Doctor Who

KMInfinity
Site Admin
Joined: March 17th, 2008, 1:09 am

September 2nd, 2012, 4:20 pm #1

First, I never commented on the Christmas episode in the S6 thread.

The Doctor, the Wife, and the Wardrobe.
A lovely homage to C.S. Lewis, and a nicely wacky Doctor outing with lots of teetering on the edge of just too damn cute, and then it somehow works and you tear up anyway. So many really great lines and such a nice finish with the Ponds. I just rewatched it before the premiere and it held up great.

Asylum of the Daleks
I knew this was the beginning of the loss of the Ponds, so it made sense there would be issues. I loved seeing the Dalek Parliament, but they just don't seem to have the same 'threat level' any more. I kept laughing at the punning on 'eggs' and exterminate. Clever, but breaks the mood a bit.

Between the skeletons in the crashed space ship and the Doctor's comments about milk for the souffles, i knew Oswin would be a dalek, so I was mostly waiting to see how it was played. I liked that she got to CHOOSE to be human in the end - a key DW theme. Maybe she didn't get annihilated when the planet was torched? I'd like to see a 'friendly' dalek as a recurring. Lots of folks thought the girl playing Oswin was the new companion, and have now written her off. (I'm spoiler free for the fairwell of the Ponds and the addition of a new companion - even to the point that I'm not entirely sure the Ponds are done...) Wonder if it would work to have The Doctor with a dalek companion? That would be twisting the history quite a lot.

This episode seems to be a stand alone, with very little forward arc

I still miss David Tennant, but Matt Smith has grown into the role for me so I can enjoy the show without thinking back to the Tennant years at all.
Last edited by KMInfinity on September 2nd, 2012, 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iii
iii
iii
Quote
Like
Share

bilki
Site Admin
Joined: March 19th, 2008, 3:46 pm

September 6th, 2012, 4:46 am #2

I missed the Christmas episode. But knowing that it was an homage to C.S. Lewis will motivate me to record it the next time they do a marathon. I think I've mentioned before that The Chronicles of Narnia is one of my favorites. I've enjoyed some of his other works of fiction, too.

Asylum of the Daleks

*I liked this one, which was a relief because I still had a bit of a bad taste in my mouth the from the finale of the last season. The Parliament of the Daleks was so cool. Loved seeing all the different Daleks there in one room. Maybe it's because I remember them as a kid but the threat level is still there for me. I see what you mean, though, about the "eggs/exterminate" thing breaking the mood. I don't thinks it's nearly as bad as what they did to the Cybermen last season. I was surprised Rory thought they were saying "eggs," as "exterminate" should be known throughout the universe, LOL. Has he no knowledge of the Daleks???

*Also liked that Oswin wiped the Doctor from the Daleks' collective memory. Cool way to reboot the rivalry between them.

*Quite surprised the Doctor didn't realize the Daleks see him as their predator. I know they've called him "The Oncoming Storm" in the past but it was the first thing that came to my mind. I just went and read the synopsis of "Genesis of the Daleks" (the first Dalek story with Tom Baker as the Doctor) and it says that the Time Lords sent him to interfere in the creation of the Daleks, so he started this in their eyes.

*Jenna-Louise Coleman was pretty awesome as Oswin. I was rooting for her to be the next companion soon after she appeared on-screen. I feel a little silly for not figuring out she was a Dalek. I wondered how she hadn't been converted. And then he kept asking about the milk.

*Thought it curious that the Doctor encouraged Amy to feel scared, because it wasn't Dalek, after he had mocked them earlier for being too scared to come to the asylum planet.

*I love Amy and Rory, and their dynamic with the Doctor. I wasn't completely sold on them being broken up but I did appreciate their argument over Rory's claim that he loved her more. I'm sad that they're going but a little excited for a new companion. I still remember being upset (as a kid) when the Doctor sent Sarah Jane Smith on her way. But it didn't take me long to "love" Leila, the companion who followed.
Last edited by bilki on September 6th, 2012, 4:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
Quote
Like
Share

KMInfinity
Site Admin
Joined: March 17th, 2008, 1:09 am

September 6th, 2012, 10:27 pm #3

I'm still mourning Donna Noble. So I'll be okay when the Ponds toddle off. :P
iii
iii
iii
Quote
Like
Share

bilki
Site Admin
Joined: March 19th, 2008, 3:46 pm

September 7th, 2012, 5:30 am #4

What's funny is that I thought about how you felt Donna didn't get a proper send off while writing my post about this episode. Wasn't her last episode Journeys End, another Dalek-centric episode?
Quote
Like
Share

KMInfinity
Site Admin
Joined: March 17th, 2008, 1:09 am

September 7th, 2012, 8:11 pm #5

It's not that I think she had a bad send off in Journey's End, it just was so sad how she ended.

And then the teaser in the 2010 special where she ALMOST got her memory back, but didn't and got married instead. She didn't WANT a safe, traditional life, and that's what she got.
iii
iii
iii
Quote
Like
Share

bilki
Site Admin
Joined: March 19th, 2008, 3:46 pm

September 10th, 2012, 2:48 am #6

Dinosaurs on a Spaceship

*Not my favorite kind of episode but it was fun and playful. I see some comparing it to Love and Monsters, which I haven't seen, but it doesn't sound like a good kind of comparison.

