bilki
Site Admin

July 2nd, 2016, 3:59 pm #141

wrote:• His stupid actions cause all the tragedy. Just seemed way too contrived.
Yeah, but he's a kid and he's curious. He does things he's not supposed to do, which is why he's no longer able to walk. I also liked how it played into the kids-having-more-responsibility-than-they're-ready-for aspect of the world.

Hodor was a good and faithful servant.

Knowing that the White Walkers are coming makes most of the other storylines feel irrelevant to me. That's my biggest frustration right now. I wish we were being shown how current character choices will have some kind of impact on the arrival of the White Walkers. Or, learning more about the past so it's like watching history repeat itself. It feels like we know so little about the WWs for having maybe only 13 episodes left.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

July 3rd, 2016, 1:49 pm #142

bilki wrote:
wrote:• His stupid actions cause all the tragedy. Just seemed way too contrived.
Yeah, but he's a kid and he's curious. He does things he's not supposed to do, which is why he's no longer able to walk. I also liked how it played into the kids-having-more-responsibility-than-they're-ready-for aspect of the world.
Yes I agree they are connecting a theme of the kids not really being ready, or questioning if they are...except they have spent sooooo much time showing us how the kids are "getting ready." Jon on the Wall learning to be a military leader, Sansa at KL and with Littlefinger learning political machinations, Arya and the Faceless, apparently learning... to be a badass? :P . (Rickon with Osha and in the dungeon...what is he learning?) Rob wasn't ready, a cautionary tale for the others you'd think. I should have been more specific and noted the multiple stupid things in Bran's plot aren't just due to Bran entering the Dream alone:

-The Three Eyed Raven knows stuff...maybe the future? Yet he's clueless that Bran is gonna explore on his own, and does NOT give Bran proper instruction about who can see him in the visions (The Night King!) and that he can't let the Night King touch him. Frodo KNEW and was warned about putting on the One Ring. Bran's plot should have contained those warnings, and then developed a REASON why he might want to/need to explore anyway. This kind of plot makes me swing back to thinking GRRM's role in the original stories and ongoing seasons may be more essential than people think. D&D may not be able to get from A to B to Z just knowing major plot points, as cool as it is to see those major points being reached.
-Worse...Bran wakes up after the Night King touches him...the Three Eyed Raven dumps some expository news, "He knows where we are!!!!" dum dum DUM!!!! and then they both go back to Dreaming??? WTF. Has it been established the Dream can pull them into it unwillingly?
wrote:Hodor was a good and faithful servant.
Yes he was, which is why he deserved a better run up to his death. It should have been more fatalistic, more clearly inevitable and inescapable, and could have been written that way. Two tweaks and I can do it myself, never mind all the fanfic. 1) The Night King could have been shown in a scene or two (even in earlier episodes) clearly TRACKING Bran. 2) If you want the scene with Bran and TNK confrontation anyway, have Bran enter the Dream to find out how close TNK is, only to be horrified that he's really really close already. grrrr

I do love the idea that Hodor has known, all his life, what his fate would be, and went willingly into it. This is the true power of the scene, tragic and glorious, that has most people forgiving the weak leadup.
wrote:Knowing that the White Walkers are coming makes most of the other storylines feel irrelevant to me. That's my biggest frustration right now. I wish we were being shown how current character choices will have some kind of impact on the arrival of the White Walkers. Or, learning more about the past so it's like watching history repeat itself. It feels like we know so little about the WWs for having maybe only 13 episodes left.
Big big agree to this. Especially the whole KL mess. It would be so satisfying if Jaime, at least, was a little more self aware and aware of the bigger picture. I dunno if I am "going Disney" but it feels organic and logical that he would be in KL for that purpose. He could be getting frustrated with the High Sparrow and those political messes not just because of the impact on his family but also because he sees the underlying threat. He should be the one player at KL who represents us, the viewer, seeing the futility of the Game at KL in the long run. I didn't read Jaime's adventures in the Riverlands with Brienne, so I'm not sure how much he's diverged from his original story (a lot, I understand). Is the plot sending him there now, in a bit of a flip? This is one of the elements I am hoping is addressed if not resolved as this season ends.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

bilki
Site Admin

July 3rd, 2016, 11:05 pm #143

wrote:The Three Eyed Raven knows stuff...maybe the future? Yet he's clueless that Bran is gonna explore on his own, and does NOT give Bran proper instruction about who can see him in the visions (The Night King!) and that he can't let the Night King touch him. Frodo KNEW and was warned about putting on the One Ring. Bran's plot should have contained those warnings, and then developed a REASON why he might want to/need to explore anyway.
I agree. It was silly that the 3-E Raven didn't explain to Bran why it was so important that he didn't go wandering off into the dream state on his own like that. Or why he shouldn't get close enough to come into contact with TNK. The way it played out made me wonder if the 3-E Raven was so ready to pass the torch to Bran that he didn't care how it all went down but the show never said or did anything to support that. Just me trying to fill in the blanks.

