Krystal
Site Admin

October 25th, 2016, 9:28 pm #21

I had AMC on just for the noise really and they put on Rosemary's Baby. I hadn't seen it for many many years and I guess I forgot how old it was. I sort of was watching it on and off but doing other things but I set and watch the last half an hour. I was in the kitchen so I saw the first half hour pretty much too. I have to say it was amazing how passive and stupid the Mia Farrow character was. It would be hard to believe that a woman would let a man boss her around like that during her pregnancy today.. also of course they were drinking and smoking around her and I think she was drinking as well during the pregnancy. Also taking these herbs from a neighbor who had no medical background and you just drink it because the neighbor tells you to. The whole movie seem so and Anachonistic.

tgir
Site Admin

October 25th, 2016, 9:51 pm #22

I've never watched the whole thing. When it came out, I think it was rated too high for me to see it. I'm pretty sure I read the book. I know everyone was talking about it. What I did see left me with the same impressions: Rosemary was so passive. I disliked Mia Farrow for seeming to be so passive but of course, that was acting. And part of the set up was that everyone in on the conspiracy was just so....compelling and seductive, although it seemed very unlikely to me. And horrific. But I can tell you that when you are pregnant, you are beset by all kinds of offers and advice, usually well meaning but some of it...unwelcome.

Krystal
Site Admin

October 25th, 2016, 11:45 pm #23

Yes my parents took me to horror movies from the time I was 3 or 4 years old so I know I saw that originally in the theater sometime but I don't remember the circumstances. I remember thinking even at the time that the Farrow character was too passive , but of course seeing it today it's much more noticeable. I never liked her or thought she was attractive I thought she was very mousey but of course the roll was written that way.

I am sure pregnant women get all sorts of unwanted advice. The only advice I have ever given to a pregnant woman is to keep their teeth and gums clean :-)