KMInfinity
Site Admin

November 26th, 2016, 10:41 pm #31

aw shucks.

I looked thru "best episodes" lists and chose 5-6 per seasons 3-7 and am going to try to watch one a night until Christmas break, then binge, then buy myself a free month of Netflix and see where I am.

It helps that a colleague has convinced me that even "downsized" my curriculum is so strong it is still better than most, so I am also in the process of revamping my curriculum with the goal of making my life easier. Leading to more walking dogs and dinners out with friends and more reading and... NETFLIX TIME! :P
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Dax
Site Admin

November 26th, 2016, 11:29 pm #32

Still shattered about the lost typing last night.

Maybe I'll piecemail some of it back over the next few days. I just said so MUCH... grr, argh.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

November 27th, 2016, 2:43 pm #33

I know that feeling soooo well from Survivor analysis. Sorry.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

tgir
Site Admin

November 28th, 2016, 4:20 pm #34

Dax, please do try to find time to write up your thoughts on this reunion show.

Here's the part where I kind of ....poop all over the show. Not the characters: I liked them, for the most part, although Michel is just a big bore, imo. And Logan and his friends made me want to barf continually. What a bunch of baby Trumpettes. Ugh. Now I need another shower.

Keep in mind that I didn't watch most of Gilmore Girls during its run and I didn't binge or even selectively sample from archived episodes. I mostly watched the 4 seasons with some basic background: I knew who characters were, knew backstories (mostly). Please don't hate me:

I really really take exception to the way they treated Stars Hollow as a town, especially the notion that Stars Hollow would still be on a septic system. No way. That would not happen. Also the Mayor talking about the itsy bitsy things that the town's budget carries. No. Just not possible. No way no how. That town needs money to pay for streets and lights and water and sewage (no septic!), policing! licencing, dozens and dozens of bureaucratic infrastructure that no town can function without.

Why does it matter? Bear with me, I'm about to go all political.

Reading about election results and the Great Divide between urban vs rural areas, I have to say that I can understand why rural areas--which truly are more like a combination of rural plus small towns and cities--are pissed off. The condescension was palpable--and deeply offensive. And this is just one show.

Reality is that people in rural areas and small towns and cities are generally very decent, hard working INTELLIGENT and YES: EDUCATED! Informed! people who choose their place of residence for hundreds of reasons which are as valid as the reasons that urbanites and suburbanites choose their places of residence. Generally, jobs are less plentiful and pay far less. Some cost of living is much less but when we moved from a large metropolitan area to a small city surrounded by farm land, a river valley, bluffs and prairies, I was shocked that only houses --and labor from people such as plumbers--were less expensive. Groceries were much more expensive. Clothing, toys, books: all much more expensive plus I had to travel a good ways to find a far less expansive selection. That's just the starters. Because I live in a college town, it's relatively diverse but the truth is that all of rural America is much more diverse than it was when I was growing up surrounded by farm land.

Cute picturesque small towns and rural areas exist for more than to give city folk a break from their oh so busy oh so important sophisticated, on trend urban lifestyles. Y'all are completely generic and forgettable and the dollars you deign to drop in our communities don't go nearly as far as you think they do. BTW, written as someone who loves to vacation on the North Shore and in the Arrowhead parts of my state, where tourist dollars are necessary but there is a constant battle between the low paying/relatively low damage to the environment tourist dollars and the better paying jobs that also hurt the environment but can actually support a family without the need to insert your tongue in the ass of the snob who is deigning to frequent your establishment.
Last edited by tgir on November 28th, 2016, 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dax
Site Admin

November 28th, 2016, 4:38 pm #35

The septic/sewer issue is also a continuity issue, as an early episode had Lorelai tell Christopher that Stars Hollow had gone sewer...

Taylor's an idiot, and I kinda sorta see your point(s), but mostly disagree... the show is more a love letter to small towns than it is mocking of them... the town is filled with some goofy characters, sure, but it's presented as an idyllic place to live...

I'll write up stuff soon.

tgir
Site Admin

November 28th, 2016, 4:49 pm #36

The conversion to sewer would have happened long before Lorelai's time. The fact that it's mentioned in this run is condescension. It's not cute/funny and it's the writers who are idiots.

I understand it's supposed to be a love letter. But it's condescending. In the extreme. The fact that it's so condescending and supposed to be a love letter is pretty offensive.

Small towns are not picture postcards of colorful locals and local color and scenery. And this is written by someone who lives in a town where someone is called Steve the Pirate because this grown--middle aged man! dresses in very colorful monochromatic pirate costumes. Every damn day. He's also a not very nice person but he's oh, so colorful! Everybody knows who you are talking about when you say Steve the Pirate, just as everyone knew who you were talking about when you talked about the crazy excommunicated nun who rode around town on her bicycle with a huge sign on the back, elucidating all of her top conspiracy theories. And then she died and the town mourned and forgot about her. Oh, and my dogs are also local color, with their photos snapped by countless students and prospective students and visiting families. Photos seen round the world--even in newspapers, actually. We are stopped by new students who tell about hearing about them from their older cousin/sibling/neighbor who went to school here. How cute.

