KMInfinity
Site Admin

July 5th, 2016, 1:18 pm #151

Now that you bring it up, I do remember him in some pre-show news... I don't think I knew he was a character, maybe just being a smartass. :D

I was pretty careful to avoid even headlines with Game + Thrones + GoT + HBO + any cast member name
iii
iii
iii

KMInfinity
Site Admin

July 7th, 2016, 1:23 am #152

The Broken Man 6X7

This felt like there was some heft to the story. I credit the development of character over plot here. Everyone seemed to be bearing under the weight of the logical consequences of their past rather than from random plotted action sequences. (with one exception*, imo) The episode tone clearly owed its gravitas to the return of Sandor.

-Ian McShane as the mentor for Sandor. But not really, because his death clearly is NOT motivating Sandor to join the sparrows or seek the path of non-violence. Is this the first time we had a hard start BEFORE the opening credits?

-My poor Jaime. Blackfish ripped you good. It makes me sad that you are not on the side of the angels. Everyone on every major GoT fan discussion seems to be mourning your character assassination in the Show. Alas.

-So many “parleys.” Jon and the Wildlings; Jon and Lady Mormont; John and House Glover; The Kingslayer and the Blackfish; The Queen of Thorns and The Queen Mother Cersei. Davos’ final speech to Lyanna Mormont was the highlight for me. Reminded me why he was a favorite when I read the books. Finally someone very clearly articulates the stakes.

-And the stakes became clearly enumerated, with House Mormont contributing 62 men to take Winterfell and face the army of the dead, while Jaime is using 8000 to lay siege to the Blackfish.

-Love Lady Mormont! So, NOT Tyrion’s bastard daughter. Lol (from a spoilery picture on Facebook that Gate teased me about)

-So Margery is playing the Game. I don’t understand the dynamics of the situation – Show fail – in terms of the military power vs political power in these machinations at KL… If I were Margery, I’d be stowing away in my Gram’s carriage…

-More indirect ties to Lady Stoneheart. o.O Was that really the Brotherhood? LSH’s actions were pretty brutal I’m told, as time went on, but I thought the Brotherhood was on the side of the small folk. Plus>>>So many “coming back” - from the dead/from despair/from prison/from stagnation…

-Arya, poor child. *What was the f#cking point of all that training, huh?

-So, the Broken Man is…. Sandor, on the surface. But several more qualify… Jaime, Theon, Edmure, others….

-Spec from various reading>>>
• Given Cersei’s Book story (really underplayed or ignored here), and bran’s visions of the Mad king and the “Burn them all” revisit, and the QoT's line about not being able to kill them all…I agree with the spec that Cersei inherits that plot. Wildfire at King's Landing to be unleashed by the Mad Queen?

• There’s some rumblings in fandom about the deck being stacked against Jon (I guess to make an impact later) when the North should be thirsting for Bolton blood. Yes Robb made mistakes and screwed up, but it was the Boltons and Freys who murdered the King of the North and his bannermen, their kin. They wouldn’t be holding out on the Starks, but glad for the leadership and ready for revenge because The North Remembers!

• So explain to me again why they are camped in Stannis’ camp? Uh…so Davos can find Shereen? 

• Someone on PTV commented that this is the season of understatements. LOL… I know there have been complaints about ‘modern day slang” taking viewers out of certain scenes, but these are just great. A sampling>
o Sansa: "We should never have left Winterfell"
o Brienn: "Jon's a bit brooding.... but under the circumstances it's understandable"
o Yara: "So you've had a bad few years"
o Septon Ray: “Never too late to come back.”

• Lots of people complaining that the show lost a great opportunity to showcase Ian McShane with Septon Ray/Meribald/Elder Brother’s speech, which many claim as some of the best writing of the whole ASoIaF series:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/06/ ... men-speech

• Holy heck. Such a big canvas I just realized Lady Mormont is Jorah’s….. cousin?

• Wait what? People think Sansa is pregnant? Please no.

Last edited by KMInfinity on July 7th, 2016, 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
iii
iii
iii

Dax
Site Admin

July 7th, 2016, 3:13 am #153

There MIGHT have been a pre-credits scene in a Season 1 episode, but I'm not sure... Pretty sure there weren't any other ones, though... Loved the score in that scene. (Main reason for the pre-credits reveal was so we wouldn't see McCann's name first...)

