bilki
Site Admin

August 17th, 2013, 4:26 am #11

Good episode. I think I liked the pilot a little better, though. It was more explosive. Now the dust is settling.

My favorite scene was probably when the mother was walking through the grocery store and couldn't help but be aware of the stares and reactions around her. The music make it all the more powerful.

Enjoyed the back-and-forth between Miller and Hardy. Didn't he botch his last big case? And he's there telling her how to do her job. HA! Typical real life bullshit. Was Tennant's hair lighter in this episode? It was bugging me a bit.

Got a chuckle out of the psychic giving Hardy the message about the pendant. Danny was moved up the coast from the murder site, probably in a boat.

Dax
Site Admin

August 17th, 2013, 5:33 am #12

Tennant's hair did seem lighter (not based on memory, but the bits in the recap at the beginning), but I don't know why that would be... our American shows, sure, the pilot is usually shot 4-6 months before #2, but I would doubt that was the case here...

I liked the 'Oh, look, it's Danny's skateboard' moment...

KMInfinity
Site Admin

August 17th, 2013, 4:13 pm #13

I do agree the music overall has been great - atmospheric but not intrusive. The best part of the grocery scene for me was when the townsman came up and, I think, sincerely tried to offer some kind words and she was too overwhelmed (and angry? now that denial has passed) to accept kindness. Been there, and hate that I react like that.

I am pissed to have learned BBCA is/maybe is cutting a few scenes here and there to accommodate American commercial needs. Now I feel obligated to investigate what scenes were cut, but fear spoilers.

>>Enjoyed the back-and-forth between Miller and Hardy. Didn't he botch his last big case?
That's still a mystery. SOMEthing happened, but not sure if he is at fault. The media think so, but his boss seemed kinder about it. I think some killer 'got off' due to a mistake the media attribute to him?
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Dax
Site Admin

August 17th, 2013, 5:16 pm #14

Very annoying if there have been edits for time (then schedule the show for 65-70 minutes then, whatever). I wouldn't think they would do that, though, since it's such an every-scene-matters kind of thing... I did notice a couple unnatural breaks-to-commercial (and one skipped instance where it looks like it WAS a break-to-commercial).

I am happy that I'll only be watching the original cuts, not PBS, of Downton Abbey, when I get around to it...

KMInfinity
Site Admin

August 17th, 2013, 5:27 pm #15

PBS doesn't do it, so Downton is 'pure' I think.... Grrrrr
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Dax
Site Admin

August 17th, 2013, 5:42 pm #16

I always heard Downton was trimmed here, even from a couple can't-wait friends that would see the UK airings streamed somehow, and then watch again a few months later, and bitch about the scenes their American friends were missing... (Edit - Maybe that didn't continue so much in Seasons 2 & 3, but I do think one friend's complaints continued - maybe she was misremembering/making-things-up... the wikipedia entry only discusses the Season 1 'minimal editing' to turn the first series of seven into four 90 minute shows... similar to Top of the Lake's six parts becoming seven here...)

The dvds are always marked 'Original UK Edition', indicating there's something else (but not available on disc, no)...

Last edited by Dax on August 17th, 2013, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blosslover
Site Admin

August 17th, 2013, 7:20 pm #17

Downton was trimmed on PBS also for the first season. I don't understand why Broadchurch on BBC America is trimmed via on demand as the timing for that doesn't matter.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

August 18th, 2013, 1:55 pm #18

Stupid commercials. What was PBS's reason? You would think NONCOMMERCIAL TV wouldn't do that.

bilki
Site Admin

August 18th, 2013, 2:49 pm #19

I read someone saying there were 3 scenes cut from the first episode of Broadchurch. He/she went on to describe the 3 scenes, saying at least one could be important to character development. I thought they said you could watch the episode for free on iTunes. Not sure if that is the case for each episode after they air on BBCA, or not.

bilki
Site Admin

August 29th, 2013, 5:20 am #20

Did anyone understand what the creepy lady whispered in the ear of the lady who runs the local paper when she showed up there late at night? I get lost in the accents at times. And if I have closed captioning, I don't know how to get it to work.

The music here is great. Haunting and emotional, but not manipulative.

The revolving door of suspects does feel so been-there-done-that but I like how this is from the perspective of life in a small town. A place where things like this don't happen, but people are people and secrets are now being pushed to the surface. And I still like how the reporters are exploiting the story for their own good....and how Hardy needs to solve this case for his own redemption.

Loved Hardy's "false intimacy" explanation for why he didn't need to use first names.

A nice move by Beth telling Mark she knows about Becca just as they're walking in to the press conference.