blosslover
Site Admin

August 16th, 2014, 8:19 pm #61

I think the specials are kind of hit or miss. I'm just glad for something new to watch tonight. (The one tonight is called Doctor Who the Ultimate Companion...and the one on Monday night is called the Ultimate Time Lord). I figured it won't be all that historical, but it may be good for a few laughs or Whats...;) ETA: On Friday the 22nd they are having a show with parts of the World Tour material, which I may avoid until after the episode as who knows if anything will be spoiled.
Last edited by blosslover on August 16th, 2014, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bilki
Site Admin

August 25th, 2014, 3:34 am #62

Peter Capaldi didn't disappoint. Very happy with the new Doctor. I liked most of how they explored him looking older and more serious.

The episode was OK. I know the Doctor is supposed to be disoriented right after his regeneration but most of the early part felt clunky. Happy to see Vastra, Jenny and Strax. I was intrigued by the main robot/human guy but they didn't seem to really do to much with him. I'm not sure what I think about us wondering if he jumped to his death, or was pushed by the Doctor.

I think I enjoyed Clara more than I have since her debut in Asylum of the Daleks. Really cool scene with her trying to escape while holding her breath. Also appreciated what they did with her reaction to his change in appearance.

I don't see spoilers for this show, so didn't know of Matt Smith's appearance. I know I was being emotionally manipulated but I do think my eyes watered a tiny bit during that scene.

Interesting speculation on the identity of Missy. After reading her wiki page, I really like the idea of her being The Rani......but I doubt that wish will be fulfilled.
Last edited by bilki on August 25th, 2014, 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

blosslover
Site Admin

August 25th, 2014, 4:48 am #63

I liked Capaldi in the role, but that isn't surprising. My one issue was how I didn't get why Clara acted like she did with the Doctor. She knew about regeneration...and had met more than one other doctor.

The episode seemed a bit stretched... I didn't like the whole sound effect when the Doctor was hit by the newspaper. I felt like Capaldi had touches of numerous doctors.

Missy being the Rani would be good...

bilki
Site Admin

August 25th, 2014, 5:12 am #64

I've skipped most of Clara's episodes, so I didn't realize she had met other Doctors. But at the start of the episode she even seemed confused by the regeneration itself, which seemed odd to me.

On The Tardis Wikia, it mentions that The Rani has had some dealings with the T-Rex in the past, so I wonder if the T-Rex being here had some significance. I've also read that she's the same age as the Doctor and there have some hints of a past relationship, which could explain the "boyfriend" comment. In the few clips I've watched on YouTube, though, The Rani seems more serious that what we saw of Missy.

blosslover
Site Admin

August 25th, 2014, 5:40 am #65

Clara was the companion in the 50th anniversary episode, and as part of that she met the War and the 10th Doctor. She also knew about how they saved Gallifrey with all the doctors including 13...

bilki
Site Admin

August 25th, 2014, 2:50 pm #66

Oh yeah! I forgot about that, lol. Thanks, BL!

KMInfinity
Site Admin

August 26th, 2014, 12:33 am #67

Two thumbs up. Really liked Capaldi's #12 a lot. I also like the dynamic of him and Clara because it (mostly) takes OUT that romantic undercurrent that plays even if the writer didn't intend it.

>>>>>I felt like Capaldi had touches of numerous doctors.
I agree, but apparently some of that was unintentional, because PC was channeling the others a lot and stopped to retake many scenes when he thought he wasn't being unique. But I think it's good to 'blend' some character traits and quirks.

The Rani would be cool...also hear Missy might be the female Master. eh...

I liked the story much better than most of Eleven's, and loved the callback to madame de Pompadour and the Girl in the Fireplace episode. (I showed that to my 8th graders last Spring.) I agree it presented Clara in a better light than in most of her past work. I don't think Moffat hit exactly the right note with her struggles with regeneration, because y'all are right she knew about it and even saw it. But experiencing it with 'her' doctor caused her to be, like the audience sometimes, resistent to change.So Moffat needed to make it clearer that her issues were not really with the idea of regeneration, but in accepting a different 'package' for 'her' doctor.

My students seem generally split based on gender. The boys mostly like capaldi, the girls are a bit,,,,miffed that the Doctor isn't a fangurl fantasy BF any more. Thought they don't verbalize it exactly like that. :D

I also really enjoyed the AfterWho live talk show.

I wish the folks in Pgh had gotten their act together and scheduled the theater experience sooner so i could have done it. grrr
iii
iii
iii

blosslover
Site Admin

August 26th, 2014, 1:41 am #68

How do they verbalize it? I actually like the lower sexual tension, but that said it isn't as if I actually thought Clara and 11 acted at all like a couple. (If I was supposed to see it that way, I'd be offended as he treated her like crap in the Christmas episode.) With Jenny and Vastra I was a bit horrified about how Vastra objectified her wife, having her pose, that was supposed to be funny?

I liked the AfterWho show, and Gatiss was listed as one of the producers. Perhaps that's why it didn't completely suck. (BTW the Ultimate Time Lord and Companion shows had classic doctors and companions on as well...I liked the format wasn't just talking heads for a change, but Davison visiting with people like Colin, Syl & Paul at the con they were all together at earlier in the year.)

Oh in Pittsburgh they had it on Saturday...that would have been cool. I just hope they make the movie Q&A available...

BL (who got the Serenity t-shirt and the DWB - Tardis shirt on teefury over the weekend.)

bilki
Site Admin

September 1st, 2014, 3:16 am #69

Enjoyed Into the Daleks. More thought-provoking than I've come to expect from Moffat. Even watched it twice to get a better understanding. Was nice not to have everything quickly wrapped up in a convenient ending.

Is the Doctor asking if he's a good man because he isn't quite sure yet (part of the regeneration process), or because an ancient Time Lord is truly concerned with such an issue?

The more I see of Missy, the less I think she's the Rani.

blosslover
Site Admin

September 1st, 2014, 3:10 pm #70

The co-writer of the episode was Phil Ford who wrote Waters of Mars. (I have no idea why Moffat was also credited on the episode.)

I don't know why he is asking whether he is a good man either. Are they attempting character development?