Dax
Site Admin

June 18th, 2012, 1:57 am #11

I agree with him that the Michelle/Fanny relationship is MORE interesting... but don't share his worry, really, that the four girls won't measure up. There's potential there.

I've seen that Chris Eigeman (Lorelai's Digger - I like him) is going to be in one at some point...

Dax
Site Admin

June 19th, 2012, 5:24 am #12

Loved #2.

Scene with Rico the bartender (Gregg Henry - Mitchum Huntzberger on GG - that's three...) was hilarious. Also like Dendrie Taylor (Luann from SOA) as his wife. And Ellen Greene as one of Fanny's eccentric friends...

AS-P's doing a fine job of building a world I'm happy to spend a lot of time in...

KMInfinity
Site Admin

June 19th, 2012, 8:19 pm #13

I loved the bar scene, and everything from the scene when Fanny breaks down and admits to Michelle that her heart was broken to the end. Before that though I thought the tone was too "off" - dark but not 'real' somehow, especially the scenes with the girls and the funeral planning. Some of the death jokes were leaden and the whole gag about no one wanting to say Hubbell actually died was just annoying, not funny to me at all.
iii
iii
iii

Dax
Site Admin

June 20th, 2012, 12:56 am #14

Yeah, some of the girls' stuff was awkward and not-funny-though-it-was-meant-to-be. They don't all have the rhythms down yet (of course, her dialogue isn't super-easy to perform).

But I can't say I was 'annoyed', really... the highs definitely covered up the lows for me.

Risky tone (I'll agree it didn't work consistently). Sad/funny is hard, but AS-P, Foster, and Bishop did it really well...

KMInfinity
Site Admin

June 20th, 2012, 4:06 am #15

I just realized, while skimming Bunheads news and reviews, that Stacey Oristano (Truly) was Billy Riggin's wife on Friday Night Lights. Wow!
iii
iii
iii

Dax
Site Admin

June 20th, 2012, 4:13 am #16

I didn't watch FNL. 'Someday'...

KMInfinity
Site Admin

June 20th, 2012, 5:27 am #17

oooh, Dax! Someday soon!

Anyway, the general comments about Bunheads around the 'net seem mostly positive. The big question seems to be related to the poor acting of the girls, attributed to the following:

*The priority was to cast dancers, not actors.
*ASP's writing was indeed clunky with the 'black comedy' tone falling flat in the girls' scenes
*ASP's dialog--her greatest strength but also her greatest weakness as she expects the actors to rise to her language and doesn't write 'for the actors.' I never realized that Bledel was weak in crying scenes, yet ASP never 'wrote around' that issue. Also, Bledel hired a dialog coach and speech therapist to get her through the pace of the scripts. So these young girls have a steep learning curve - ASP won't cut them slack and 'write down' while they get up to speed, literally.

I think I most agree with those observations.
iii
iii
iii

Dax
Site Admin

June 20th, 2012, 5:34 am #18

Do you want Sepinwall's review on #2? (He was mostly positive, but many of those commenting after are not with him).

The girls will probably get better. Those on GG did, for sure (although Liza Weil was the strongest out of the gate).

Sepinwall was critical of Bledel on MM, but I liked her (and not just 'cuz she was all hot and sexy...).

Bledel is dating Vincent Kartheiser now, apparently. Huh.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

June 20th, 2012, 8:30 pm #19

lolol.... Really, Rory and Pete.

I always liked Bledel as Rory and thought she was a very natural teen. So if she was weak in areas, I never noticed it.

I read a bunch of stuff on #2, so I'm good. Unless there's some particular insight...

ETA... The majority at TWoP are mostly pleased and want to wait until the 'post-Hubbell' set-up is done and the show establishes a groove before condemning or rejecting.
Last edited by KMInfinity on June 20th, 2012, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iii
iii
iii

Dax
Site Admin

June 21st, 2012, 1:37 am #20

Nah, nothing essential (in his #2 review).

I always liked Bledel, too, found her very natural, and just absolutely perfect with Graham. But I do think she improved from the earliest episodes, found the rhythm as it went along... (this isn't harsh criticism - I think most of the Buffy kids got a lot better further in, too).

Aside: Ray Romano is doing a Parenthood arc with Graham. Cool.

Yeah, it's too soon to issue an absolute judgment on Bunheads because we're still in set-up mode - this isn't 'the show' yet, that we're seeing. But... I don't know. I DO feel pretty safe in saying 'I love it' already. Bishop's breakdown... Foster (not everybody could convincingly play 'Lorelai' - but... she's pretty perfect -- never having seen her any of her Broadway work, she's Coco-from-Flight of the Conchords to me), that very funny first scene with Rico at the bar... there's a tremendous comfort in hearing AS-P dialogue again. And hey, nothing wrong with a little ballet...

(The Return of Jezebel James didn't work - though I love Parker Posey AND Lauren Ambrose - it was the studio audience/laugh track thing... wrong venue).