blosslover
Site Admin

July 8th, 2010, 10:42 pm #91

We have one independent book seller that isn't a used book store here, though they have used books too. The problem is their selection is so small and they are more of a magazine/newsstand/lottery place than a book store now. :( Where I live, we only have one chain bookstore as the rest closed, so I have to go at least 30 minutes away to get to another one.

Target sometimes has books for a decent price...even my local supermarket has the top 5-10 best sellers in paperback on a discount.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

July 9th, 2010, 2:29 am #92

All my favorite independent booksellers are gone. ::sniff:: There were two that featured mostly F & SF and I miss them most. A couple still around near Pitt and Carnegie Mellon.... but....they do the bulk of their business online now and so don't have nearly the same style or customer service for the walk-in. One actually discourages browsing and hanging out; most of the stock is "in the back" warehoused for quick shipment. The owner suggested I request something online as that would be "easier." grrrr
iii
iii
iii

tgir
Site Admin

July 9th, 2010, 2:39 am #93

What will children do if print books disappear? What will poor people do?

blosslover
Site Admin

July 9th, 2010, 2:52 am #94

KM go on-line oh my. That would annoy me a lot.

Kids will be given computers in school so no need for print books. Poor people are SOL?

tgir
Site Admin

July 9th, 2010, 3:31 am #95

Hopefully, kids will be read to long before they start school. And knowing how schools are struggling, I find it inconceivable that students will be provided computers at school, much less to take home.

Yes, the poor will be sol. Especially the poor in developing nations.

Marg
Site Admin

July 9th, 2010, 8:58 pm #96

I think there will always be a need for print books.....don't seem them completely being taken over by the computer.

Unfortunately, the big box stores and the internet have forced the small, independent stores out of business....not just for print material, but for everything. My biggest complaint is that NO ONE gives decent service anymore!! That's why I hate big box stores!!

Having visited a couple of developing nations during this past year, I don't think the idea of having computers in schools for the children to use is even a consideration or possible at this point. In Cambodia, for example, education isn't even a priority for many families. Many are so poor, that the children are needed to beg from the tourists, the government tries to discourage this practice, but doesn't enforce it.

Krystal
Site Admin

July 23rd, 2010, 4:58 am #97

I just started 'Passages", Justin Cronin, was raved on by NY Times and Oprah (like I care), so far so good, very King like.

tgir
Site Admin

July 23rd, 2010, 5:16 am #98

Currently reading:

Olive Kitteridge
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (like it better than #2)
The Happiness Project

Just finished The Hunger Games. Bookstore was out of sequel. 3rd in series is due in Aug. Of course am addicted.

blosslover
Site Admin

August 4th, 2010, 12:10 am #99

Is The Hunger Games a kid series? I saw it in that part of my warehouse club?

In the last month I read The Blind Side, which had a lot of interesting football history (that is if you like football) and read the first book in a trilogy that is called Shiver (by Maggie Stiefvater), this book has werewolves as the theme. As the main character in the book is a girl who was bitten by a pack of werewolves as a child and never made the change, who is star-crossed with one of the wolves. The concept is that in winter they live as wolves, but during the rest of the year they are human. After a certain amount of years, the werewolves no longer spend the spring/summer as human, but stay wolves only. I was surprised by this novel as it is published by Scholastic.

PS was wondering if anyone knows anything about the books talked about in this article from NPR. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =128823435 Some of the novels mentioned are cross genre, which makes it hard to know if they are any good.

Jenni
Site Admin

August 4th, 2010, 3:20 am #100

Just got done reading Earagon after buying the movie for my kids. I loved it. Am now reading book 2.