KMInfinity
Site Admin

September 1st, 2014, 7:32 pm #71

>>>>>Enjoyed Into the Daleks. More thought-provoking than I've come to expect from Moffat. Even watched it twice to get a better understanding.
Agreed. I saved Into the Daleks to rewatch.

>>>>>Is the Doctor asking if he's a good man...
>>>>>I don't know why he is asking whether he is a good man either. Are they attempting character development?
A bit of both. I don't know if it's exactly character development or more of a long running theme... I think there's been a long running tradition that that Doctor's moral code is not human, and that it's murky and gray. The whole idea of him refusing to use guns, and refusing to use violence (Run!!!) is balanced by the very high death toll that surrounds him. Plus, he's still maybe processing the events of the 50th, when the Dalek-Gallifreyian genocide was timey-wimey reversed. The big question they've toyed with, here and there, is whether on balance the universe is better or worse thanks to his intervention. Especially since NuWho, there seems to be at least one or two episodes a series that connections to the issue, such as "A Good Man Goes to War." Having the Doctor being older in appearance also lends itself to more reflective themes in general I guess.

But I thought he was around 900 plus, now he's 2000... Did I forget a huge time lapse with the 50th Anniversay War Doctor?
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

bilki
Site Admin

September 1st, 2014, 10:21 pm #72

wrote:Having the Doctor being older in appearance also lends itself to more reflective themes in general I guess.
It was easier for me to accept Matt Smith grappling with whether he's a good man than Peter Capaldi. I'd expect Peter Capaldi to realize that life in this universe isn't as simple as being either good or evil. I guess I can see him taking a sort of "pit stop" to ruminate on the issue while he's in his regeneration process. I just hope it's not going to be a recurring theme for the season. Interesting how physical appearance has swayed my way of looking at the issue.
wrote: (I have no idea why Moffat was also credited on the episode.)
I read someone saying that Moffat is handling Clara's romance with Soldier Pink, while Ford was responsible for the Dalek story.

blosslover
Site Admin

September 2nd, 2014, 2:17 am #73

Yes now the Doctor is over 2000 as he spent hundreds of years on the Christmas planet. (That's ridiculous, and a lot of people have complained about that.) It had nothing to do with the War Doctor, though there was a line in the 50th about how it was 400 years since the War Doctor.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

September 3rd, 2014, 1:29 am #74

Ah that's right. The Christmas Planet - not an episode I am fond of, so....
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

bilki
Site Admin

September 11th, 2014, 1:19 am #75

The banter between the Doctor and Robin Hood was fun, even made me for real lol at one point. Didn't care much for the rest of it, though.

I kept thinking those robots were Cybermen each time they'd appear on screen.

blosslover
Site Admin

September 11th, 2014, 1:24 am #76

That episode was edited due to the IRL people being beheaded. The sheriff was supposed to be revealed as a half-man/half-robot once his head was chopped.

I liked how much the 12th Doctor doesn't like banter even though he bantered.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

September 11th, 2014, 2:16 am #77

Mark loved it. We're big fans of old movies and TCM and love Errol Flynn and he loved how the show lovingly mocked the ha-ha-ha and the banter.

>>>>>I kept thinking those robots were Cybermen each time they'd appear on screen.
I agree. They did not seem like the clockworks from TGitF. Rather a mishy-mashy mess. likely because of what Bloss posted about the RL beheadings. I didn't know about that - spoilers darlings!

blosslover
Site Admin

September 11th, 2014, 2:42 am #78

Here is the article that was posted by Radio Times about it. http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-09- ... are-killed I had to look around to find out exactly what was originally written...

ETA: Radio Times had a companion poll done in bracket style. The final two were Jack and Rose, and Rose won. If you want to see the voting etc. This link should work, of course ignore the comments as who knows if anyone put in spoilers. http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-09- ... n-champion (For the record Sarah Jane got knocked out by Jack, but she made the final four.)
Last edited by blosslover on September 11th, 2014, 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

bilki
Site Admin

September 20th, 2014, 2:56 am #79

Enjoyed Listen, though I didn't love it like the two reviews I read.

Thought it funny that Clara (still call her Amy in my mind) messed up with Danny again after she went back in her timeline and back in the restaurant.

Kinda cool to go back in the Doctor's timeline. I often wonder/think about how we are defined by childhood occurrences that may haunt us for a lifetime. I liked how Clara talked to the young Doctor about fear, though they were laying it on a little heavy with the dramatic music.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

September 20th, 2014, 4:44 pm #80

Listen was very good. I watched it a couple of times to see if I could figure out just how self-aware Dr. 12 seems to be at the moment. Loved that his childhood hiding place was the same place as the barn from "DotD."

I wish they'd do a flashback episode with McGann's 8, and Hurt's War Doctor, who is apparently still 8, McGann older?