Krystal
Site Admin

January 19th, 2013, 7:03 pm #281

OK Gate, this book would make for a great discussion. I am half way through and hate both of them. I would call it more a "woman's book" or a relationship book, not the murder mystery I thought I was getting. So knowing that I would never have bought it, and for the life of me I am totally confused as to how this would ever be a best seller. But I admit there are a lot of interesting talking points about both characters and male and female expectations as well.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

January 19th, 2013, 7:45 pm #282

LOL Krystal. Are you more than 1/2 way through or exactly 1/2 way through with the book. It does matter. ;)
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

Krystal
Site Admin

January 19th, 2013, 8:22 pm #283

I am at 62%. I don't want to say too much here as I don't want to spoil it for other folks but I sort of figured this is what happened with Amy from pretty early on.

I have to say though, like watching a train wreck, I have to keep reading cause I am not sure how it will end except I hope these awful people will not procreate.

God, if I had a spouse that made me read little shit poems and leave clues to some treasure hunt, someone would be gone as well.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

January 19th, 2013, 8:43 pm #284

Krystal wrote:I would call it more a "woman's book" or a relationship book, not the murder mystery I thought I was getting.
I never thought of it as a "woman's book" or a relationship book but more of a 'twisted' mystery. I just love psychopaths and I think this book fills that quest!

Krystal
Site Admin

January 19th, 2013, 9:27 pm #285

Well, they are disturbed for sure. Psychopaths, I will tell you when I finish it!

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

January 22nd, 2013, 11:56 pm #286

Just read Gillian Flynn's other 2 books 'Dark Places' & 'Sharp Objects'. Both very good but I still like 'Gone Girl' the most. Gillian either has a great imagination or some serious personal problems. I'm hoping it's the great imagination.

Now I'm reading The Forgotten by David Baldacci. When I finish that I'm going back to Techno-Thrillers.

I'm NOT going to read the O'Reilly book 'Killing Kennedy' for my book club. I just have to decide do I tell them 1) the truth I refuse to read O'Reilly or 2) come up with another BS excuse.

Dax
Site Admin

January 23rd, 2013, 12:04 am #287

Say that his hate rhetoric makes you uncomfortable, and you'd rather not (by reading his book) encourage him to continue his side-career.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

January 23rd, 2013, 12:30 am #288

I just read a terrific book. I thought it would be a little too sappy and sentimental, but instead I loved it.

A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron

http://www.amazon.com/Dogs-Purpose-W-Br ... 7s+purpose

Made me laugh out loud a bunch of times, and cry more than a couple times.

The premise is that this dog keeps being reincarnated to discover his purpose. He DOES remember his past lives (which is a big issue for me regarding reincarnation) and...

The writer is terrific at capturing a dog's perspective, and since it's written in 1st person dog POV that's a good thing. The big metaphor, of course, is that we are like the dog, and even though much of life seems incomprehensible, there really is meaning that we can't always see.

I liked it better than Marley and Me, and am tempted to place it on the same rung as Lassie Come Home (tho for different reasons).

Highly HIGHLY recommended, especially for all dog lovers.
iii
iii
iii

Krystal
Site Admin

January 23rd, 2013, 12:56 am #289

I have 10% to go with GG and I really have to say I hate this woman most than most ax murderers in the crime novels I have read. I am curious enough to finish it though.

Gate, How is the Baldacci book? I liked his first one but the rest have been so so.

Let me know if you find another Reborn....

Dax
Site Admin

January 23rd, 2013, 2:48 am #290

Movie-wise, Dark Places has Amy Adams attached, and David Fincher is thinking about coming on board Gone Girl... http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/david-f ... /#comments