*While I didn't see the point of having Nefertiti and Riddell along for the ride, it was interesting to see Rory interact with his father. The bickering robots made me chuckle.

*Was that foreshadowing when the Doctor told Amy she'd be around until his end, then she responded with him being around until hers? I'm hoping she doesn't die.

*I've seen some surprise that the Doctor set up Solomon to be killed by the missiles. I did think it a bit unusual but don't feel so familiar with the newer series to think it totally out of character. Makes me wonder if there's some intent behind coloring the Doctor a bit darker.



So wiki says we only have three more episodes left before the Christmas special. Is this really almost over for a couple months???
Last edited by bilki on September 10th, 2012, 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quote
Like
Share

KMInfinity
Site Admin
Joined: March 17th, 2008, 1:09 am

November 24th, 2013, 2:11 pm #7

ICargirl from TWoP wrote: ...There were a lot of things I loved about this
Yes!

wrote:In the end, however, I DO feel betrayed,
I did, a bit, because you are right. The Doctor takes horrific chances, makes difficult choices, and his standard (usually) has been 'the greatest good for the greatest number.' So, his act of genocide with the Daleks and Gallifrey is a defining moment for the character. And to erase that is a big deal.

wrote:...But the fact that the Doctor, for all his heroism, and wit, and compassion, is also the type of man that could indeed kill his entire race when the universe depended on it was so essential to the series that backtracking on that is a problem for me. I'm thinking specifically right now of Nine telling Jackie in one of the earlier episodes that he makes impossible choices because he's the only one who can - he doesn't get the luxury of moral certitude. This comes up again in Fires of Pompeii, when Donna is furious at the Doctor for not only allowing Pompeii to happen, but actually causing it, but then realizes that he really doesn't have a choice, and even does it with him (which is one of my favorite Donna moments).
Very good examples. Donna is my favorite companion, and imo she was always trying to counteract that terrible, inexorable quality of the Doctor, where he could indeed sacrifice the one for the many... (to paraphraseSpock) But she comes to understand his moral compass.

wrote:More than that, I can't buy the show's attempt to present this as a legitimate moral issue when the resolution basically comes down to "it was magic." The question of whether it is ever right to do something horrible to for the chance of stopping something even more horrible is a real and difficult one. To decide that because, based on the often arbitrary rules of your sci-fi universe, it was possible on this one occasion to avoid the issue by pulling a fantastic solution out of thin air, we should take it as a general moral principle that anyone who makes a difficult choice in the field of battle is to be unequivocally condemned is a gross simplification.
Dr. Who is full of handwaving and deus ex machina moments, and they annoy me too. (see below) I happen to like the idea of having Gallifrey back on the table, so this timey-wimey magical cuppa-soup solution was okay, because it gets the audience something really good, and something that many pre-reboot fans wanted and disliked about nu-who. It Gets gallifrey back. But I disagree with one point. I don't condemn The Doctor for making the choice to destroy Gallifrey (and the 2.47 whatever children) with the Daleks, and I don't think everyone did. Many did, both fans and in-show characters, because they don't understand his code. And for The Doctor, I think it's not a moral judgment based on universal truth, it's a self-judgment that shows even when a person makes the right decision for the 'good of the many' there is a cost. Understanding that cost, feeling pain because of that cost, is what keeps you 'human' and kept The Doctor from becoming a monster, the thing many feared about him.

wrote:So yeah. I actually liked the episode, but as entertainment, not as great storytelling, which is kind of par for the course with me and Doctor Who over the past few years.
I have been lambasted for expecting more than 'mere' entertainment from Dr. Who, so I understand this.


For me, the story was strong enough that it the characters of 9-10-11 are intact. And the most important story point, imo, is that The Doctors would have made that terrible choice again, if no other option had presented itself. Hurt War Doctor (okay I like that instead of 8.5 - and the actor's name fits!) gives some very good reasons why he will push the red button before Eleven comes up with the alternate plan. So, they still ARE the people they were before, but Eleven has had TIME to think and think and plan and subconsciously incubate a new scenario, and now the chance to execute it.

iii
iii
iii
Quote
Like
Share

Dax
Site Admin
Joined: March 16th, 2008, 3:48 pm

November 24th, 2013, 6:54 pm #8

Changed thread title... instead of saying 'All seasons', I almost put 'Doctors 9-on', because that would be funny...
Quote
Like
Share

blosslover
Site Admin
Joined: March 16th, 2008, 9:31 pm

November 24th, 2013, 7:26 pm #9

I was thinking 21st Century Who...

I was able to get the special Behind the Lens off of Vimeo, someone took pity on people outside the UK. It is a 13 minute behind the scenes video that reminded me of the Doctor Who Confidential series. What I've seen of that show was so great.
Quote
Like
Share

KMInfinity
Site Admin
Joined: March 17th, 2008, 1:09 am

November 24th, 2013, 8:10 pm #10

Dax wrote:Changed thread title... instead of saying 'All seasons', I almost put 'Doctors 9-on', because that would be funny...
hahaha! Thanks dax.

iii
iii
iii
Quote
Like
Share