KMInfinity
Site Admin

January 25th, 2012, 12:29 am #231

I do agree the one weakness is the third book is rushed a bit, and some problems with plotting. But overall still excellent.

Currently re-reading The Chronicles of Amber, one kick-ass fantasy series. Now THAT would make a great movie series. If I get a spare minute I may re-read the cheesy pulpy Edgar Rice Burroughs Mars series, what with the movie coming out. Can't wait to see the pin-up version of Dejah Thoris, the cool green martian monster warriors, and Tarzan John Carter...
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

shelle_cr
Site Admin

January 27th, 2012, 9:16 pm #232

KMI, agreed, the ending felt like Twillight or Harry Potter in a way that to me it wa sliek the author as sitting there by the laptop, typing manically just to get over with it. But overall? A really good saga.

I'm reading the Game of Thrones again, well, i havne't finished the fisrt book yet, so I got back to it. Fighting hubby for the Kindle :) He says we must buy anothe rone for the flight to NY as he doesn't know how to decide whose turn it will be on the plane :)

The Princess and the Sailor - board dedicated to Carly & Bo from Days of our lives

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

February 2nd, 2012, 8:02 pm #233

Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

March 14th, 2012, 12:28 am #234

My TWoP post-Game of Thrones book club reading list... The club started in June of 2011 and sort of petered out by Christmas, but we read a lot of books on a two week schedule.

They are all good fantasy (or science fiction) books, with the majority truly outstanding. I'll highlight the ones I read for the first time this past year that I especially recommend, though many are 'oldie but goodies.'

The Privilege of the Sword - by Ellen Kushner
Dragonflight - by Anne McCaffrey
Good Omens - by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman
Sunshine - by Robin McKinley
Furies of Calderon - by Jim Butcher
The Sparrow - by Mary Doria Russell (SF)
Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter - by Seth Grahame-Smith
The Warrior's Apprentice (found in the compilation Young Miles) - by Lois McMaster Bujold
Hyperion - by Dan Simmons
Assassin's Apprentice - by Robin Hobb
The Princess Bride - by William Goldman
Street Magic - by Caitlin Kittredge
The Sacrifice: The First Book of the Fey - by Kristine Kathryn Rusch TRULY outstanding. So good I bought the series, including the rare 4th book selling for tons of money on rare book sites. (I bought a 'worn paperback reading copy for $28)
The Adamantine Palace - by Stephen Deas (skipped this one...could be good?)
Nine Princes in Amber (found in the collection The Great Book of Amber) - by Roger Zelazny
Litany of the Long Sun - by Gene Wolfe
The Dragonbone Chair - by Tad Williams
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Dax
Site Admin

March 14th, 2012, 12:33 am #235

I've only read one of those (Good Omens).

How many books are there in the Rusch series, and why is the fourth so rare? Are the first three (or any thereafter) readily available, and that ONE is somehow out of print, or...?

KMInfinity
Site Admin

March 14th, 2012, 2:09 am #236

One ONE????

Well let me list the ones that are essential reading:

Sunshine - by Robin McKinley. Best vampire book ever. Nearly nearly a better vamp than Spike, because he's truly Otherworld.

Furies of Calderon - by Jim Butcher. Just awesome....many in the TWoP club agreed it's better than GoT, and the series as a whole ENDS, and ends well. (Granted after six books)

The Warrior's Apprentice (found in the compilation Young Miles) - by Lois McMaster Bujold My pick... There's spec that GRRM stole the character of Miles for Tyrion. Must read for GoT fans. This is the first book, and is excellent, but books 2 and 3, and some later in the series are even better. The series has Hugo and Nebula winners.

The Princess Bride - by William Goldman 'nuff said.

Nine Princes in Amber (currently found in the collection The Great Book of Amber) - by Roger Zelazny. My second pick for the club. Revolutionary concepts and storytelling, all in 180 pages. The five book series is all of 800 pages. Another one that was debated as "better than GoT" by some. (Not for character development or plotting, but for sheer originality, weirdness, grand sword and sorcery FUN, and a combo of post-new wave meets old school style)

What all of the books have in common is superior, creative world building that puts you in a fully realize universe...

Re: The Fey

I'm not sure at all why Book 4 is so rare. I do know there's massive changes in the publishing industry and Rusch has been at the forefront of alt publishing so that may be a factor.

eta...There are five books. They ARE out of print, but reading copies, INCLUDING shipping from used bookstores, is usually under $10. I got the first book for $2.00 + 3.99 shipping.
Last edited by KMInfinity on March 14th, 2012, 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blosslover
Site Admin

March 14th, 2012, 3:01 am #237

The Princess Bride is one of my favorite books. I don't read as much fantasy as a lot of people, so having names is helpful. Then again a good lot of the fantasy I do read is the YA stuff, as I can usually get it on discount.

The last book I finished was a nonfiction called The Sinner's Grand Tour about a historian who takes his family on vacation to Europe. The places he goes are the things you don't learn about in high school, like he writes about the sexual activities that went on with the group that Mary Shelly was with during the summer that Frankenstein was written or how there are bawdy paintings in Vatican City, things like that.

Jenni
Site Admin

August 5th, 2012, 11:55 pm #238

From a recommendation by Maria I believe, I have just finished Divergent. I had to wait for months to get in on my Kindle from the library. Now I'm going to just buy the next one, Insurgent. Very good book!!

tx_kittybelle

September 18th, 2012, 6:16 pm #239

i just finished reading the trilogy fifty shades of grey. these books were great. once i started reading, i couldnt put them down. i read all three books in a week. lol.

Krystal
Site Admin

September 20th, 2012, 1:23 am #240

Anyone read lee Child's Jack Reacher books? They are great action, Reacher is a 6'5" ex military cop who wanders around getting caught up in saving various people from various assholes. He more or less beats the shit out of a lot of bad guys. They are not great literature but kind of like Die Hard on paper or something. Hsb and I like them a lot. Anyhow, you have in your mind a man who looks like Jim Caziviel (sp?) of POI or the Bohanan hunk from Hell on Wheels. So who do they cast? Tom Cruise. The shrimp who is not the least bit to me sexy or attractive (and never was even before I knew what a nutbag he is). Now to leap a step further, this months Vanity Fair has a great article on Katie and Scientology. Sick sick sick.

How's that for covering 3 topics in one post?