blosslover
Site Admin

July 10th, 2009, 5:09 pm #31

I got an e-mail earlier this week from Borders for a 25% coupon off the entire book purchase on-line or in store. Wonder if I am the only one...

BL (who is currently reading a book called Burnt Shadows, which starts in Japan right before the 2nd nuclear bomb attack and then moves to India right before the English had to give back sovereignty.)

Maria
Site Admin

July 12th, 2009, 11:39 pm #32

KMI, you and I seem to like some similar stuff. Love The Penderwicks and the sequel.

Right now I'm actually reading an adult novel! Nefertiti by Michelle Moran. I love that time period from Ancient Egypt, so it's fascinating!

KMInfinity
Site Admin

July 13th, 2009, 1:21 am #33

Maria wrote:KMI, you and I seem to like some similar stuff. Love The Penderwicks and the sequel.
I remember you recced them last year and I bought the first and didn't get to it until this summer.

I would so love to be able to read daily. I feel my healthiest (mentally, emotionally) when I read 2-3 books a week. Stupid realities of life. :P
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

tgir
Site Admin

July 17th, 2009, 2:05 am #34

Behind the curve as usual: Just finished Dead Until Dark in 2 nights (I had to go to work so couldn't finish in one night--late start.)

I think I'm going to have to read the rest.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

July 17th, 2009, 2:23 am #35

tgir wrote:Behind the curve as usual: Just finished Dead Until Dark in 2 nights (I had to go to work so couldn't finish in one night--late start.)

I think I'm going to have to read the rest.

lol.....Don't you love that feeling when you find a series or author and you know there's a whole canon of theirs to read in the future...
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Jenni
Site Admin

July 28th, 2009, 11:43 pm #36

Maria wrote:KMI, you and I seem to like some similar stuff. Love The Penderwicks and the sequel.

Right now I'm actually reading an adult novel! Nefertiti by Michelle Moran. I love that time period from Ancient Egypt, so it's fascinating!
I love ancient so I checked Nefertiti out and finished it this weekend. It was so good! I'm trying to cram my reading in because I know once school starts I'll be done for awhile. I have the Penderwicks, just need to start it.

Maria
Site Admin

July 29th, 2009, 2:32 am #37

I too enjoyed Nefertiti. I want to read the sequel (The Heretic Queen), about Nefertiti's niece, Nefertari. But I have a few other books in the queue before that!

Another cool fantasy series for young kids (and this DOES skew a little younger...4-6th grades, maybe?) is Angie Sage's Septimus Heap series. I've read the first three and took out the fourth today. The fifth is coming out in October.

Jenni
Site Admin

July 29th, 2009, 2:40 am #38

My 10 yr old is reading the Percy Jackson books right now (The Lightening Thief and those). I'll check out those other ones for her though. Is the Heretic Queen by the same author? I love books like those! Thanks for the recommendations!

edited to add:
Duh I guess if I wouldn't be so tired I would have read that it was a sequel.
Last edited by Jenni on July 29th, 2009, 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User
Deleted User

July 29th, 2009, 10:24 pm #39

I just wanted to thank you all for recommending the Sookie books. I just finished the first one and I'm starting the second. Was really surprised at the people who weren't even mentioned in the first book but were main characters on the show. Looking forward to reading and seeing the differences in Book two and the show now. :clap:

KMInfinity
Site Admin

July 30th, 2009, 1:50 pm #40

At this point, except for two plot points in S2, nothing really is the same in True Blood as what's in the Sookie books. Well, okay, maybe some characters, some relationships. I could in fact, make a much longer list of the differences than the similarities.

There is only one thing, so far, that really disappoints me concerning how the show is different. And I can't say it, in case it gets brought in later.

But I'm loving the differences. (Except...as things deviate, I could see the show becoming so different it won't have any point of reference. That could also be a bad thing, depending on Ball's direction.)