KMInfinity
Site Admin

September 30th, 2014, 9:20 am #91

I've been avoiding the fan sites because I'm hearing a LOT of griping and I wanted to form my own impressions. I'm going to wade in this weekend and take the pulse of Who-dom this weekend. :scared:
iii
iii
iii

bilki
Site Admin

October 7th, 2014, 3:13 am #92

wrote:I'm going to wade in this weekend and take the pulse of Who-dom this weekend. :scared:
How did that go? I read a decent amount of comments at the UK site, The Guardian. Mostly positive comments about Peter Capaldi but the comments about the episodes have plenty of love and hate to go around. The comments about the episodes over at AV Club seem to be kinder, though I don't read as much of them.

Mixed feelings about Kill the Moon. They really had me going for a minute there. I thought Clara was going to have to make a tough decision and live with the harsh reality of it. Then she aborts the detonation, the creature flies away and leaves another egg/moon (bigger than its own body) in its place. Ugh.

Really enjoyed Hermione Norris as the lady astronaut. I would have pushed the button, too.

A little disappointed that they didn't do anything original with Courtney Woods.

Jenna Coleman did a good job with the outburst at the end, but I thought Clara was behaving like a petulant child. The scene pretty much salvaged the episode for me, though. It's nice to see the show play out some of the emotional consequences of their journeys after so many wasted opportunities during the Amy/Rory era.
Last edited by bilki on October 7th, 2014, 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

blosslover
Site Admin

October 7th, 2014, 3:28 pm #93

I appreciated that Clara got upset over everything as it was about time. That said it is too bad that Amy and Rory didn't get to do that. Some people were upset by Kill the Moon as they saw it as a pro-life story. (Like bilki, I'd like to know what you found KMI...)
Last edited by blosslover on October 7th, 2014, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

October 8th, 2014, 12:54 am #94

Sadly, I'm still overwhelmed at work. Maybe this weekend I'll surf the Whoverse.

I wasn't too happy with the episode. I'm starting to dislike Dr. 12 and I can't figure out if it's Capaldi or the writing. I'm pretty sure it's the writing because the big thing that's pissing me off if that he seems to have no clue about people or empathy for humans, as if he's become autistic or something. Some doctors have been less cuddly than others, and some downright meanish, but the overall arc in Nu-Who has been for an empathetic figure so to me this is a regression which doesn't make sense. So unless that plays into his long term arc as some kind of trauma due to his last regeneration, I'm gonna say they are creating false character development (and drama) with bad writing.
Last edited by KMInfinity on October 8th, 2014, 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
iii
iii
iii

bilki
Site Admin

October 13th, 2014, 12:44 am #95

12 is definitely a less cuddly Doctor. I've a bit surprised at some of the things he's said to Clara and Courtney. I like him, but I can see why some wouldn't. How would we determine if it's a regression, though? I don't know a lot about the past Doctors but my perception is that he hasn't evolved in a linear manner. Have they ever explained why one is different from the others?

Enjoyed Mummy on the Orient Express but my initial impression is that others enjoyed it more than me. The mummy was cool but I can't say that it scared me. And it's usually difficult for me to feel much of anything for the death of a character I barely know. All of those deaths, though, made me think we were going to get a visit from Missy.

I still don't understand why the mummy was killing his victims, or maybe I do and it's just not that compelling to me.

If I ever thought Capaldi's Doctor would be the end of any sexual tension with Clara, they certainly proved me wrong. It was more obvious in this episode than it has been up to this point.

While Clara has certainly grown on me, I was ready for Perkins, the engineer guy, to step in and take her place.

blosslover
Site Admin

October 13th, 2014, 3:16 am #96

It had to do with the mummy being a soldier. He stopped once the Doctor said I surrender. The space train reminded me of the space Titanic.

Perkins the engineer guy is a huge Doctor Who superfan IRL named Frank Skinner. He has been campaigning to be on the show for years. During the DW bonus feature for the episode, he said he wished they had let him say he wanted to stay....I would have liked that for a change.

The one thing I've noticed a tad from some factions of the DW fandom (not that I see much) is that there are some who LOVE everything and are almost too positive...(same with soap fans still don't get it...)

KMInfinity
Site Admin

October 26th, 2014, 8:54 pm #97

really loved this one. I thought it showcased so many 'tru-Who' themes and stories. I loved the kids too. It was a good teacher type episode and one I might show my class.
iii
iii
iii

bilki
Site Admin

October 26th, 2014, 11:26 pm #98

Oh gosh. I'm about halfway through and trying to decide if I should just skip the rest of it. The review and comments at The Guardian aren't helping.

I do like the idea of the trees taking over, though. Just not how they're putting it to use.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

October 27th, 2014, 1:05 am #99

It's very uneven. Capaldi has moments of real power, and I've never liked Clara as much as I have lately, and I even like Danny, and like some of what's going on there, but somehow the sum of the parts is less than the whole instead of jelling and being something greater than the parts, if you know what I mean.

I blame the overall arc planning and vision (which must rest with Moffat) and the individual writers.

ETA:

I have finally been checking out some of the season's reviews and they are generally very good at the AV Club and DenofGeek. The Nerdist has been generally positive. IGN has rated every episode Good/Great/Amazing except the Robin Hood one. Rotten Tomatoes has the overall season at 91%. Gallifrey Base, which has been a hotbed of fandom interaction, and known for rather snarky criticism and quite a lot of negativity, has overall loved Capaldi's doc. This last episode is seen as the weakest of the strongest season in years. ( :ermm: )

I haven't been to the Guardian, or the Telegraph. What's the buzz there? And your own thoughts, please!
Last edited by KMInfinity on October 27th, 2014, 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
iii
iii
iii

bilki
Site Admin

October 27th, 2014, 4:22 am #100

The reviews for the episodes have been relatively positive at The Guardian. He liked the set up for this forest episode but said he was grumpy by the end of it. He doesn't like Danny Pink and isn't sure someone like Clara would fall for a guy like him.

The comments at The Guardian, on the other hand, haven't been as kind. Every episode is deemed one of the worst, and then they all argue back and forth about it. Most seem to like Capaldi, though.

I'm starting to lean towards being less of a fan of Danny Pink, myself. I think his good looks charmed me at first but now that's wearing off. I was hoping he'd be more of an adventurous type, but now that we're getting to know him more, I find him to be a bit of a bore.

Most of my excitement about Missy has worn off, at this point. I really hope she'll be worth the wait but I know that some of Moffat's payoffs aren't as satisfying as the anticipation.
wrote:but somehow the sum of the parts is less than the whole instead of jelling and being something greater than the parts, if you know what I mean.
I think I do. I'm starting to feel like this season will look less interesting in hindsight. On the bright side, at least they were able to hold my interest for its entirety.