blosslover
Site Admin

July 7th, 2010, 12:58 am #71

I read Eat Pray Love awhile back, I can't remember how long it has been except more than a year. I already passed the novel along to my sister who read it too.

tgir
Site Admin

July 7th, 2010, 1:24 am #72

Grabbed The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest today....Can't believe how addicted I've become. These books are so not my usual thing.

Jenni
Site Admin

July 7th, 2010, 1:55 am #73

Trying to read Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (per someone on here) but am having a hard time getting into it. Could possibly be because I'm in my last semester (for now) at school and am a little preoccupied. I did just get the new Jim Butcher book though. I'm saving it for the weekend because I know I'll go through it quick.

Krystal
Site Admin

July 7th, 2010, 4:52 am #74

Sometime it is hard with all the Swedish names, and the first one with all the Vangers, but believe me you'll get into it and be unable to put it down.

tgir
Site Admin

July 7th, 2010, 5:08 am #75

I did find it slow to get into The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, just a bit. It really picked up when story focused on Lisbeth more. Oddly enough, the Swedish names weren't much of a problem. But I never would have made it through if it had been all Russian names! I did keep turning to the family tree for all the Vangers. That made it easier to sort out. And reminded myself that a man was writing it so that the writer character was...as my daughter put it: a bit like James Bond, only a writer. So, not so believable as a character. It is Lisbeth who carries the book, even when she's not on the pages....

Without giving anything away, I did want to say that I am immensely sorry that Stieg's life was cut so short: I would have very much liked to have learned more about Lisbeth's family.

Re: Jim Butcher's books: I got my son and one of his friends addicted to them. I haven't kept up: I'll have to borrow some from him----when he was overseas, I built the whole collection up to that point for him in paperback. It took him a bit to believe me when I said they were really good--I hadn't realized he was actually reading them until he told me he and his friend were on a run to the next town with a bigger book store to find the latest installment.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

July 7th, 2010, 2:01 pm #76

Love love LOVE Butcher.

And for those who've only read the urban fantasy with Harry Dresden, his traditional Alera sword and sorcery series was superb. Better than anything in the last 10 yrs, including Martin's Thrones series. (imo)

(I'm thinking of getting all the audio versions now as James Marsters' *performance* has been praised to the skies.)
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

blosslover
Site Admin

July 7th, 2010, 5:13 pm #77

I gave up on Harry Dresden when it felt like it was turning into yet another vampire series. I know that sounds ridiculous coming from me, but that's how I felt. I have some of the novels still unread in my stockpile. I do have two or three of the Alera books, that I own and have yet to touch.

Jenni
Site Admin

July 7th, 2010, 8:24 pm #78

I LOVE the Codex Alera books and hate that there won't be any more. I may start to read them over again, would love to buy those ones. They are PHENOMENAL!!!!

lexilou
Elite Members

July 7th, 2010, 8:53 pm #79

Where do you guys get all your books? I've been getting from the library, but have recently signed up for Borders rewards program. I'm hesitant to buy books since I hardly read any twice, but hate waiting for the ones at the library.

blosslover
Site Admin

July 7th, 2010, 9:38 pm #80

I tend to wait until they get cheaper...so some novels I read two or three years behind on hard cover, after the paperback has come out already. There are also discount book chains, like books a million and such that are good. Plus where I am they sell books at the closeout store. Getting a book for $2.99 is great. I read some books more than once, but where I live the libraries aren't great at all. The closest one to me is open less than 10 hours a week. The bigger ones tend not to have the novels I want to read.