Love Lady Mormont.

Really the Brotherhood? Yes/no.. Clarification coming up in #8.

McShane had semi-spoiled that he'd be in one where he's used to bring somebody back that everybody thinks is dead... After the first show or two, okay, it's not Jon... Lady Stoneheart, of course, was speculated, but my money was on the Hound...

Why in Stannis' camp... They said something to justify it, but... Right. So that Davos could find the thing, really.

I don't know. That speech would have been really long, and I DID like the things they had McShane say just fine... (There's a video of his old boss David Milch reading the speech from the book...)

A pre-season promo pic of Sansa had our Gate give voice to the horrific 'pregnant Sansa' thought... Yeah... It's not like GRRM or the show WOULDN'T be that cruel...

KMInfinity
Site Admin

July 8th, 2016, 1:19 am #154

No One 6X8

Didn’t like this one, for several reasons. Some of those reasons are personal preference things, and not indicative of the episode’s objective quality, but some of the dislike is because of bad writing and/or plotting/directing. Ymmv

-My big dislike was that too much time was spent in the south, esp. in King’s Landing. So Tommen has drunk the koolaid to the extent he will do anything for the High Sparrow. What a twit. You know you’re in trouble when you are rooting for Cersei during a scene.

-And worse than KL - I cannot stress enough how much I hate Jaime’s storyline. All the sweetness and greatness of Jaime and Brienne is ruined by the way he is driven by Cersei. What makes it worse is that I think the writing could have played up a different vibe, given Jaime some shades and layers, had him appear more clearly conflicted and torn about his path. His whole speech to Edmure just made me want to puke. And now Brienne looks foolish for thinking there is any honor in Jaime. Bookwalkers have made no bones about the negative path here compared to the books. Some are suggesting it’s like Jon’s struggles to rally the North – being played in such a way so that when the heroic moment comes it’s a Big Fucking Deal. But some of us won’t like the whiplash turnaround. And that’s if Jaime is even slated for that bit of redemption. Maybe he goes down with the Lannister ship. Ugh….

-Arya is healed miraculously? To the point she can bounce all over Braavos to lead the Waif back to her room, and then kill her? That whole sequence just seemed too unbelievable. Okay, in the dark, so her blind-girl training came in handy, but still. And I’m calling it right now, fans will be pissed that both The Waif and Blackfish died off camera. I couldn’t figure out what Jaquen’s position actually was. On the one hand, killing the Waif meant Arya was now “no one?’ makes no sense. And yet he smiles when she says she’s Arya and going home*, like that was his real goal. Is there another layer to the Faceless we haven’t seen? Maybe Jaquen was paid (by Syrio? :P ) to train Arya to be a badass, not a Faceless. Do we know if the Faceless only accept assassination commissions?

*IU wish the writing had been “I am Arya Stark and I’m going home.” No “A girl is…” I want the definitive ego statement, not that Faceless remnant.

-Everything about Meereen continues to suck. Even the giggle from Missandae and the smile from Grey Worm can’t make this interesting. Bleah. I don’t understand Varys’ plan. Go to Meereen, mope around, accomplish nothing, go back to KL? What?

-The random death count of ‘unimportant’ characters was rather high today. Lots of hiding my eyes this episode.

-One of the rare moments I enjoyed in this episode was the conversation between Beric and Dondarrion and Sandor. Glad the BWB are not the bad guys. Whew. Though if they are there, and LSH isn’t…I guess then no LSH.

-Again, the title applies to more than just one story, not just Arya. Sandor is no one, struggling to be someone who, according to Beric can make a difference for good. And Cersei is literally no one important in the Throne room. The BWB seem to be no one important – but they are smart enough to see the future lies in the North, not in wars with men.

-LSH is also no one. Should coulda been there.  The weight of her absent character, with all the Cat mentions and comparisons with Cersei, I dunno. She’s working well as subtext, but would have been so cool to have her at a reunion North too. Bittersweet and horrific though it may be.

I swear most of this was written before I read McNutt’s recap and review, but clearly GMTA! Lol
http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/game-thron ... one-238102
iii
iii
iii

Dax
Site Admin

July 8th, 2016, 2:28 am #155

I will be interested to see how much Jaime's book story is different when it comes out...

