Krystal
Site Admin

August 13th, 2016, 5:02 am #491

Omg, Bladerunner.

Dax
Site Admin

August 14th, 2016, 12:00 am #492

Sequel coming, with Ford (after he did one more Star Wars, and before he does one more Indiana Jones...).

Krystal
Site Admin

August 14th, 2016, 4:58 am #493

New one with Ford?

Dax
Site Admin

August 14th, 2016, 5:36 am #494

Yes. Set for a 10/6/17 release... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Untitle ... ner_sequel

They started shooting it last month.
Last edited by Dax on August 14th, 2016, 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

bilki
Site Admin

August 22nd, 2016, 12:41 am #495

Ubik was a fun trip but I really enjoyed Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. It's funny that Androids is about 50 pages shorter but I felt like I got to know that main characters a little better.

They had the director's cut of Blade Runner at the library, so I grabbed that. I'll have to watch it by Wednesday.

Any recommendations on authors who have a similar style to Philip K Dick?

KMInfinity
Site Admin

August 22nd, 2016, 2:08 am #496

Dick is pretty unique. Even looking over the "new wave" SF writers (from the 60s) he stands out and is on an extreme edge.

My picks would be Samuel Delaney for novels, especially The Fall of the Towers trilogy and Dahlgren.

Harlan Ellison is also awesome but mostly wrote short stories and novellas rather than novels.

He's a very interesting guy. He was was once called the most ornery man alive, and he is abrasive and argumentative and quick tempered, ready to sue if he feels his work has been stolen or mistreated. He forced James Cameron to add a credit for him to Terminator, which Ellison claimed ripped off his script for a short story adapted by Outer Limits. He also wrote the Star Trek episode City on the Edge of Forever, which won a Writers Guild award and a Hugo. He marched at Selma in '65 and edited the most seminal science fiction series of short stories that "blew up" the genre - Dangerous Visions. he was a Yippie leader, and there's a series of videos of him speaking in the 60s.

Lots of his work has become films or TV shows, but he's such a weirdo (who I dearly love) that he often uses the pseudonym Cordwainer Bird if he thinks the film version screwed up his writer's vision. His short novel A Boy and His Dog is terrific, and the movie was I think Don Johnson's first major role.

You might like this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZvcKB9vQO0 There's a ton of videos of his appearances on talk shows, and radio interviews. He's a very fast talking, articulate, interesting speaker.

John Brunner, Kurt Vonnegut, Alfred Best come to mind as somewhat similar...

There are quite a few writers who you can tell tried to "do" a PKD style novel, sometimes with great success, sometimes not - but almost never as a career.
iii
iii
iii

bilki
Site Admin

August 22nd, 2016, 3:09 am #497

Oh cool! Thanks for all of that, KMI! I keep putting off reading Vonnegut but just after I finished Android he popped into my head again. I'll have to see what they have at the library.

Planning on reading The Man in High Castle before I take this book back, though I feel like I need to give myself a history lesson before I start it.

Speaking of the Hugo Award, a book titled The Fifth Season won for this year's best novel. I looked it up on Goodreads and it sounds interesting.

tgir
Site Admin

August 23rd, 2016, 2:05 pm #498

Something completely different: Heather Havrilesky, How to Be a Person in the World: Ask Polly's Guide Through the Paradoxes of Modern Life. Smart, funny, true.

I admit to being a big fan of advice columns. This is definitely the column/book I need now.

bilki
Site Admin

August 25th, 2016, 5:22 am #499

After reading so many positive reviews of The Fifth Season, I headed over to my local B&N and bought it. I could have saved about $6 (and a couple trees) if I'd gotten it on iBooks but there's just something about having an actual book in my hands. :D
Last edited by bilki on August 25th, 2016, 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Krystal
Site Admin

September 8th, 2016, 10:06 pm #500

I just finished the mountains of Madness, an old Lovecraft book. I had read it many many years ago and wasn't sure I would still love it but I did. I think many of today's books were copied from that plot. He had a very disturbing way of writing which was very effective. The book I bought is a compilation of short stories although that one was quite long. I'm looking forward to reading the others