KMInfinity
Site Admin

August 6th, 2016, 2:09 am #481

I was just cleaning my bookshelves and was thinking I hadn't read a dog book this year. (No Spencer Quinn :-( ). So thanks for the recommendation!

I'm enjoying the traditional Scotland Yard Brit series featuring Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James by Deborah Crombie. Great character studies, old school mysteries. P.D. James-ish.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

August 6th, 2016, 12:10 pm #482

I have been reading a ton of Post Apocalyptic Thriller/Dystopian Thriller books but that is nothing new. Lots of good stuff by independent authors. I'm always thrilled when there is a new twist to the post apocalyptic thrillers that I would have never thought of.

I'm considering going back into the world of Anne Rice and re-reading all the Vampire books. She has a new one out so I kind of want to 'refresh' myself since it has been over a decade I've read Anne Rice.

Right now I'm reading End of Watch: A Novel (The Bill Hodges Trilogy) by Stephen King. My husband LOVED this series. I thought it was great even though it wasn't your typical 'Stepehn King' series.

As I keep saying ... So many books so little time.

I know most of you are anti e-readers but for those of you who aren't this is a great website if you don't already know about it ~ https://www.bookbub.com/home/

You sign up and pick out the categories you are interested in and they send you a daily email with either 'free' or 'reduced' price ebooks. I've probably download a 100 books for hubby and I. :)
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

August 6th, 2016, 1:17 pm #483

Gate I was thinking of the new Lestat boook too for Christmas. Are you following Ann Rice on FB?

I love apocalyptic fiction - old school especially. Off the top of my head on my shelves - Earth Abides; Alas, Babylon; The Postman (A pretty bad movie though); The Death of Grass; Farnham's Freehold... All 50's and 60's. Except Brin's Postman?

I don't think I'd call them thrillers though, so I don't know if they are what you'd like. Read any?

“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Krystal
Site Admin

August 6th, 2016, 6:20 pm #484

I read the last Stephen King book which was the last of the mr. Mercedes series. It was just so so but at least I got right back into the characters and that made it somewhat enjoyable. Not so much Joe Hills Fireman book. It was boring and altogether sucked. One I did like but may not be for everybody was called The Butterfly Garden and it is about young women being kept in captivity in a private Garden by a very wealthy man. I won't give away anymore but obviously there is some sexual abuse here but it's not terribly well described and sort of happens behind the scenes. I found the book to be a page-turner though because one woman is testifying to the FBI so you know she gets away and you really don't know how she gets away until the end of the book.

bilki
Site Admin

August 6th, 2016, 7:34 pm #485

I'm reading Only Forward by Michael Marshall Smith. It's his first novel and won the Philip K. Dick award when it was released in the US back in 2000. It's quirky and playful.

Also reading The Writer's Journey, which is an exploration of "The Hero's Journey" that Joseph Campbell wrote and spoke about. I've learned a thing or two about how my own mind works, lol.

I've captured Book 5 of The Expanse series from the library but I doubt I'll be able to finish it before it's due back, so I may not even try to start it.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

August 6th, 2016, 9:11 pm #486

A friend recommended MM Smith to me before. I'll have to add him to my massive Amazon cart. :D

bilki
Site Admin

August 12th, 2016, 2:20 am #487

So I'm reading this Michael Marshall Smith book and it takes a turn in tone about one-third of the way through. Then I start wondering about what the Philip K Dick award is all about, so I look up Philip K Dick. I see one of Dick's novels made a Time Top 100 list, and now I'm reading Ubik. I don't know what it is about psychic phenomenon but it casts quite a spell over me.
Last edited by bilki on August 12th, 2016, 2:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

August 12th, 2016, 2:44 am #488

Dick is awesome. You know his novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? made into Blade Runner. Amazon currently has an adaptation of The Man in the High Castle. I actually like his short stories better than his novels (mostly) which is unusual for me. Some of the stories are also movies.
Last edited by KMInfinity on August 12th, 2016, 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

bilki
Site Admin

August 12th, 2016, 4:59 am #489

The book I got from the library has 4 of Dick's novels in it. Androids and High Castle are both in there. I think I'll read Androids after I finish Ubik, partly because the title makes me chuckle. I may have seen bits and pieces of Blade Runner but I'm pretty sure I haven't seen the entire film.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

August 12th, 2016, 6:01 am #490

You must must MUST see Bladerunner.

Read the novel first though. They're usually shorter...not of those massive GOT tomes.