Books

KMInfinity
Site Admin

June 25th, 2009, 4:48 pm #1

Summer Reading Archive Here
Summer_readi.html (127.21 KiB)
Summer_readi.html (127.21 KiB)
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

June 25th, 2009, 4:54 pm #2

Oh thank you KMI! I was meaning to capture this thread! Woo Woo!
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

June 25th, 2009, 4:58 pm #3

Wow, that was easy!

I like how the archive keeps the quotes, the icons, even the banners! Reading through it is easy. And there's a link at the top that takes you to the original threads. (I guess that lasts until the original archived Buzz fails?)

So, to start this off....

Read the latest Sookie Stackhouse novel Dead and Gone. (True Blood) The novels are getting a little tired, imo. The series is deviating from the books in major ways and I don't see how they would ever get to the same point as this recent novel by Harris. Which is fine by me, since this means the show is fresh to me despite having enjoyed the novels.

Finished War Horse this morning, about a cavalry horse living thru WWI (for school). A quick, easy read just right for 6th graders to learn a bit about WWI.

Bought a boxful of books last week for summer reading.

And for those who missed it in the Buffy Catch-All thread, (since I noticed SUCH a focus on Twilight In the recent posts in the archive)>>>>

The article sucks if you're a fan of seasons 5-7 of Buffy, so just watch the vid.

Buffy kicks Edward's *ss

Edward fans have been warned. lol
Last edited by KMInfinity on June 25th, 2009, 5:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Dan

June 26th, 2009, 6:52 pm #4

Right now I am reading David Herbert Donald's biography of Lincoln. It's the last book in my personal study of Lincoln.

I'm also reading The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie and Shakespeare's The Winter's Tale.

amy
Elite Members

June 27th, 2009, 1:37 am #5

I finally read "Twilight" while on vaca. I thought it was a little sophomoric but I kind of got it. I was confused about my daughters love of Alice. She promises that I will understand after reading "New Moon". She also says it is the book that sounds the most 'adult' in writing style. I guess I will give it a whirl. She actually gave me permission to read her copy of 'New Moon' while I had to purchase my own paperback of 'Twilight'. I guess I spoke thoughtfully enough about the book that I am not quote "a creepy teen stalker" unquote. (Yes, I do see the redundancy!)

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

June 27th, 2009, 1:18 pm #6

KMInfinity wrote:Wow, that was easy!

I like how the archive keeps the quotes, the icons, even the banners! Reading through it is easy. And there's a link at the top that takes you to the original threads. (I guess that lasts until the original archived Buzz fails?)
I know the archive feature is wonderful!

Yes, the link at the bottom will be useless if the OLD GLBuzz board goes away so that is why it's important to grab what you want NOW!

~~~

Twilight ~ Love the whole series and like MY daughter I LOVED Alice. Amy you will see why later. I guess I like sophomoric reads. It keeps it simple for my tired brain. ;)

Right now I'm reading The Host by Stephenie Meyers along with the True Blood series. It's tough to go back and forth but I'm managing when I have time.
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

June 27th, 2009, 9:04 pm #7

I'm halfway through The Hunger Games (recced by Maria) and it is awesome. Right up there with Ender's Game as a novel for teens that will cross over for adults and become a classic.

This will make a helluva movie...

Premise

-Post apocalyptic world, hundreds of years after global warming (and disease ?) have caused the *near* collapse of civilization. the rest of the world is out of touch. A shrunken North America is now known as Panem, stretching from the Rockies to Appalachia. The Capitol maintains some vestiges of technology, even some future tech, and brutally control 12 Districts as fiefdoms that are back in pre-industrial medieval times.

-The Reaping takes place year, for 12-18 yr olds (shades of Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery"). A boy and girl (called tribute) from each district is chosen to enter The Hunger Games, televised and promoted to entertain the masses while subtly rubbing the Districts' faces in the fact that they are subjugated and weak. The Games are to the death. (shades of Survivor)

-The first person narrator is sympathetic and pulls you into the story, metaphors for our culture abound, and the action, adventure, and drama are heartwrenching and heartstopping.

HIGHLY reccomended.

Maria
Site Admin

June 29th, 2009, 11:28 pm #8

I'm glad you're enjoying it, KMI. I thought you would!

Part two, called "Catching Fire" comes out on Sept. 1st. Already saw a starred review for it!

Another young adult novel I read last year and loved (I ranked it second) is "Airman" by Eoin Colfer.

amy
Elite Members

June 30th, 2009, 5:04 am #9

OK, In my defense I said that I thought the FIRST book was sophomoric, AND IT WAS! I am now finished with the second and I don't know if she found her voice or what, but this book was much better than the first! I have to say that I had to suspend some disbelief at the turns the story took, but I have to do that with most books and take no notice of it.

I was not suggesting that anyone who read it was lacking in ANY way, whatsoever. I like this series and am now about to go raid her bookshelf for the 3rd in the series. I'll get back later.

I do kind of love Jacob at this point. I think I get her attachment to Edward. I am just waiting to see how the next plays out.

lexilou
Elite Members

June 30th, 2009, 12:23 pm #10

Well, I can see why she'd be attracted to Jacob and I was kind of pulling for him a bit too, but Edward just plain rocks. You have to read to the end of the series, that's all I'm going to say ;)