blosslover
Site Admin

November 13th, 2014, 2:46 am #121

KMI did you have any more thoughts about the final two episodes if you had more time to think about them?

Anyway I wanted to post this article with Moff... http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-11- ... ven-moffat

KMInfinity
Site Admin

November 13th, 2014, 4:19 am #122

That just proves Moff is all about plotty tricksy crap. :-(

I have moe thoughts but no time to think them thru. :D

Bilki if you get retro TV, they are in the middle of the Pertwee years and every other arc has Delgado. I like him. Retro airs 2 episodes nightly (half hour each)

http://www.myretrotv.com/

http://twidw.doctorwhonews.net/channels ... 2014-09-30

I'm excited---The Three Doctors 4 episode arc on Mon-Tues!

At least a month before Baker's Doctor appears. I don't think they are showing every episode - I think some are missing...
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

bilki
Site Admin

November 15th, 2014, 3:11 am #123

Thanks for that link, KMI! Looks like there isn't an affiliate that carries RetroTV here in Columbus, OH. Oh well.

Do you think any of Delgado's Master stories are better than the rest? I found Terror of the Autons on DailyMotion and just finished watching it. I thought the story a bit weak, and the Autons felt insignificant, but I did enjoy Pertwee's Doctor, Jo Grant and Delgado. My biggest complaint would probably be that the Master's motivation for wanting to kill the Doctor seemed to be only because he's E-VOL. That was their first serial together, though, so I'm assuming the rivalry gets 'fleshed out' a bit more in future episodes.

I found The Three Doctors on Netflix, so I'm going to watch that next. I've not seen any of the serials with Hartnell's or Thoughton's Doctors. Autons was the first time I'd seen a full episode with Pertwee.

blosslover
Site Admin

November 15th, 2014, 6:05 am #124

Here is the RTV live feed link. http://www.tikilive.com/show/wsfd15 to see what DW is airing...

It doesn't always work, but you could check it out if you were around in the evenings Monday to Friday 8 - 9 pm ET or 6 - 8 ET on Saturdays...

bilki
Site Admin

November 15th, 2014, 3:59 pm #125

Thanks, BL!

Really enjoyed The Three Doctors. I was a little worried going in because the reviews on its wiki page were mixed, but I ended up watching all 4 episodes in one sitting. The bickering between Two and Three was quite fun. Also liked the Brigadier's confusion over it all, and how Omega's will made a prison for himself. Cool to hear them talk about the First Law of Time because I had wondered about where that'd come from.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

November 15th, 2014, 4:20 pm #126

>>>>>Do you think any of Delgado's Master stories are better than the rest?

Over all, because of the mix of characters and story, I'd say the Mind of Evil, Colonies in Space, and the Sea Devils. But since the stories are 4-6 episodes long there is always a scene or two that shines somewhere. There isn't really a consensus of 'the best of Delgado' which I think is significant, and lots of folks who agree they're all good or better on some level.

Delgado's master is legendary for being a 'gentlemanly' bad guy. He and Pertwee were great friends and I think I read somewhere that when Delgado died (in a car accident) Pertwee only did one more season and said he just couldn't play the Doctor without Degado opposite him. Maybe apocryphal?? I'll check.

Looking around, I found this. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6-NZCu ... re=related

I just love his expressive face.

>>>>>My biggest complaint would probably be that the Master's motivation for wanting to kill the Doctor seemed to be only because he's E-VOL.

Yeah, that's going to be consistent, for the most part. There has always been a bit of confusion about The Master, his motivation, his 'frenemy relationship' with The Doctor. Retcons that the show later touches upon include the whole debate about whether The Master is The Doctor's brother. For sure, he's a 'best friend' at the Time Lord Academy. And his insanity is The Doctor's fault, sort of, sometimes, depending on the episode. Great first line in this article.

http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/doctor-who/2 ... the-master

And reading the article makes it very clear to me why Missy just is a terrible terrible alt-Master.
Last edited by KMInfinity on November 15th, 2014, 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

blosslover
Site Admin

November 17th, 2014, 2:45 am #127

Here are the full ratings in the UK for DW this series...interesting how the finale had a higher rating, but not as high as the premiere.

The 2014 ratings so far:

Deep Breath 6.8m (overnight) 9.17m (final) 10.76m (L+7) AI 82
Into the Dalek 5.2m (overnight) 7.29m (final) 8.26m (L+7) AI 84
Robot of Sherwood 5.2m (overnight) 7.28m (final) 8.25m (L+7) AI 82
Listen 4.8m (overnight) 7.01m (final) 7.80m (L+7) AI 82
Time Heist 4.93m (overnight) 6.99m (final) AI 84
The Caretaker 4.89m (overnight) 6.82m (final) AI 83
Kill the Moon 4.81m (overnight) 6.91m (final) AI 82
Mummy on the Orient Express 5.08m (overnight) 7.11m (final) AI 85
Flatline 4.6m (overnight) 6.71m (final) AI 85
In the Forest of the Night 5.03m (overnight) 6.92m (final) AI 83
Dark Water 5.27m (overnight) 7.34m (final) AI 85
Death in Heaven 5.45m (overnight) 7.60m (final) AI 83

Also to add: Here are the US ratings for the Doctor Who series 8 finale... 18-49...and what the ratings looked like for Capaldi's first episode...

DOCTOR WHO SEASON 8 BBCA 9:00 PM 1102 (live same day - add 000) 0.4 (FINALE)
DOCTOR WHO SEASON 8 BBCA 8:15 PM 2189 (live same day - add 000) 0.9 (Capaldi's 1st Full episode)
Last edited by blosslover on November 17th, 2014, 2:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

bilki
Site Admin

November 17th, 2014, 3:32 am #128

Looks like the numbers took a good hit after Listen. I enjoyed the season but can't think of one episode that stands out as one I'd want to watch again. If it weren't for how much I like Capaldi, I might of not watched every episode of the season.
wrote:And reading the article makes it very clear to me why Missy just is a terrible terrible alt-Master.
Michelle Gomez's performance is what saves it for me. She's fun to watch and has a good chemistry with Capaldi. But even though I've only seen one serial with Delgado's Master, I still don't see why she is the Master. Other than the fact that she told us that's who she is, I don't see any kind of satisfying connection. On the bright side, though, the reveal that she's the Master has gotten me in the mood to watch Classic Who.

Spearhead From Space is on NetFlix, and on a number of the Best-Classic-Who lists, so I've watched that one next. Enjoyed Three's introduction, and I'm becoming a big fan of the Brigadier. Liz Shaw was fun, too. The Autons got to do a lot more than in Terror of the Autons but I got slightly bored in the middle until the action started picking up at the end of episode 3. I loved that the Doctors cape was something he'd taken/stolen from the hospital.

bilki
Site Admin

November 17th, 2014, 11:36 pm #129

Just got a free trial for Hulu Plus. When I went to see what Classic Who episodes they have, to my surprise I found An Unearthly Child! Really enjoyed the first episode. A nice set up. Then they totally lost my attention with those silly primitive people and their quest for fire. I skipped EP3 and through EP4 until the Doctor and his companions race to the TARDIS and land on the next planet.

There's a lot more Classic Who on Hulu Plus than NetFlix. I'm excited to watch the first story featuring the Daleks!

KMInfinity
Site Admin

November 18th, 2014, 2:07 am #130

>>>>>The Autons got to do a lot more than in Terror of the Autons but I got slightly bored in the middle
>>>>>Then they totally lost my attention with those silly primitive people and their quest for fire.

This is why fast forward is needed when watching old-Who. :firemad: I fast forward quite a bit.