Krystal
Site Admin

July 7th, 2010, 10:06 pm #81

Our library is crap. They do get stuff like Jeffery Deaver or Baldacci and that is where I borrow those but for the unusual books fa get about it! I tend to buy at Amazon, they have good deals and free shipping on most buys.

Re Tatoo, big agree about Lisbeth. she is the best new character I can recall forever.

I just bought Passages, which is supposed to be a vampire thing, and "The Man Who Loved Children", an old book about a dysfunctional family which got raves from NY Times. I don't like vampire books with rmance usually or fantasy either. Sci Fi, used to love the Anne Rice early vampire books, and the Necrommancer books by Brian Lumely who I strongly suggest to vampire lovers.

Jenni
Site Admin

July 8th, 2010, 12:15 am #82

I order from the library. Haven't bought any books since Deathly Hallows came out. I read books over and over and over again. I have found good deals on amazon.com too. Ebay might be a good place to look at too.

amy
Elite Members

July 8th, 2010, 12:54 am #83

We are usually at Barnes & Noble a few times a month. Darling Princess will reread books she likes more times than I can count. I usually buy my fave authors in hard cover there too, I will generally read more than once. It can get spendy but with the membership, we save a good bit over the year and we love our books!

tgir
Site Admin

July 8th, 2010, 1:40 am #84

Actually, I buy a lot of books, many from the local independent book seller. That's important to me for a number of reasons:

1. We always, always, always bought books. No matter how poor: every pay day was a trip to the book store, even if it was just for a soft cover children's book for one of the kids and maybe something from the discount bin. Those days it was a university bookstore, for the most part. I love to read and don't give myself nearly enough time to do it.

2. I like the bookstore owner, on a personal level. I appreciate how much he does for our community, a small city at a minimum of 30 miles away from the next largest city with a a larger (chain) bookstore. Chris works hard in our community, organizing, producing and promoting a variety of literacy and cultural programs aimed at people of all ages, from toddlers to seniors. He's a young man and is working very hard at something he loves in order to help provide for his family. I admire the grace and determination he exhibits. AND--he's great at his job. He and his staff always have terrific picks/recommendations. He's never steered me wrong and is almost always able to get whatever I want, and in those rare cases when he cannot, he steers me towards someone who can.

3. I also deeply appreciate the principles of an independent book seller vs the generic big retail chains which have so much, but have so much less personality, so much less in terms of personal service. Big chains don't just sell books, they also help to determine what gets published, what gets put out on book shelves. I am uncomfortable with just one or two major chains of bookstores with remote corporate headquarters having so much power over such an important part of my life, of all our lives: what is published and what is available to the public.

4. Unfortunately, I am not able to get to my local library very often. I work every Sat. and am off Mon-Tues. The library is closed on Mondays (as are a lot of things around here) so I often have a lot to cram into my Tuesdays. I love my library, but until I can retire, it's not going to be something I can indulge in very often, sadly enough.

Krystal
Site Admin

July 8th, 2010, 5:04 am #85

I would support a local bookstore but I don't think there is one in the entire Phoenix metro area. I used to like to go to the little clothes and jewelry shops that were individually owned but they are all closed. The only one who has stayed in business is a bead/jewelry shop run by a friend of mine. She also carries some of my ceramic work in her gallery. Check it out if you are curiousl
www.scottsdalebead.com

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

July 8th, 2010, 10:50 am #86

The only 'local' booksellers we have are the used books. I use to get all my books that way and from Barnes & Nobel or Sam's when they were on sale, etc. As I've mentioned before I now have a Kindle and get them through Amazon. They are wicked cheap that way and my Kindle has already paid for itself. ;)
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

tgir
Site Admin

July 8th, 2010, 11:20 am #87

Hah! Gate, you will NEVER convert me to Kindle, no matter how quickly it pays for itself.

I know that independent booksellers (independent anything, really) are hard to find and disappearing, fast. That's another reason I feel so passionate about them. I know how lucky we are to have what we do and I want to keep it around as long as I can....Am a bit worried: we have as many tatoo parlors as we do bookstores in this town, which is an improved ratio from before Chris opened his store. Keep in mind this is a college town, with two universities and a tech school. Off campus, only two bookstores, one of them not a 'real' bookstore, selling only best sellers. Am not sure if the used paperback one is still around. It moved to another part of town, off my beaten path, a few years ago and I've lost track.....

lexilou
Elite Members

July 8th, 2010, 11:37 am #88

I think we have 2 used book stores here, but I haven't been to either. Was wondering how good the selection was there. Perhaps I will check them out. Other than that, I don't think we have any independent booksellers, just B&N and Borders.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

July 8th, 2010, 3:35 pm #89

My one area of true obsessive compulsive behavior is book buying. I have 2800+ hardbacks. I spend way too much money on books.

Part of the reason is that, in order to alleviate my resentment of DH's smoking, I've allowed myself a budget of $100 a month for books. Of course, that means our savings are pretty slim. :O
iii
iii
iii

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

July 8th, 2010, 7:09 pm #90

Last edited by Gatekeeper on July 8th, 2010, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.