blosslover
Site Admin

December 26th, 2014, 4:38 pm #141

I thought Last Christmas was entertaining, but a mixture of Amy's Choice and the beetle that Donna had to deal with that created another universe. The quips though were very amusing.

Again I liked the guest people, that was interesting in this series that a lot of the guest people I could see as future companions. Maybe they were testing in case Jenna decided to leave...

I think that's interesting about Tom Baker....due to issues with my RTV (local sports preemptions, I've been missing a lot of episodes, so I'm rather confused...on the weekend RTV I missed Hartnell becoming Troughton due to going out for my birthday... When I saw the one BBCAmerica Tom Baker episode, my feeling was great love for Lis Sladen, and Baker was just okay...It takes time for him to get into the part, and I think if one really likes Pertwee it is harder.)

KMInfinity
Site Admin

December 26th, 2014, 5:09 pm #142

>>>>>a mixture of Amy's Choice and the beetle that Donna had to deal with that created another universe.
A lot of the people being negative are complaining it was a ripoff of Inception, and I just laugh at that....as if Inception invented the 'reality is in doubt' plot. One reason I like the episode so much is that I do enjoy those kinds of plots when they are well executed, and i think Moffat did well. Other people are miffed that Clara isn't gone, which is unfair to the actual episode.

But most of the critics and fans loved it, and the general feeling is this is the best Christmas episode...or #2 or #3 after Tennant's Christmas Invasion and Matt's Christmas Carol.

>>>>>Again I liked the guest people, that was interesting in this series that a lot of the guest people I could see as future companions. Maybe they were testing in case Jenna decided to leave...

There's a rumor that Coleman wasn't sure she'd resign so they filmed two endings and we saw both since she decided to stay, and the guests were possible new companions.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

blosslover
Site Admin

December 27th, 2014, 12:55 am #143

For some Inception may have...I agree with you that the movie wasn't the creator of that idea. Clara leaving or not leaving shouldn't influence the like of the episode. I do think it is the best one in years...last year's I didn't like...

I would love it though if they would have two companions in the TARDIS again that were just friends and not love interests. That would be fun, as DW hasn't done that in years.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

December 27th, 2014, 2:11 am #144

One thing I liked is that the episode seemed to resolve the tension between The Doctor and Clara. The lies are out in the open, her residual 'mourning' for Eleven is done, they seem to have a connection again. Capaldi's Doctor WANTS her along, instead of sort of grudgingly expecting her along, and she admits she has feelings for him 'like for Santa' so that ends the flirty hints. And most importantly, according to most Clara haters, there wasn't all of the "STOP THAT" and bossy Clara where she seemed to know more than him, be more the center than him.

So the readjustment of their dynamic could be a great thing.

At least she isn't as boring as I thought she was when she was The Impossible Girl with Matt.

“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

bilki
Site Admin

December 29th, 2014, 12:21 am #145

It was fun. Probably the one Christmas special I've liked most, that I can remember. I'm a big fan of bickering/banter, most of the time, so the back-and-forth between the Doctor and Santa made me chuckle.

Also a fan of dreamy-weamy stuff, and this was no exception. The dream-within-a-dream nature of it was probably the main reason I liked it as much as I did. I can see the comparisons to Inception but this didn't feel like a "rip off" to me.

I was a little disappointed in the ending, mostly because I was looking forward to a new companion. But Clara has grown on me enough that I'm not pissed about it.

In regards to Tom Baker, it makes sense that you're still adjusting to him, KMI, especially because you've got so many other Doctors to compare him against. I really like Pertwee, and could see myself having trouble with Tom Baker if I had met Pertwee first. I wonder, though, if what you see as buffoon-ish I see as more of a playful quality.

How far off is "City of Angels" on RTV? I've read so many positive things about that one, and now I see that it was written by Douglas Adams. I'm currently reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which I'm enjoying.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

December 30th, 2014, 2:11 am #146

>>>In regards to Tom Baker, it makes sense that you're still adjusting to him, KMI, especially because you've got so many other Doctors to compare him against. I really like Pertwee, and could see myself having trouble with Tom Baker if I had met Pertwee first. I wonder, though, if what you see as buffoon-ish I see as more of a playful quality.

Slowly adjusting. He DOES seem to have a good range, so his 'playfulness' will be balanced with a steelier side, which I will appreciate once I get used to him. He was great in Genesis of the Daleks, especially the Shakespearean 'aside/monologue' where he's debating the justification for committing genocide to destroy the newly created daleks. So many stories are starting to resonate with what comes later... <3

I gotta say the iconic scarf is driving me crazy! It's so....THERE. and sometimes IN THE WAY...

>>>>>How far off is "City of Angels" on RTV? I've read so many positive things about that one, and now I see that it was written by Douglas Adams. I'm currently reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which I'm enjoying.

We have appx five weeks to "Pirate Planet" (which he wrote) but probably at least 4 months until season 17 when he was the showrunner for Bake's final season. that's tthe season with City of Death and Sharda.
(I didn't know this, had to look it up in my who-links folder... B-) )

Baker 4's run:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/ ... urth.shtml

KMInfinity
Site Admin

April 11th, 2015, 11:47 pm #147

Well, I am sorry to report that Baker will NOT be one of my favorite doctors. (#4 regenerated in the Logopolis arc this week and now I get to check out Davison.) I was hoping I'd warm up to him, because it would have made my life easier if I, for once, ran with the big crowd but nope. I prefer #3. And even #2 and #1, especially in terms of storytelling.

I do know have a stronger understanding of what old-school Whovians are talking about when the are discussing what they view as a shift in the stories/styles. Me, I personally like even Matt's Doctor #11 better than Baker's #5, which means my list has him iat the bottom and I haven't even seen 5-6-7 (and need to rewatch 8's movie).

#3 (Capaldi still on trial, could be near to top...maybe not)

It is good that I can see how some of these stories and companions fit into the greater picture, but overall I found the plots really really silly, and Baker really really annoying.

bilki
Site Admin

April 12th, 2015, 12:29 am #148

Blasphemy!!!

:D

KMInfinity
Site Admin

April 12th, 2015, 12:52 am #149

I know, right?

:ermm:

:firemad:

bilki
Site Admin

April 12th, 2015, 2:10 am #150

I do wonder if you'd have a different opinion of Tom Baker's Doctor if you'd watched him back in the 80s, a time when we were more accepting of a lot of silliness that wouldn't pass with today's audiences. And after you hear about how loved something or someone is for so long, it can be difficult for you own opinion not to be tainted.

But I'm not making excuses, or anything.