Colony

Dax
Site Admin

January 30th, 2016, 7:32 pm #1

bilki, after #1 >> Colony was OK. Didn't feel all that original (I was hoping for a more Mr Robot-like show), though the twist at the end was intriguing. The Hollywood Reporter reviewer said it gets better, so I'll continue watching for now. Plus, I want to see what Kathy Baker gets to do.

Me, but I hadn't seen it yet >> Ooh, I like Kathy Baker...

Gate >> I liked Colony. It works for me. I thought it was different and want to know more about what is going on. My husband just kept saying 'You like it because of Sawyer'. LOL ... that helped a lot. :)

Krystal >> I will try Colony soon.

KMI >> Watched E1 of Colony. mmmm, Josh.... It feels very stale to me. After the finale of Falling Skies, Childhood's End, and The Expanse it seems pretty basic. I'll stick with it awhile to see if they develop the characters, and to see what the aliens are like.

Me >>

Colony (USA)
-
Josh Holloway -- Will Bowman
Sarah Wayne Callies -- Katie Bowman
Peter Jacobson -- Alan Snyder
Amanda Righetti -- Maddie Kenner
Tory Kittles -- Broussard
Alex Neustaedter -- Bram Bowman
Isabella Crowetti-Cramp -- Gracie Bowman

I'm in for a season (it's 10 episodes). No, it's not the immediate 'wow' that Mr. Robot was, but I'm intrigued enough. I like Holloway.

We have seen a few invasion stories now, and the fences and armed guards felt like what we just saw recently on Fear the Walking Dead, but the husband-and-wife-working-at-cross-purposes thing looks like it might be fun. I think it's got potential.

KMI >> I agree that's one facet I'm interested in. I've seen it explored in novels, not really in shows. There are elements that remind me a lot of Heinlein's Puppetmasters (written 1951, 3 years before Finney's Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and much better).

bilki >> I re-watched Colony. My favorite scene was still when the Proxy Governor showed up to make the family breakfast. I think I'm more interested in him than Josh Holloway's character. There were some good Sawyer moments on LOST but I don't find Holloway to be all that compelling (ducks). Lori (Sarah Wayne Callies) was one of the main reasons I quit watching S1 of The Walking Dead but I think she works for me here.

If Carlton Cuse weren't involved, I would hope for this to be like The Americans with aliens.

Me >> Cuse very busy since Lost - I like Bates Motel, but the second season of The Strain was pretty dull, and the remake of The Returned didn't work...

I don't know anything about Colony co-creator Ryan Condal, really... He wrote a recent Hercules film that Dwayne Johnson was in, and worked with Cuse on a pilot of a comics adaptation (The Sixth Gun) that didn't go forward a few years ago...

Krystal >> We watched colony last night. I thought it was pretty good or at least good enough to watch a few more. I don't care for the woman who's the lead. But I like Josh Holloway enough.

----- #2 -----

bilki >> I was mildly impressed with Episode 2 of Colony. Carlos didn't get a happy ending and Katie's intel to the mysterious-resistance-guy probably didn't help in the way she thought it would. Always happy to see Kathy Baker, even if they didn't give her much to do.

Gate >> I like Colony a lot. Very curious about what is going on.

Krystal >> What did happen to Carlos and the other ones who went to the farm? Was that white light supposed to be disintegrating them or what? I'm interested in the show but if it gets too confusing I may not hang with it.

KMI >> Yeah I enjoyed E2 more than I expected, partly because of the balance. The show is juggling a lot of different things well. The biggest I assume moving forward is Katie's dilemmas. She wants Will to find her son, wants to help the Resistance, yet both come thru Will collaborating.

And Will may be not be so averse to collaborating in the long run - what if he comes to accept that collaboration is the right thing to do?

If Will's boss is right, and the aliens are truly THAT dominant, then it makes sense to cooperate to survive, to find out a possible long term strategy that will save lives/the human race. Despite the costs to civil liberties, justice, etc? It's a really good question (and one Childhood's End sort of sidestepped) - What if resistance IS TRULY futile? But Geronimo claims to be on the verge of a major strike capable of real damage. Are they deluded? I think I'll trust Will's boss on this.

Not to mention the spycraft of the Resistance seems really poor. I keep comparing Will's actions and Katie's phone calls and undercover activity with Carrie Mathison. Granted Katie probably wasn't a pro 8 months ago, but Will was. Do they not think their homes are bugged?

At this point I don't really care about the Factory mystery. It may simply be a euphemism code for a death camp. The set-up looked that way. Though I people on PTV pointed out that the vics were NOT dead at the end, (which I also noted) but in fact actually showered (literally sterilized) - to work with the aliens some way without contaminating the aliens? If so, then that's a huge clue that this might have a 'War of the Worlds' end, which I hope not. Too commonplace. Against the idea - kids are sent to The Factory. Would they be wanted to work? Or is The Factory many things? I saw suggestions the aliens may need cyborg components - unwilling Daleks. It'd be nice to finally get some Dr. Who influence.

