blosslover
Site Admin

December 28th, 2013, 5:45 pm #41

I think almost any fan group can have annoying members. (I must admit at times, I bet I am way too much for people as sometimes I'm too much for myself.) Matt's fans seem quieter or else he has a lot less…they aren't pervasive the way DT's still are. That said I think Matt is well-liked in the US and Canada, but again it goes back to accessibility and how people only have started to see Who while Matt in the role. Also Matt seems to be a nice guy who just plays an eccentric character… ;) I think part of what hurts Matt is the fact that some viewers can't stand Moff's version of the show. There are a few people who are say "I like Matt, but I don't enjoy Doctor Who anymore."

I think you are right about the rumors regarding DT and all that (not that I know everything, far from it as I missed most of it. Like were people angry with him over Georgia?) I'd have to go search old articles to find out the real nasty stuff. That said I wonder if some fans wanted whomever played the Doctor to be beyond reproach. Then again the headlines write themselves as they could easily play off how he played Casanova, and all that jazz, plus Billie Piper was a tabloid queen even prior to DW. Bills nickname for him probably didn't help things in some circles...

I feel like I don't know Clara, while Donna, Rose, Martha, and Jack were all well-defined people. Even characters that weren't on as often like Rose's family, Mickey and Wilf had actual personalities. We didn't get to know Martha's family as much, but we barely knew anything about Amy's family or Rory's as we only met them on a couple of episodes. Amy's family didn't exist and then they did. I didn't hate Amy, but my feelings for her were based on the episode.

I want to see the full version of Christmas invasion…as I've only seen the BBC America edit.

With the coat, it wasn't a big deal, how he put it to the side even though it was significant. I didn't even notice he had put the coat away in the first viewing just that he didn't have it on himself. Yes it would have been like if 4 had taken the scarf off to regenerate or something…. Yes the character's DNA changes, the memories just remain, so he is physically a different person and the way he will react to situations is not the same.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

December 28th, 2013, 10:28 pm #42

Billie supposedly mispronounced the name in an interview (Freudian slip?) and it caught on...

I don't think people were upset with him and Georgia; but he did have a reputation as a player and dating 'on his turf' - people he worked with. They have a second kid on the way, and he adopted her first son, so they seem pretty stable now.

I agree the secondary cast (Rose's family, Donna's family, even Martha's...seem more like real people than the Ponds an clara...
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

blosslover
Site Admin

December 29th, 2013, 11:27 pm #43

LOL seriously...that's where it came from Billie misspeaking. I want to see the first usage, as I've only seen later ones. I could see some DW fans being offended that the nickname persisted as really that is so not child appropriate. I knew that DT dated the chick who played Reinette, but nothing beyond that. Doesn't actually matter though in the long run as long as nothing illegal happened (like the mess that the BBC has been dealing with in the last few months were some long time presenters are now accused of sexual abuse of children…UGH)

Georgia had another son. DT said on some radio show that he wanted to say hello to Ty, Olive and Wilfred along with Mrs. T.

While family was here, I watched the show with my nephew (13 years old). He has classmates who watch Who, but they don't have BBCAmerica. He prefers 10 to 11 (this isn't my influence, tho funny), but Jack is his new favorite. I put on the end of series 3 for us to watch, and he hadn't seen Jack before, and really liked him. Unfortunately he is way too young for Torchwood. He didn't even have an issue with him liking both men and women or anyone else for that matter. It was funny when we explained it to my sister (his mom)…

Oh in other news: "My very brief acquaintanceship with Tumblr is it's a place where people who really hate me gather" -Steven Moffat I also saw another quote about how Moff believes that what differentiates the companions are the actors not the writing. Does that make any sense?

Speaking of the Christmas show: Paul Cornell who wrote DW (Father's Day, and Human Nature/Family of Blood) wrote a short story in 2009, which has the same sort of premise as Matt's final show.

http://www.paulcornell.com/2009/12/12-b ... _9773.html

KMInfinity
Site Admin

January 8th, 2014, 2:36 am #44

A brutal indictment of the Moffat years, mourning what coulda been with Matt Smith.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... th/282690/

“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

bilki
Site Admin

January 8th, 2014, 5:56 am #45

It was validating to read what he said about S7. I very much enjoyed Matt Smith as the Doctor but even he couldn't keep me interested enough to continue watching Moffat's show. By the time Amy and Rory were sent packing, I'd had enough.

Who makes the decision to bring on a new showrunner? I so wish we'd gotten a new one when we got a new Doctor. My fear is the Moffat will stick around long enough for the show to slide right off my radar.
Last edited by bilki on January 8th, 2014, 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dax
Site Admin

January 8th, 2014, 6:19 am #46

Dunno. BBC-owned, right? Whoever is running them...

Moffat won't be fired, but he'll probably eventually hand it off voluntarily...

KMInfinity
Site Admin

January 8th, 2014, 11:47 am #47

he gets so much praise for Sherlock, and there still is a sufficient fanbase of his, and another segment who think DW is a 'kids show' (as if that excuses crap????) so I agree with Dax. he'll leave only when he wants to leave.

Loved the 'eight words.' Is that I thing I never knew about?

blosslover
Site Admin

January 8th, 2014, 7:01 pm #48

The thing is there are so few episodes of Sherlock (something like 9 since 2010), so even with the great ratings within the UK it isn't a bulletproof situation. It is up to the BBC to get rid of Moff or he has to decide to go. (I've seen people try to Harriet Jones ala Christmas Invasion, Moff, which I find hilarious...--sorry that means that people are saying that he looks tired to get the BBC to have a vote of no confidence and get rid of him.)

Don't want to give any spoilers out, but Capaldi started taping. The poor guy was hurt during his last acting job (three musketeers which will actually air on BBCAmerica)...he plays Cardinal Richlieu and he dislocated his thumb and still is in pain.

I never heard of the eight words thing, but appropriate, so many times that's exactly what happened to me, I didn't realize that was an actual thing.

Dax
Site Admin

January 8th, 2014, 9:32 pm #49

I saw World War Z recently, with Capaldi as a 'WHO Doctor', which is an adorable coincidence.

Dax
Site Admin

January 18th, 2014, 6:18 pm #50