blosslover
Site Admin

November 25th, 2013, 11:31 pm #11

That would have been...

Anyway, so thoughts would be cool.

I liked certain things, some made me pause...and others made we want more.

Reading stuff about the con in the UK. Have you seen anything complete?

bilki
Site Admin

November 26th, 2013, 5:07 am #12

I'll have to check out the new Doctor when he starts. You know, just to see. I feel like I'm burnt out on Moffat and his schtick, so I doubt I'll stick around for the full season when it airs next Fall.

OK, I see he was on the 50th Anniversary Special. I was thinking he was going to "debut" on the Christmas Special.
Last edited by bilki on November 26th, 2013, 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

blosslover
Site Admin

November 26th, 2013, 6:04 am #13

His eyes were on the 50th special. What about Moffat don't you like. I'll be honest, I'm an RTD fan and in some circles that makes me bad because his stuff was dramatic and angsty. Sorry, I prefer an adult show that kids can watch, to a kid show that adults can watch. I think the character development with Moffat in some ways SUCKED like how Amy/Rory found out their friend Mels was actually their daughter. That was like 3 seconds..really..

Regardless of the 50th special bilki if you have a chance you need to watch the Five(ish) doctors special if possible. This video was beyond hilarious and Moffat is the bad guy.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

November 27th, 2013, 1:56 am #14

Big agree Bloss. I'm not a Moff fan much. He even messed up his own Weeping Angels - started with a really scary, simple monster then made them too complicated. He's a better writer when he's under someone else's control. I don't like him as the showrunner/producer. I loved Empty Child/The Doctor Dances BECAUSE it was unusual that "...Just this once, everybody lives..."

Now, everybody lives all the time.

I prefer angsty RTD too, in all his glorious melodrama...

Last edited by KMInfinity on November 27th, 2013, 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Dax
Site Admin

November 27th, 2013, 2:02 am #15

I have no idea how I'll prefer my Doctor Who (I've never gotten into it, but I'll get assimilated one of these days...), but I like Moffat and Mark Gatiss' Sherlock very much.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

November 27th, 2013, 2:55 am #16

Gatiss is great. His biopic with Bradley as the First Doctor, Hartnell, was wonderful.

It's been a great weekends to be a Whovian.... : D
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

blosslover
Site Admin

November 27th, 2013, 3:14 am #17

Exactly I wept watching the "Everybody lives" scene because that is so rare. It was a double whammy emotionally thinking about how so many people were lost during WWII in London for reasons that had nothing to do with the episode.

Blink was genius even if Martha and the Doctor were barely in it. They went back to the well too many times with the concept as I didn't understand why 11 didn't copy what was done in the Blink to defeat them.

Dax, I think since Moff doesn't see Sherlock as a kids show and he can't play with timey wimey stuff it is more sane. (The part where 11 uses that term, and 10 lies about where he got it from to the War doctor was funny.) I agree with KMI about Gatiss.

Another thing I wonder, I read somewhere that they said that Matt Smith's Doctor was written/created to be more US accessible. Do you think his Doctor is more appealing to US viewers or is it just because Who is more available in the US than it used ot be...

ETA: Just read this...If true I hope it helps. Capaldi being a DW freak for most of his life may make things better. "So, I was at the 50th in London Excel yesterday and I thought you might find this interesting. During the Eleventh Hour panel when talking about Capaldi, Matt mentioned that the new Doctor knows as much about DW as Moffat (sure you disagree with that statement). Moffat replied by saying that him and Capaldi have already argued over scripts. I've a feeling next season will have a lot less continuity errors and plot holes."
Last edited by blosslover on November 27th, 2013, 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

bilki
Site Admin

November 28th, 2013, 5:22 pm #18

blosslover wrote:What about Moffat don't you like.
His stories are too often convoluted or sappy. I'm still mad about what he allowed to happen with the Cybermen back in Closing Time. I didn't care for most of the episodes that were the last run of Amy and Rory. It's just not the Doctor I remember. I grew up watching Tom Baker's Doctor, and I'm pretty sure there weren't any sappy endings.

I have enjoyed some of his stuff, though. I really liked Amy and Rory. The Silence is kinda cool. River Song was fun for a bit. Asylum of the Daleks was a good story for the Daleks, I thought.

I've only seen a handful of RTD-helmed episodes but I probably like him better. I loooooove Midnight!
Last edited by bilki on November 28th, 2013, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blosslover
Site Admin

November 28th, 2013, 7:54 pm #19

Bilki too bad you haven't seen more of RTD stuff as I'd love to discuss it with you. It isn't like classic Who in a lot of ways (not that I know much about the classic stuff.) In a video I watched about series 1, RTD mentioned how he intentionally tried to make the revival Doctor Who into a show that women would also want to watch. Some fans say that goes against what Doctor Who is, which I find kind of sexist. Really, so girls and women shouldn't watch..and it should go back to the days where the female companion is crying/screaming and not doing anything. :(

While I thought Stormaggedon (aka Alfie) was adorable, the episode was ridiculous. Right, someone lives and isn't made a cyberman because of a child. That makes no sense...if that happened in a parallel universe it would have been easier to accept.

I really liked Amy and Rory too, though I felt they were underwritten...things like how they remember things that were undone and such...

Each of RTD's seasons had a different tone...while I think Moff's show was more consistent in that way and it wasn't just because Moff only had Matt Smith as the Doctor. KMI does that make sense? I could write about that, but no time...

Bilki have you seen School Reunion? That's the episode from RTD where Sarah Jane came back into the story as a guest star and she has a lot to do. It is one of my personal favorites. Midnight I thought was interesting from an acting POV and the idea that the Doctor was the one possessed. What I didn't know while watching was one of the guest performers in the episodes was Patrick Troughton's son. ;)

bilki
Site Admin

November 29th, 2013, 3:31 am #20

Haven't seen School Reunion but I loved Sarah Jane Smith, even though she was probably one of the crying/screaming companions. She was the first companion in Tom Baker's time as the Doctor. As a kid, I was a little heartbroken when the Doctor left her behind. I liked Leela (his next companion) but wished and hoped for Sarah Jane's return. I've seen Journey's End and thought it was so cool to have Sarah Jane and Davros reunited.

I'd agree that Amy and Rory were underwritten. I can't remember what it was but there was something that always bothered me in regards to their relationship with River Song.
Last edited by bilki on November 29th, 2013, 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.