Some viewers are claiming the people looked zombiefied/brain wiped at the end of the process. I didn't notice that, anyone else?

It would be nice if the aliens were here for a logical reason this time, instead of for....water....or to eat people. (SMH and looking at "V").

The craziest idea I've seen, and maybe the coolest, is that there is no alien invasion - it's a modified False Flag scenario being used by a new world government to take over and control.

Krystal >> I really haven't put so much bartender the show. It seems to me that the wife could tell the husband that she is part of the resistance and what's he going to do he's in it to save the family so he can't really tell on her. Maybe they should talk to one another and then see what information would be best leaked.

I thought the people who went to the farm or killed did someone see them alive after they had been in the chamber or whatever it was?

I agree about having the house is bugged in the car and everything else seems to me that they're being very careless and sloppy about having conversations and communications.

Gate >> LOL! I do think it is completely stupid that the husband and wife don't talk to each other because they both want the same thing ... their kid back. What I find stupid is the wife taking a chance on getting the husband killed with her sneaking around. I'm still enjoying it but I do call the BS flag a lot.

Krystal >> Yes this show could get old to me real fast if there's this ongoing lies between the wife and the husband. Obviously he's doing this to keep them safe and to try to get the son back. And it seems to me if she told him they could coordinate and just need enough to make it look like he was doing his job. Of course we really don't know anything about the aliens are the overlords or whatever they are. Is there really a chance to get back to normalcy or is the power of the aliens such that we have no prayer no matter what?

bilki >> Quote: What if resistance IS TRULY futile? But Geronimo claims to be on the verge of a major strike capable of real damage. Are they deluded? I think I'll trust Will's boss on this.

Yes, defeat in 8 days is damn quick! Why does Geronimo think the resistance even has a chance? I wondered if there's a faction of the aliens that may be helping the humans.

Quote: Some viewers are claiming the people looked zombiefied/brain wiped at the end of the process. I didn't notice that, anyone else?

They only show Carlos' face when the group is emerging in the hospital-looking garb. He's staring blankly into the bright light.

Quote: The craziest idea I've seen, and maybe the coolest, is that there is no alien invasion - it's a modified False Flag scenario being used by a new world government to take over and control.

The composition of that wall looks beyond our technology.

----- #3 -----

bilki >> I liked that Katie's mission was considered a success but didn't play out as the fairy tale she imagined. It's clear that she's a new member but what was she expecting? She knew about the explosion in first episode. Only the "bad" guys will suffer casualties? And, I wonder if we'll get a good explanation as to why she didn't tell Will about her becoming a part of the Resistance before he joined Homeland Security.

Did we meet Geronimo in the beginning of the episode, or is that a code name people are using? I'm settling into the idea that this show may be more about whether to act out or keep the peace, rather than being just about a battle against the aliens.

I'm still ruminating on why Will is posing such a problem for the Resistance. It looks like Beau (Carl Weathers) isn't in a hurry to solve any crimes but he said that Jennifer is a true believer. Jennifer hasn't made any headway against them?

I liked Beau's story about being there because of his dishwasher.

They're still making beer in San Fran and making whiskey in Kentucky.

It was odd to me that Katie was talking to Broussard about Resistance info as he sat at the bar with all of those people around him.

Do the Bowmans trust that creepy teacher???

KMI >>I'm really liking this more and more, because it does seem to be delving into characters and how they are dealing with the challenges, rather than harping on the tired "who are the aliens and what do they want' as the main focus. I agree, Bilki - the show may be more about whether to act out or keep the peace, rather than being just about a battle against the aliens. I'd add that the story is exploring choices in general - where are the lines "you" won't cross? what will you do to survive? How do you juggle competing goals? I like this aspect a LOT.

Quote: I liked that Katie's mission was considered a success but didn't play out as the fairy tale she imagined. It's clear that she's a new member but what was she expecting? She knew about the explosion in first episode

Agreed. I think they did a good job showing the nitty gritty of rebellion. Very messy. Lots of collateral damage. Ambiguous goals especially in the beginning. The whole point to all that death was just to get some data on response times for the drones (Stopwatch One) and HS (Stopwatch Two). The supplies were a secondary issue, probably to provide good will to encourage people to look favorably on geronimo despite the collateral damage going forward. Which also came out in the radio broad cast, which I LOVED!

Quote: And, I wonder if we'll get a good explanation as to why she didn't tell Will about her becoming a part of the Resistance before he joined Homeland Security.

I assume it's to keep him safe. The classic example is that you want to minimize risk if tortured. I don't always buy the logic. Too much secrecy results in weak effectiveness in any organization, and they should see that in this case, given Will's skills. Which makes it even worse that she continues to hide it form him, and HE TOO is hiding stuff from her.*

Quote: Did we meet Geronimo in the beginning of the episode, or is that a code name people are using?

I think it's going to be a "John Galt" scenario..... No person, an ideal...

Quote: I'm still ruminating on why Will is posing such a problem for the Resistance. It looks like Beau (Carl Weathers) isn't in a hurry to solve any crimes but he said that Jennifer is a true believer. Jennifer hasn't made any headway against them?