'Yes' to the two offscreen fights being somewhat irksome, but... #9 really does make up for it...

She DID say she was Arya and going home, didn't she? The 'a Girl is' at the front is cutesy, but not inappropriately so.

Yeah, I don't entirely understand the Faceless and their commissions and how/why they accept work. Confusing matters is that... Her mentor in the book ISN'T Jaqen, is it? Like, they brought the character/actor back because we all liked him, but I thought part of the mismatch between the cool Jaqen that asked for three names was because it wasn't originally the same guy heading the Faceless, the show just recycled/condensed... Isn't that right?

What Jaqen wants... My take was... She broke the rules, so, yeah, she has to be dealt with. But he LIKES her, so since she won the fight, there's a 'cool, farewell' aspect... I don't think she's got to worry about more Faceless coming for her in the future.

I didn't love how #7 ended, how Arya's guard was so down when the old flower lady came up to her was so strange everybody speculated that she had to be trying to fake her death, let the Waif THINK she'd won, and making bizarre excuses for her stupidity there... And then, yeah, not super-injured at the start of 8...

Good meme, though... Of Waif stabbing Arya and 'Men: this is how period cramps feel'...

I haven't read the books, but I've yet to see anything that makes me think Lady Stoneheart would be a good show inclusion (or is a story element that I'll like when I do get around to reading the books...).

Last edited by Dax on July 8th, 2016, 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

July 9th, 2016, 1:47 am #156

Reading around the net about "No One."

• It was stated that Cersei is the only woman Jaime’s ever been with. Huh.

• I was right – lots of dissatisfaction with both the Waif and Blackfish dying off screen. Lots of commenting that this was the worst episode of the season, if not the worst of the series!

• Haha – I didn’t realize the actor playing Tommen has already died as a Lannister once.

• At least 25% of the many many posts I’ve read are some variation of analyzing the very different Book Jaime vs Show Jaime. One theory I read seems very likely, and isn't much to my taste. Assumptions:

1. GRRM has told D&D the endgame for all the players.
2. D&D may modify or adapt, but they will essentially arrive at the same endgame for the overall climax and most individuals.
3. D&D have simplified many plots, eliminated many that don't directly relate to the major endgame.
4. Therefore, if Jaime's redemption arc fizzles in the long run, if his tale is one of a character who isn't able to rise above his circumstances, then D&D may have decided to simplify the arc and have Jaime go from A to Z in a "straight line." Why have him struggle with inner conflict and turmoil that's all for naught. ::sniff::

I cut my survey short of the episode reviews when the Dallas alert popped up.. :'(
iii
iii
iii

bilki
Site Admin

July 9th, 2016, 2:10 am #157

wrote:I've yet to see anything that makes me think Lady Stoneheart would be a good show inclusion
Because she's a bad ass (and a Stark) is reason enough for me, lol. Plus, I think her reunion with Sansa or Arya would be quite interesting. Probably more interesting than anything they've done with Ramsay or Littlefinger, IMO. It seems unlikely that they'll introduce her to the show at this point, though.

Dax
Site Admin

July 15th, 2016, 5:20 am #158

... Tapping foot...

KMI said she was watching 9 & 10 this morning...

KMInfinity
Site Admin

July 15th, 2016, 1:54 pm #159

LOL - Have have too much to say, given the double episode viewing and the fact it was the finale. Then i spent 2 hours with GoT BFF and rehashed so much I need to process.

Early general assessment - disliked #9 a lot. Admit that's due to personal quirks, but also storytelling failures. Liked #10 much better, except for really heavy handed time continuity craziness. At one point I was like, "Whoa, wait till bookwalkers realize Varys had a twin." :D
iii
iii
iii

Dax
Site Admin

July 15th, 2016, 5:29 pm #160

Yeah, or somebody taught Varys how to ride one of the dragons... He did make what appeared to be the fastest commute that anyone ever has...

-

Another meme I like, though it's slightly chronologically inaccurate.. Pic of Cesei... Top - I'm just here to love my children and blow shit up... Bottom - And I'm all out of children...
Last edited by Dax on July 15th, 2016, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.