It does feel like the show is more concerned with the spectacle of it all rather than telling us a well thought out story. And if we only have 13 episodes left, it seems like we should know more about the White Walkers. Makes me think it will all build up to a couple big battles that may not have compelling reasons to explain them.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

July 4th, 2016, 2:51 am #144

"Blood Of My Blood" 6X6

•Margery – What “game” is she playing? Is she honestly supporting the Sparrow? Using Tommen to escape the Sparrow? Thinking she can control the Sparrow thru Tommen? Or is she broken, like Theon, and manipulated by the Sparrow, and maybe underestimated by him? I dunno, and actually not sure I care. I kept wanting to move on to other stories. Usually, I might groan when the POV changes from one location/story to another, but also usually I am pretty quickly engaged in the new one. Not here. Ugh.

•The confrontation on the steps of the Sept between Jaime and the Kingsguard and the High Sparrow as Margery is (supposedly) about to do the walk of shame……largely unsatisfying. I can only hope the scene is a setup for a later, more satisfying version of this confrontation.

•So, NOW Jaime’s off to the Riverlands. To what purpose? To shore up the Freys? Really? I cannot remember who Edmure is. Too much on the canvas. More ugh…
oAhhh, Tobias Menzies – the psychopath from Outlander. Still no recollection. Yikes.

•Everything about Sam’s story was win win win! Loved it. Except for a nagging concern that there is just not enough time for him to become a maester and help Jon, so what is his ultimate fate? Is he another Hodor?

•I was also happy with Arya’s story. She decides not to kill the actress (does the Waif?) and retrieves Sting – good! But why does she return to the Faceless then? Better to just book on out of Braavos.

•Cool scene with Dany on Drogon rallying the Dothroki. But hearing they need 1000 ships right after the Ironborn are charged with building a 1000 ships – eh, seems like anvils dropping. Plus, I really don’t want Dothraki fighting alongside Ironborn. Nooooo….
o And my mind wanders to thinking about how LONG it will take to build a fleet. Years and years it seems like… I’m no navy expert, so maybe not?

•Bran meets ColdHands. Of course it’s Benjen. Somehow I wasn’t as excited as I should have been. A story delayed too long? Ah well…
o Are fans slowing down and analyzing Bran’s visions? Yep>>>>
http://www.mtv.com/news/2886738/bran-st ... -wildfire/
o ETA after reading recaps – ah…Aerys the Mad King and that backstory…Jaime’s version is confirmed…

•Ah… McNutt agrees with fans - Lady Stoneheart is STILL possible, and more likely in THIS season than last...>>> Frey mentions the Brotherhood; Jaime and Brienne going to the Riverlands; Coldhands shows how dropped characters can return…

This was definitely a “moving pieces into place” episode, which is always problematic. Overall, I like the direction things are moving, and it’s great to have some movement forward….

Last edited by KMInfinity on July 4th, 2016, 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Dax
Site Admin

July 4th, 2016, 4:50 pm #145

Needle, not Sting.

Margaery was not broken by the High Sparrow, but he and Tommen bought it...

KMInfinity
Site Admin

July 4th, 2016, 9:05 pm #146

Dax wrote:Needle, not Sting.
:fall:
wrote:Margaery was not broken by the High Sparrow, but he and Tommen bought it...
So you think she's faking? Whups. N/m you probably already know. Don't answer!
Last edited by KMInfinity on July 4th, 2016, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dax
Site Admin

July 4th, 2016, 11:05 pm #147

I'll just say that at that point in time, I strongly SUSPECTED that she was faking...

Anxious to read your thoughts on #7. My beloved Al Swearengen and soon-to-be Wednesday is a much-appreciated special guest...
Last edited by Dax on July 4th, 2016, 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

July 5th, 2016, 1:39 am #148

whoah! Didn't know Ian McShane joined the cast. Yay!

I was gonna watch 607 today but there was just too much work. Plastering and sanding took longer than I thought (and more put of me than I expected) and so today was primer day. Tomorrow for sure. I need to rest up some.

bilki
Site Admin

July 5th, 2016, 3:00 am #149

Dax wrote:Needle, not Sting.
Ohhhhhhh. I wondered what KMI was talking about, lol.

wrote:My beloved Al Swearengen
That's funny that it took me this long to figure out why he was so familiar.

Dax
Site Admin

July 5th, 2016, 6:25 am #150

Remember the whole pre-season thing where McShane was giving interviews and perhaps speaking a bit more spoilery than he ought to have, and also kinda dismissed the show as being, you know, 'just tits and dragons, innit?'

I love him.