Krystal
Site Admin

November 28th, 2016, 8:25 pm #41

I meant to say all of Pittsburgh is kind of rural, not weird. It does have its own unique character and flavor.

Dax
Site Admin

November 28th, 2016, 8:56 pm #42

Stars Hollow has quirky and silly characters. Some of them, yes, are close to the caricatures present in, say, Newhart's Vermont, but I don't agree with tgir that Amy Sherman-Palladino and her husband are idiots, or that their attitude towards their characters is condescending. If anyone is offended by this, I think they're trying awfully hard to be... But yeah, I will agree this isn't a show for everybody. It's pretty darned 'cutesy'... Krystal, you wouldn't like it.

Did anybody watch NBC's Ed with Tom Cavanaugh, Julie Bowen, Michael Ian Black, etc.? That was a great little show that is kinda 'lost' now - it wasn't ever released on dvd, isn't available to stream anywhere... that also captured the joys of a small community really well and made you wish you could live there with them...

tgir
Site Admin

November 28th, 2016, 10:12 pm #43

I don't think--and didn't say that they were idiots. I am sure they intended their Stars Hollow to be an homage to the beautiful small towns in New Englad. But it is so clear to me that all their time in small towns was spent at some quaint and expensive B&B. which is fine: Newhart did that show and while I thought Larry and the Darryls were funny, they were clearly caracatures broadly drawn. And worked. In large part because Bob and Joanna were obviously outsiders and somewhat out of their element. Gomer and Goober and even Barney were pretty broadly drawn as well. but my complaint isn't with any of the characters at all.

Stars Hollow seemed to be completely drawn from a big city outsider's postcards of the place. By people who would die if they actually had to spend a week there. But had a fun time she they did that thing that time..

My complaints are more political than theatrical. Small towns are genuinely struggling and so are their people who don't have the option of appealing to fabulously wealthy parents but instead work for wealthy people who got that way by screwing over their workers and undermining public education to ensure a steady stream of workers with a mediocre education and low self esteem and no real shot at better unless they sever all ties--abandon family and the good things about where they grew up. If Stars Hollow had been remote realistic, the bar would t have been secret but would have had a cousin on every third corner.
Last edited by tgir on November 28th, 2016, 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

November 28th, 2016, 11:04 pm #44

Not peeking above. Dropping by to say that I checked out some old reviews and thread discussions on various sites while rewatching. I never followed the show online "live" like I would today.

I did NOT know that there is a strong anti ASP/GG faction who despise the "sex is bad" theme running thru the show. But once it was pointed out, ho boy is it ever a subtext, and makes me increasingly turned off by a lot of the conflicts/plots. The mini-arc where Paris has sex for the first time, then finds out she didn't get into Harvard, then falls apart on C-Span... yikes. Such a trope I didn't expect on GG, and the fact that I didn't notice it the first time around makes me realize just how far we have NOT come, and how unreconstructed I am at my subconscious core.

If the scenes were written with the intent of highlighting a real world issue, then fine. But these scenes seem to literally buy-in to that mentality. Lorelai literally says with a smirk to herself, "I have the good girl." when she overhears Rory tell Paris she is a virgin, after Paris says she has lost her virginity to Jamie, the Princeton guy.

GG is NOT holding up well for me on rewatch, even after skipping the binge-every episode approach and now only watching the "best of each season." It's moving into the 2nd tier - ambitious, with strong quality markers, but very flawed,.
iii
iii
iii

Dax
Site Admin

November 28th, 2016, 11:22 pm #45

I don't remember Paris losing her virginity, but she had a long and icky affair with one of her college professors, right?

I love the show, despite its flaws. I'm not sure how much my feelings will/would change on a re-watch... I suspect the things I liked AND disliked might be amplified for me...

I do try not to let these things influence me, but I did watch the new season (and a couple Bledel/Graham interviews) with the 'new information'/poison in my head that one of the lead actresses is, um, not-a-very-nice-person, and is highly unpopular with a very large percentage of the cast. That was disappointing to me, as I do think she's a really good actress...

tgir
Site Admin

November 28th, 2016, 11:41 pm #46

OK, Dax: spill who is a not very nice person or at least provide links or source. I have my suspicions based on other info...

KMInfinity
Site Admin

November 29th, 2016, 2:09 am #47

I know LG and Scott Patterson had issues, and LG and AB were not buds... hmmmm...
iii
iii
iii

Dax
Site Admin

November 29th, 2016, 3:37 am #48

Yeah. Both things true, and I'd heard that about Patterson and Graham during the run (which seemed odd, since their onscreen chemistry was really good...). Still, I always got a positive-ish vibe from her when she'd do an interview here and there (which I guess wasn't often, but...), I thought she seemed like a cool lady. Apparently, she's a diva in all caps, and almost everybody doesn't enjoy working with her (I guess boyfriend Krause must be an obvious exception, and maybe things were different at Parenthood than GG... she and Whitman appear to have gotten along better than she and Bledel, too..), such that it's REALLY impressive that this thing was able to come together...

Nothing to link to, though I did skim through a tabloid in a store the other day that said a lot of the same things I've heard, though it was maybe a little kinder...
Last edited by Dax on November 29th, 2016, 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

tgir
Site Admin

November 29th, 2016, 3:49 am #49

Wow, it is not who I thought it was after all.

Krystal
Site Admin

November 29th, 2016, 4:52 am #50

Regarding the City vs. Small-town thing I watched election night as the cities went blue and all the rural areas and distance suburbs went red and voted for Trump. That is enough to tell me I don't want to live in any of them because certainly the racist and homophobic index is far higher than it is in cities. Although I know that college cities tend to be much more liberal for instance Austin is the only city in Texas that actually votes blue
Due to the influence of the college there.
Last edited by Krystal on November 29th, 2016, 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.