And why would Lorelai need to go out to the Pacific trail when she's got perfectly good--and as challenging--trails much closer. I mean: really.
Last edited by tgir on November 28th, 2016, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dax
Site Admin

November 28th, 2016, 5:40 pm #37

The positive - The revival perfectly recaptured the same tone, feeling, characters and their voices... it was the same show, with a nine year hiatus. I was very pleased to spend another four episodes (or six-plus hours, or the running time of eight-plus 'hour-long' episodes) in this charming world. I didn't want to read spoilers AND I was anxious, so I gobbled this up in about a twelve hour span, probably the fastest I've ever done a Netflix offering in its entirety.

Negative - The principals' major character arcs are not fully realized, and they might have been better achieved if they hadn't been compressing a year's worth of story into six hours. Not every bit of comedy works (and didn't on the original show, either, even loving it as I did..). Some of the small cameos are more distracting than they are fun. I wanted more of some things and less of other things, but overall...

I'm satisfied. I do co-sign on most of Sepinwall's reviews (both the non-spoiler and spoiler ones).

These characters always fight really well. Their words always have a lot of emotion, even though they (almost always) never resort to the cliche of saying 'I love you' to one another.

Specifics.
[+] Spoiler
I love Kelly Bishop (Emily) so much. She's so good in every scene she's got.

Rory and Logan's relationship is even ickier than it was a decade ago. He seems to be a wee bit less of an asshole than he was, but... we're not given a lot of information about the French fiance, and while almost certainly not a love match, it IS, you know, totally 'wrong'... The forgettable boyfriend Paul was funny at first (Luke and Lorelai in the early scenes, 'he has not been in this house, has he?') but wears out its welcome pretty fast... she keeps him on a string for three YEARS? Strains credibility, and makes them all look really mean (whereas the Arrested Development 'Her?' for Ann was mostly just a Michael/George Michael thing, and more tone-appropriate...). I didn't like this, but I don't have to agree with Rory's life choices, of course... I just felt it was, you know, 'sad'.

I liked the appearances of Bunheads people.
I didn't like the celebrity chef cameos, because they strained credibility a bit too far...
Kinda indifferent to the Parenthood cameos... Krause's Park Ranger scene was the best of the three, for sure.

I love Paris, and she is much missed after she disappears after the first two. The Tristan-inspired breakdown in the bathroom (yeah, why would he be there? Expelled a year in...?) was a bit too much, but the fight with Francie (one of the few alum appearances that I don't think was revealed beforehand) was fun... loved her with Luke and Lor ('How much time did you spend with this girl?') and she was great fun to watch while watching Lane's band...

I liked the musical. It does go on awhile, but... it was funny.

Lorelai on the 'Wild' trip had some fun moments, but maybe went a bit too long...

As the time was ticking down in the last episode, there was this little mental checklist... still have to see Christopher, Dean, Sookie, have a wedding, and then the Final Four Words...

Dean scene was 'fine', but I don't think we would have been missing much without it.

Sookie scene was good. Enjoyed some of the Lor/Michel in-her-absence-what-do-we-do stuff, but I don't know... think I'd rather she have been 'in the other room' than the semi-write-off she got...

I would have liked to have seen more of Jess. I don't know if that was time/budget/availability or what, but I like him (and the idea of he and Rory together, which could still happen, sure) and do/did not like Logan...

Kirk and the pig was funny.

It bothered me that Lorelai lied to Luke about Emily not attending therapy with her any more... it bothered me that he didn't call her out on her lie as soon as he discovered it... yeah, I GET it, that that's the conflict/distance between them, and the story has to have that, but it seemed to me to be a stupid lie, and I didn't understand why he WOULDN'T confront her on it, and let it pass...

I felt they did a great job with Richard's passing. The giant painting, the fights, the voiceovers and sitting-at-the-desk when Rory went to use his office to write... good stuff.

The end. Okay. Opens things up for 'more'. If there ever IS more... cool, I'm sure I'd be happy to see it. I am interested in where things go from here. But if this IS all there ever is, I'm really glad they got to do it. Rory is now the age Lorelai was when the show started (!), and she's expecting with... yeah, not the wookie's kid, but Logan's... ick. But there's your 'full circle'. Sure.
... I might be done... probably forgot a few things I was gonna say, but I'm pretty sure that's most of it...
Last edited by Dax on November 28th, 2016, 6:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Dax
Site Admin

November 28th, 2016, 6:43 pm #38

The revivals so far
-

Arrested Development Season 4 - Mostly thumbs up. The cast rarely being able to share scenes together certainly hurt, but there were more than enough positive things to have made the thing worthwhile to me. I do hope there's more, but, you know, WITH them together, not as separate as they had to be in Season 4.

