tgir
Site Admin

June 23rd, 2010, 12:33 am #51

re: Winter's Bone: just picked it um Monday, so I'm just starting it now.

So far, the voice is interesting. And interesting/sad/weird to me is that, from what I've read, the author and apparently most of the rest of the world is completely clueless as to how rural people with little cash actually find food. I grew up eating squirrels, rabbits and morels from the woods; later pheasant and quail when my dad and uncle started hunting birds instead of squirrels and rabbits. Over hunting/lack of environment had reduced deer populations to negligible when I was a kid but they've sure rebounded since. I thought of quail, rabbit and morels as poor people food. Little did I know. Not that we were really poor--as far as I knew, a roof over our head and food on the table was never in question. We girls worked awfully hard to be able to have 5 different outfits to wear to school so we didn't have to wear the same thing twice in one week. Getting to wear jeans to school was a god send: you could wear them more than once without looking like you didn't have any clothes.

Krystal
Site Admin

June 23rd, 2010, 5:19 am #52

I hate sport hunting but when I was growing up in PA people hunted deer and venison was their main source of meat. I never knew anyone who ate little varmints but then West Virginia was right down the road.

Jenni
Site Admin

June 23rd, 2010, 6:10 pm #53

I've never wanted a Kindle or anything like it until I was at Barnes & Noble and saw their new Nook, same as the Kindle. After playing with I've decided that as soon as I am done with school (July 26th!!!!!) and have a job I'm going to get one of the two, just don't know which one yet. The big plus about the Nook is it has replaceable batteries and you can go to any Barnes and Noble and read free excerpts while you're there. Here's a link to a comparison. I know it's from B&N however it does list the amenities that the Kindle has over the Nook.

Comparison of Nook and Kindle

lexilou
Elite Members

June 24th, 2010, 3:35 am #54

I saw that at B&N the other day too and was really tempted. Still hung up on the library though.

blosslover
Site Admin

June 24th, 2010, 11:18 pm #55

I have too many books I have already purchased that I have yet to read. I wouldn't feel right in buying an ereader for that reason. A lot of the free novels on the web, you can read using just a regular computer. I used to do that on occasion before the Kindle even existed.

lexilou
Elite Members

June 25th, 2010, 1:40 am #56

It's just so cool, that's really the only reason I want it. :P

KMInfinity
Site Admin

June 25th, 2010, 1:41 am #57

Yeah if it's free on Kindle or whatever, it's in the public domain and will be free elsewhere.

For example:

http://free-online-novels.com/
Last edited by KMInfinity on June 25th, 2010, 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
iii
iii
iii

lexilou
Elite Members

June 25th, 2010, 12:06 pm #58

So if you have one of these e-readers, you can just go to the website and read them? These e-readers are like a laptop, sorta, where they connect to the internet through a wireless connection? (Kinda new to the wireless stuff).

Krystal
Site Admin

June 25th, 2010, 10:04 pm #59

I have no urge to get a reader, I like the feel of a book. I probably would not get one if they were free.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

June 26th, 2010, 1:37 pm #60

Krystal wrote:I have no urge to get a reader, I like the feel of a book. I probably would not get one if they were free.
Me too.

Just finished the fun vamp book, still reading Nomad. This is one of those books that's calling into question things I thought i had settled in my mind. Sigh.....

*Fun* read now is Elizabeth George's Careless in Red. I've been disappointed in her lately. Not really her fault she wants to break out of the mystery genre pattern, but when I want a comfy/expected story I have a hard time switching gears to something different. Careless seems more traditional....Has anyone seen her books on PBS? (Called the Inspector Lynley Mysteries, I believe.) I saw one and thought it sucked badly and Barbara Havers was absolutely botched so I never watched another.
iii
iii
iii