eBook readers

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

January 20th, 2010, 6:47 pm #1

Anyone have one? I've been toying with getting one for a long time now and I'm thinking it would make a great Valentines gift for hubby. I just don't know which one to get.
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

shelle_cr
Site Admin

January 20th, 2010, 11:07 pm #2

No, but we were thinking about it.

Though I love real boks so I would miss turning the pages. But I'm still tempted.

The Princess and the Sailor - board dedicated to Carly & Bo from Days of our lives

Krystal
Site Admin

January 21st, 2010, 1:34 am #3

No and I don't want one. I love the feel of a real book. I can't imagine a magazine as U flip through them before deciding what to read.

Deleted User
Deleted User

January 21st, 2010, 1:47 am #4

Evening Gate,

I had a Dell Axim that I used for years with Microsoft Reader...it was great held several thousand books and was something I could keep in my purse so if I got stuck anywhere I could just pull it out. The screen was decent sized and you can adjust the text. It was touch screen and the digitizer died about 4 months ago and I hadn't replaced it (or fixed it yet). So my brother bought me a Sony EReader for Christmas that I've been looking up info for but it only reads multi-format or its own specialty books, I don't know how well it works because I still haven't taken it out of the box (not because I don't want to just haven't had enough time). I definitely can say I prefer the availability of the Microsoft Reader Ebooks over Sony EReader Books (I can also open up Microsoft Reader on my PC without any difficulties and it is adjustable size to fit your monitor).

Ilena

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

January 22nd, 2010, 11:19 pm #5

Thanks Raven for all the info. I have an iPhone but my eyes aren't that great and I'm sure I would go crazy after a while. I'm leaning towards the Kindle from Amazon but it's still expensive and I hate to buy something I can't try first.

Krystal
Site Admin

September 4th, 2010, 5:52 pm #6

My hsb b'day is 9/16 and he was expressing some interest in a Kindle as the prices have dropped. For those of you that have them, what is the charge for downloading books on them? Can you also download magazines?

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

September 5th, 2010, 10:16 am #7

The prices vary per book. There is no charge to 'download' the book except for the price of the book. The new releases are around $10/book but there are thousands and thousands of free and cheaper books. There are a bunch of NYTimes best selling books that are free just so you can 'get to know' the author. You can also download magazines and get a subscription to the ones you like and a fraction of the cost of newsstand prices.

The price of the new Kindle is now $139.00 which is a great price and has blown the doors off the competition because of the quality and new price.

You can go to Amazon.com and browse the Kindle Store to see all the free books and the prices yourself. You can also buy books from different online stores/websites and transfer to the Kindle format with the FREE Calibre Ebook application. ;)

Krystal
Site Admin

September 5th, 2010, 4:38 pm #8

Thanks Gate, my hsb tends to buy gadgets then not use them (but then there are my shoes he points out), so I wanted some info. Some things come cheap but then it costs a bundle to maintain or service them, ya know. This sounds like it might be a winner.