Veronica Mars, the Kickstarter movie. Mostly thumbs up... was really happy to see it happen, was maybe a little disappointed in the result... haven't read the post-movie tie-in novels yet.

24 Season 9 (half the length, subtitled 'Live Another Day' in ads) - Thumbs up. It was the same show, but ended with an as-unsatisfying 'cliffhanger' of sorts as Season 8 did, so... bummer. Upcoming semi-spin-off looks good, even though Luke's friend isn't in it. I hope it works.

Star Wars Episode 7, impending Rogue One, Episode 8, Young Han Solo solo, Episode 9, etc. ... While not a tv series, this is a serial thought finished that is back in a big, big way, that will likely dominate movie theaters every Christmas and some summers for the next ten or twenty or more years (and I'm sure there WILL be a tv show, too, at some point)... I liked the first one a lot. Yeah, it's not perfect, but I'm comfortable in saying that it IS 'good', and that's not just the 'member berries infecting me...

Wet Hot American Summer - I haven't watched The First Day of Camp yet, but I'm anxious to... Dad was in the hospital when it dropped, and... I just somehow never got around to... anyway. I expect to like it, and look forward to the sequel mini-series.

Full House - I wasn't a fan. That one wasn't for me.

The X-Files Season 10 - Mostly thumbs down. One great episode, two okay ones, three really lousy ones.

Gilmore Girls (Season 8): A Year in the Life made me happy.

Twin Peaks Season 3 - Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait... (looking as though we might get a release date just after Christmas...)

None of these things would I recommend to anybody as a jump-on point, if they were not already a fan of these things.
Last edited by Dax on November 28th, 2016, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tgir
Site Admin

November 28th, 2016, 7:04 pm #39

To be fair, I was oh criticizing the depiction of small towns. To me, it was pure big city condescension. Compare it to: Mayberry. Different sees, sure, and very sugar coated/whir washed (deliberate word choice) but genuine respect and love.

Krystal
Site Admin

November 28th, 2016, 8:22 pm #40

I never watched The Gilmore Girls or any of the shows that Dax listed, so I couldn't call him at all out there reality or lack of it. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh butt Pittsburgh really didn't have a downtown area but families lived in and in fact still doesn't. I think some young hipsters are moving downtown certainly KMI could tell us better but even though Pittsburgh was depressed when I was in dental school it had great museums and theaters because of the money that the big industrial families had built. So there was access to theater and museums and the food was very good there because I ethnic people love good food.

When I agreed to move to Chicago I told my husband to be that there is no way I would live in the suburbs there because we were both going to be having careers downtown and the suburbs in my opinion were rather conservative compared to the city which was very liberal. Plus I wanted to do all the things that downtown offered the theaters and museums the art shows and everything plus I really do like my restaurants and I have like an occasional very high in place but I also value inexpensive ethnic food. Chicago is a place of neighborhoods and I loved our neighborhood it was kind of like a small town and the neighbors knew one another and watched out for one another and if somebody seedy came into the neighborhood people would call one another.. the neighborhood was extremely mixed with blacks whites case Asians everybody living together and I never felt that anybody was prejudiced against anybody else and people mixed in socially all the time.

Where we live now is a small town but since it is adjacent to Scottsdale you can go to Scottsdale for fun down here and some shows Etc. However the whole state of Arizona is much more conservative and the food in the valley isn't even as good as Pittsburgh let alone Chicago. We thought of moving out of here a couple years ago I was thinking of Tucson because it is more liberal but since I am involved with a cat shelter i am ok staying here. But I have to say I do all my shopping and we go into Scottsdale to eat a hundred percent of the time. We barely know the neighbors here we have had a drink with one or the other but they're mostly conservative and I really don't feel comfortable with them nor do I want to be friends with them.

TGIr, I know what you mean about people coming to a small town especially small towns outside of big cities where the big city people come and talk down to the people who live there year-round. It's different here though winter snow birds don't tend to do that because the people here have plenty of money and exact a lot of the snowbirds don't. The big buck people come into Scottsdale and do the car shows and the golf tournament spot they never come to Fountain Hills. And I really noticed but none of them seem to be snobby with a downtown Scottsdale shopkeepers or anything. As far as small towns go I never had an urge to go outside of Chicago when I live there except to get on a plane and go somewhere altogether different. I have no urge to drive to some more areas and look at Kyle's or any other thing or sit on a horse I just am not interested in that type of thing at all. We chose to live where we do because of a fabulous views and natural beauty and yet we are only 15 minutes from the edge of Scottsdale and 25 - what would be considered really good dining if I wasn't such a Chicago dining snob.

All of Pittsburgh is kind of weird because of the hills and the valleys and when we would visit there I would get my fill of trees and Riverside cetera which I kind of miss but not enough to move back.