bilki
Site Admin

November 18th, 2014, 2:46 am #131

KMInfinity wrote:This is why fast forward is needed when watching old-Who. :firemad: I fast forward quite a bit.
That's funny because I've been telling myself you're dedicated enough to watch each episode from start to finish, which gives me pangs of guilt. It's a relief knowing you skip stuff, too, lol.

The Daleks is off to a good start. I'm about half way through EP3, but being that it's 7 episodes I'll probably get restless at some point.

I warmed to Pertwee immediately but it's taking me a bit longer with Hartnell. I'm guessing it's because I'm so used to quick and witty Doctors, and Hartnell has a different kind of delivery.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

November 19th, 2014, 2:17 am #132

>>>>>I warmed to Pertwee immediately but it's taking me a bit longer with Hartnell.

Did you see "Adventure in Time and Space" ? If not, that might help set the tone. It's excellent. David Bradley is terrific. http://www.bbcamerica.com/doctor-who/gu ... -and-time/
Last edited by KMInfinity on November 19th, 2014, 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

blosslover
Site Admin

November 19th, 2014, 5:05 am #133

I watched some of The 3 Doctors on RTV the last couple of days. Sometimes I wish they would do supercuts of the classic shows. I saw the first episode on RTV and love it then got bored...as the serial continued. The weekend showing on RTV is the gunfighters, which is the strangest thing. I can totally understand why Barrowman would talk about it the way he did in the 1st Doctor special last year.

I think the first Pertwee story was extremely good as an introduction and found him likable from the start. Perhaps part of it was how I could parse things out that reminded me of modern Who.
Last edited by blosslover on November 19th, 2014, 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

bilki
Site Admin

November 19th, 2014, 4:47 pm #134

The Three Doctors has been my favorite serial of all the Classic Who I've watched over the past week and a half. Mostly because I enjoyed the interactions between Two, Three and the Brigadier. I can see how it would get a bit boring, though, and Omega's story might seem silly.

wrote:Did you see "Adventure in Time and Space" ? If not, that might help set the tone. It's excellent. David Bradley is terrific.
Were they airing that last year around the time of the Christmas Special? I feel like I may have watched parts of it because I'd not ever seen Hartnell before.

The Daleks was mostly good. It held my full attention through the first 4 episodes, but by the middle of episode 6 I was ready to skip to the end of 7. I ended up just reading the recap for the final episodes on TARDIS wiki and called it a day. I'm curious about The Edge of Destruction because it's just 2 episodes that take place inside the TARDIS.
Last edited by bilki on November 19th, 2014, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

November 20th, 2014, 2:45 am #135

>>>>>"Adventure in Time and Space"-----Were they airing that last year around the time of the Christmas Special?

It aired the week before the 50th Anniversary special I think.

>>>>>The weekend showing on RTV is the gunfighters...

The Okay Corral story? That was w-e-i-r-d and didn't feel like Who at all.
Last edited by KMInfinity on November 20th, 2014, 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

blosslover
Site Admin

November 20th, 2014, 4:51 am #136

Yes it aired at the 50th time, and then again around Christmas.

Exactly, it felt like some weird bad historical wild west movie...(The Gunfighters)

KMInfinity
Site Admin

December 2nd, 2014, 3:50 am #137

The Sarah Jane arc began on Retro last week. Really enjoying her a lot with Pertwee. I think he regenerates this week.

bilki
Site Admin

December 2nd, 2014, 4:07 am #138

I know I've mentioned before how much I love Sarah Jane, so I watched her first serial last week. Enjoyed it quite a bit, maybe even more than I expected. I'll give Linx some credit, too. He was a fun villain.

I tried to watch Pertwee's final serial but skipped through most of it after EP2. Actually, I skipped right to the end to watch the regeneration.

I've been taking a little break but may start watching again soon at the beginning of Tom Baker's run. Those are the stories I remember from when I was a kid.

blosslover
Site Admin

December 2nd, 2014, 5:39 am #139

Shoot due to the holidays I haven't been seeing the Retro episodes and, but good to know about Lis Sladen's stuff being on as I do want to see that.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

December 26th, 2014, 3:34 pm #140

I adored "Last Christmas." I know there will be a LOT of nit-pickers and people pointing out all of the dreamy-weamy mess, but there were so many good lines and character moments I was enchanted. Plus I love all of those 'reality is in doubt' plots, so for me that's a big win.

http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/doctor-who ... s-special/

I hope he's right about Shona - loved her. More after I surf the hoi-polloi views.

(Retro update - still getting used to Tom Baker. I know he's iconic, but I am finding him more buffoonish than I expected, more like #2, who is the one I liked least of the three early Doctors. I adore Sarah Jane and her chutzpah. She is SO young. The writing is still very comic bookish. I am currently in E2 of genesis of the Daleks, a seminal series, and not sure what to think. Davros is a serous let-down so far.)
Last edited by KMInfinity on December 27th, 2014, 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.