Here's where I think this is going: *FROM ABOVE: Will wants to save his son. That's priority one. He needs to gain HS's trust quickly, so he's gangbusters getting the job done. BUT.... In the bar's back storeroom he alludes to having a longer range plan. WAG time: I think he might ALREADY be in the resistance, or plans to join them, and that depends on his early acceptance into HS. In fact, if anyone is Geronimo, I am betting it's him. No one knows it, not even the guys directly under him taking orders. He was a Ranger, then a top FBI guy. He has the skills to have started the resistance and could be directing them anonymously. But he doesn't know the low level stuff directly,so he doesn't realize (yet) his wife is involved.

Quote: I liked Beau's story about being there because of his dishwasher.

Just getting along... At some point, he will have a crisis of conscience. Probably have to step up and sacrifice himself for Will. :P

Quote: They're still making beer in San Fran and making whiskey in Kentucky.

We learn LA is cut off it most ways, especially news of the outside. And from the son's GF, that everyone outside the Wall is gone. Her knowledge of getting outside the wall is going to be a HUGE plot point. Love that so far all she sees is to use it for scavenging. Son will see the bigger picture.

LOVED seeing Adam Busch as the school teacher... He's going to figure into this plot I think.

Quote: It was odd to me that Katie was talking to Broussard about Resistance info as he sat at the bar with all of those people around him.

That actually rang true for me. The Purloined Letter strategy. Hide in plain site. If his face is not known, no big deal at all.

Quote: Do the Bowmans trust that creepy teacher???

I loved Erin Way in Alphas. Her role here is unclear. Initially, we're to suspect her as aplant from the Proxy Snyder dude, but I'm betting she is resistance, to keep an eye on Katie.

-----

And... thread. Yeah, 1 and 2, we're still in the 'testing' phase, maybe, but if you have that much to say about #3 of something, start a thread, it's obviously 'earned' being worthy... (does Magicians get one?)

Good to see your estimations of Colony going up from hour to hour instead of down... I still haven't seen 2 or 3 yet, but hope to catch up this weekend. Read a fun stupid letter from somebody to (TV Guide's) Matt Roush, saying they were so confused by the 'disorienting' slow reveals of the pilot, they thought for sure there had to be one before it that they'd missed... I really do think it's better sometimes to be 'thrown in' and get the exposition later. I don't mind when stories don't always start at 'the beginning' (although I am pretty burnt out on the framing device popularized by Alias where we see something late in the story and then go back to '48 hours earlier'... that's really been run into the ground... now, HTGAWM is doing what Revenge did, showing us flashes of stuff we won't get to for hours, and it's getting annoying... didn't bother me on Bloodline, though, so it CAN still work for me...)

KMInfinity
Site Admin

January 30th, 2016, 10:14 pm #2

O dear Dax, I hope you didn't have to copy and paste all that. I thought mods had a magic button to click and move the actual posts.

But thanks.

And yeah, I think Magicians needs a thread already, even if it's just me and Bilki. :P
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Dax
Site Admin

January 30th, 2016, 10:32 pm #3

I did, but it was no big deal...

I don't think there's a click-and-move-to-another button... Or we could, but then they'll be removed from the original thread, and there were some non-Colony thoughts in some of those posts, so I wouldn't wanna do that... I could have made links-to-the-posts-in-the-other-thread, but that would take the same amount of time and not be as pretty...

bilki
Site Admin

January 31st, 2016, 6:04 am #4

wrote: In fact, if anyone is Geronimo, I am betting it's him. No one knows it, not even the guys directly under him taking orders. He was a Ranger, then a top FBI guy. He has the skills to have started the resistance and could be directing them anonymously. But he doesn't know the low level stuff directly,so he doesn't realize (yet) his wife is involved.
Interesting theory! I figure there's going to be a big twist somewhere along the way, and that would qualify.

Krystal
Site Admin

January 31st, 2016, 8:33 pm #5

Dax, for the work you did on that.

I tend to think he must be Geronimo as well. Well we'll see where this goes.

Krystal
Site Admin

January 31st, 2016, 8:36 pm #6

I like Holloway but I don't think you'll be putting in an Emmy Award performances. As far as Sarah Callies goes, she irritated me in prison break and I hated her in the walking dead. She seems less irritating in this series although I would have preferred another female for the lead

KMInfinity
Site Admin

January 31st, 2016, 10:49 pm #7

I like her. But apparently everywhere there are posters saying how hard it is to separate their dislike of her Walking Dead role. Was she that bad? wow.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Krystal
Site Admin

January 31st, 2016, 11:50 pm #8

Glad I'm not the only one.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

February 1st, 2016, 5:39 pm #9

Sarah Callies is not one of my favorites but she is head and shoulder above kim Raver (Audrey Raines in '24'). I am still rooting for Rick & Carl to be eaten by the walkers. :P

Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

Dax
Site Admin

February 4th, 2016, 9:15 pm #10