story they told was merely superficial.

Perhaps because I have been checked out of the show for so long, I felt the time devoted to characters such as Remy, Christina, and Ashley was excessive. It would have been more sensible to have written characters like that out in the months preceding the wrap-up in order to have fewer and meatier loose ends to tie up at the very end.

Alan's death was a must, but it seemed rush. They should have carefully, deliberately built to it for a year rather than a week.

What was interesting from the cameos was the demonstration that a lot of these people could seamlessly have been reintegrated into the show on a full-time basis. Mindy was window-dressing, but believable window-dressing. I liked the Fletcher/Alex interaction. The Fletcher/Bill moment about Ben was very awkward and not very credible, which is fitting given that Ben's write-off was very awkward and not very credible.

I didn't really understand what they were going for with Blake. Working at Company and hooking up with Frankie? Lazy.

Agree with Dax on Olivia/Natalia and spineless, clueless P&G prohibiting a (gasp) on-screen kiss. But I thought it was a silly story, anyway.

Billy/Vanessa reunion is great but it, too, felt slapdash; again in fairness, I've only seen a handful of episodes.

It was apparent and totally understandable that many of the actors were eager to just get to the finish line already -- it was clearly a physically uncomfortable working environment and one not conducive to actors really practicing their craft, as echoed by the recent comments from Garrett, L. Brown, and others.

Yes, the wrap-up could have been uglier (e.g., no Phillip; Jeffrey all over the place; NuCassie stinking up the joint, etc.), and some of the seeds planted for the future were mildly interesting. The glaring absences to me were Harley and A-M, and endings for others (India, Amanda, Marah, Samantha, Claire, Peter) would've been great, too. And then there is Ross, which really brings me to the point that everything that poisoned this show in the end was self-inflicted: the loss of its identity and related nosedive in the quality of the writing all resulted from conscious decisions by the people running it.

I'm not really sure this week was true farewell to GL; I said goodbye a long time ago and the YouTube-level production values; constant, inappropriate piping in of bad music; and presence of strangers (Karla Mosley and Murray Bartlett are not appropriate swaps for Beth Ehlers and Jerry verDorn) were constant reminders of the fact that this was really a sham masquerading as GL and has been for some time now.
Last edited by Guest on September 20th, 2009, 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dax
Site Admin

September 20th, 2009, 3:25 pm #109

>> The Fletcher/Bill moment about Ben was very awkward and not very credible, which is fitting given that Ben's write-off was very awkward and not very credible.

Amen to that.

>> Billy/Vanessa reunion is great but it, too, felt slapdash; again in fairness, I've only seen a handful of episodes.

It wouldn't have mattered if you saw more. We weren't given the opportunity (in their handful of filler scenes over the last year or so) to see Vanessa 'fall' for Billy's charms again... the audience just had to rely on knowing that she's always loved him... the Matt/Vanessa break-up was also really crappy.. years ago, there was all this tension that Dinah might try to take her Mom's young husband... well, Matt/Dinah DID finally happen, but it was treated almost as a nothing, no big deal... Vanessa was dumping Matt because he invested some money poorly, and lied about it...

>> and endings for others (India, Amanda, Marah, Samantha, Claire, Peter) would've been great, too.

Bridget gave an update on Peter- he's starting at Springfield U...

Yeah, so much of the background (or, um, overpowering FOREGROUND) music is truly terrible.
Last edited by Dax on September 20th, 2009, 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tgir
Site Admin

September 20th, 2009, 10:15 pm #110

Yes, to pretty much everything above.

A lot of quibbles I am letting slide because I am just so damned grateful for some happy endings.

I don't know that I found the mention of missing Ben to be awkward. I was just thrilled that he was mentioned, and no mention of how horribly things ended.

It was fitting that Fletcher came to take Alex away for a nice, long trip after Alan's death. Honestly, the best thing possible at this time of her life. And a good thing, to look forward instead of backward.

I found the absence of Nick or Alan Michael to be much more glaring than no Amanda or no Justin or even no Hope. But not worse than no Clarissa, no Kevin, no Jason, no Peter. They could/should have been around at the end, and all along, really. It would have been nice to have Harley back, with the boys, or at least the boys. I understand why BE couldn't /wouldn't have been there, but just saying, it would have been a nice gesture.

I took Dinah/Mallet to be together, married and so in love that Dinah has to relive her own wedding vows at every opportunity.

There are many things I would quibble and out and out argue about if the show were to go on. Why were Olivia and Natalia the ones picking out baby names? Frank certainly should have been as much involved as Natalia and more than Olivia. And no matter what I cannot imagine Olivia falling for Natalia or anyone like her, male or female. Pretty, sure, but personality definitely lacking. I can see why some felt cheated of even a kiss, but I never felt they made sense together, even if they had always been written as into women.

I still think that James was very well cast--looked just right and his mannerisms were spot on. Hate the way he was written, and hooking up with his step sister is just gross, but so has been Daisy.

Remy/Christina were always so pretty and plastic, it is no wonder that the only thing that anybody could think of to do with them was to have them get married again and again and again. Who cares? There is absolutely nothing behind the (admittedly staggering) good looks and bubbly personality. YAWN. and YAWN to Cyrus and Mel: aside from being both attractive and having reciprocating genitalia, why would they hook up? No offense to either actor, but neither character had a purpose on the show and certainly, the show needn't have wasted time showing us that they were together.

But all that aside, I am still glad for all of the happy endings. Too bad the show couldn't pick up where this regime left it: Daisy and Ashley out of town; Reva/Josh, Billy/Vanessa, Rick/Mindy, Phillip/Beth, Billy/Lizzie. Let those Marler kids tear up the canvas for a while, especially with Peter back in town, at Springfield U. Good reason for Nola and Bridget to visit as well.

I will miss Guiding Light a great deal.

Always.

Edited to add: I honestly wish that the last shot had been of Blake, opening the door and crying: Ross!

Oh, and the other quibble: why on earth, with that beautiful lighthouse available as backround, did they shoot Josh with a parking lot behind him??? Distracting. And dumb.
Last edited by tgir on September 21st, 2009, 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.