Fargo

Dax
Site Admin

September 19th, 2016, 6:24 pm #1

Mary Elizabeth Winstead has joined the cast of the third installment of Fargo, the Emmy(R), Golden Globe(R), Peabody(R) and AFI Award(R) winning limited series from creator Noah Hawley. Winstead (10 Cloverfield Lane, BrainDead) will star alongside the other previously announced leads, Ewan McGregor and Carrie Coon.

Winstead will play "Nikki Swango," a crafty and alluring recent parolee with a passion for competitive bridge playing. Nikki is a woman with a plan, focused on always being at least one move ahead of her opponents.

Winstead recently starred in J.J. Abrams' 10 Cloverfield Lane and CBS's BrainDead from the creators of The Good Wife. She is repped by WME and Jackoway Tyerman Wertheimer Austen Mandelbaum Morris & Klein.

McGregor will play brothers "Emmit and Ray Stussy" at the center of the story. Emmit, the Parking Lot King of Minnesota, is a handsome, self-made, real estate mogul and family man who sees himself as an American success story. His slightly younger brother, Ray, on the other hand is more of a cautionary tale. Balding and pot-bellied, Ray is the kind of guy who peaked in high school. Now a parole officer, Ray has a huge chip on his shoulder about the hand he's been dealt, and he blames his brother, Emmit, for his misfortunes.

Coon will play "Gloria Burgle," a practical woman - the one who grabs the fire extinguisher when the bacon catches fire and everyone else panics. Gloria is the chief of the Eden Valley Police, and a newly divorced mother, who is struggling to understand this new world around her where people connect more intimately with their phones than the people right in front of them.

Fargo hails from Peabody, Golden Globe and Emmy Award winning Executive Producers Noah Hawley (creator/showrunner/writer/director), Joel & Ethan Coen, Warren Littlefield and John Cameron. Fargo is produced by MGM Television and FX Productions, with MGM Television serving as the lead studio.

Fargo's second installment received an amazing 18 Emmy Award nominations, including Outstanding Limited Series; Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie for Kirsten Dunst; Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie for Jean Smart; Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Movie for Jesse Plemons and Bokeem Woodbine; Outstanding Writing For a Limited Series, Movie or Dramatic Special for both Noah Hawley and Bob DeLaurentis; and Outstanding Directing for a Limited Series, Movie or Dramatic Special for Noah Hawley.

The limited series scored two Emmy wins at last weekend's Creative Arts ceremonies: Outstanding Cinematography for a Limited Series or Movie and Outstanding Sound Editing for a Limited Series, Movie or Special.

--

So far...

1996 movie takes place mostly in Minneapolis MN in 1987.
2014 first season takes place mostly in Bemidji MN in 2006.
2015 second season takes place mostly in Luverne MN in 1979. (But the Gerhardts' farm is in Fargo ND...)
2017 third season will take place in 2010 in (looks like from the press release above) Eden Valley MN.
Last edited by Dax on September 19th, 2016, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dax
Site Admin

October 27th, 2016, 7:55 pm #2

Dax
Site Admin

December 21st, 2016, 4:08 am #3

Dax
Site Admin

April 24th, 2017, 12:05 am #4

Ewan McGregor -- Emmit and Ray Stussy
Carrie Coon -- Gloria Burgle
Mary Elizabeth Winstead -- Nikki Swango
Goran Bogdan -- Yuri Gurka (not in #1)
David Thewlis -- V. M. Varga

-

http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/fargo-seaso ... interview/

Off to a lovely start. Magically entertaining.

No identifiable connective tissue with the other seasons or film as yet, but I read somewhere that the name of 'the stamp' was the title of a Season 2 episode (Sisyphus, Lou told the story...).
Last edited by Dax on May 2nd, 2017, 4:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

bilki
Site Admin

April 24th, 2017, 12:19 am #5

Loved the entrance to the Bridge game (tournament?) with Prisencolinensinainciusol playing in the background. That was the moment that stood out most for me.

Kicking the AC unit out the window made me laugh. The conversation about the two dads getting married in front of the old guy was funny, too.

It's 2010 but their clothes and styling made them look like they're all stuck a couple decades behind. I'll have to see if anyone had a more modern look if I have time to watch it again. And I thought Nikki said something about posting to her Facebook while on her phone but that seemed a little premature for 2010, especially when they seemed behind-the-times in every other way.

Krystal
Site Admin

May 9th, 2017, 12:17 am #6

I really did not enjoy this last episode. At first it was confusing and then I realize it was about her stepfather or whatever he was to her then I really didn't care about his backstory. All together a big waste of an hour of an otherwise good show.

bilki
Site Admin

May 9th, 2017, 5:04 am #7

They spent a lot of time on the backstory of character I don't give a damn about, especially the opening sequence set in the 70s. I did like the story the old man (Zimmerman) told about how he used to think the collisions meant something, and now...don't let the door hit you in the ass.

Krystal
Site Admin

May 12th, 2017, 3:47 pm #8

For I am not impressed with this season. Especially after that lame waste of time last week. This week's show was some better but not wonderful. I really like the cast and I'm hoping that things pick up somehow. The fellow from Australia who is the super villain who vomits in the toilet very interesting because his teeth are not like someone who is a repeated bulimic. I wonder if they chose him for that or someone just didn't realize what outstanding casting they were doing. In any case he's a pretty creepy guy

bilki
Site Admin

May 13th, 2017, 2:23 am #9

This week's was more fun than last week's. I'm enjoying the rivalry between the brothers. Nikki Swango is probably my favorite character, at this point. I'm still not sure what I think of the villain, VM Varga. And for all of the bleating her fanboys do, I'm still mostly bored with Carrie Coon's character. Gloria? Hopefully, she'll become more interesting as she starts to puts the pieces together.

Krystal
Site Admin

June 9th, 2017, 4:50 am #10

Too surreal. Weird ass people that don't make any sense at all. Not enjoying this season at all.