blosslover
Site Admin

July 3rd, 2009, 1:28 am #21

I recently finished a book that was totally different than the kind we are discussing right now. It was called Peony in Love, by Lisa See about China and ghosts in the 1600s.

amy
Elite Members

July 3rd, 2009, 4:02 am #22

blosslover wrote:I recently finished a book that was totally different than the kind we are discussing right now. It was called Peony in Love, by Lisa See about China and ghosts in the 1600s.
That sounds very interesting! I like all kinds of book, except maybe sci-fi.

I am now reading book 4 of the Twilight series! I have been unable to put them down since about half way through book two! She definitely got better. The first was a bit too much. I am wondering about her editor though. I have found several typo's while reading the last two books. Spell check does not catch everything!

tgir
Site Admin

July 3rd, 2009, 4:33 am #23

I have Peony in Love but haven't started it yet. I've renewed my addiction to books. It's quite a problem: I need to quit my job so I can catch up on my reading but if I quit my job, I don't know how I'd afford my books!

Recently read: Mudbound (Hilary Jordan), The Help (Kathryn Sockett), Laura Rider's Masterpiece (Jane Hamilton) and A Reliable Wife (Robert Goolrick). I liked the last 3 more than the first of this set. The one by Jane Hamilton is probably the best, as it should be. But then, I tend to really like her books. These are what I've read in the last month. What can I say: I find most of tv to be very disappointing.

The Elegance of the Hedgehog is also terrific: Last Christmas, my husband and I separately chose and purchased this book for our daughter. I admit I chose it because I thought she'd like it and I thought I could borrow it. I ended up keeping the copy I bought and we both loved it.

I always read....everything. The last few years, less so. First, I was finishing my degree and it seems that while I read a lot, it was almost all science stuff--interesting but not using the same muscles as literature. Then, since I started my job and long commute, I've just had so much going on that I allowed my reading to fall aside. And I missed it so much that now I am re-dedicating myself to my obsession. If I ever go back to school again, I will be an English major and/or an art major. And I need to brush up on my French, learn Italian and Latin and Greek....Don't even get me started on the biology stuff I want to get at. So much to learn, damn job keeps getting in the way. That and sleep!
Last edited by tgir on July 3rd, 2009, 4:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jenni
Site Admin

July 3rd, 2009, 1:08 pm #24

tgir, I started getting books on cd to listen to on my drive to college. It's not as relaxing to me as reading but it's the only way I can get it in during classes. I don't know how long your commute to work is but it may be worth a try.

lexilou
Elite Members

July 3rd, 2009, 1:23 pm #25

I tried the books on "tape" when I got my mp3 player, it came with a free trial to audiobooks. The first one I got was Richard North Patterson's Exile. I picked it because it had good reviews and was ridiculously long. I figured since it was free I should get more than a 100 page romance. The book was set amidst the tension between Palestine and Israel and put it in human perspective for me, not this country did this or that, but explored how it affects the people. I've let my subscription expire because the distraction it provided at work isn't really too much anymore and I get interuptted too much to really get into the stories again.

amy
Elite Members

July 8th, 2009, 3:59 am #26

OK, I finished the Twilight 'saga'. The last book, IMO, sucked big wind. It also left too much open for it to be THE END.

I must say that I did love the second and third books! I am still torn between teams Edward and Jacob. I am still leaning towards Jacob, but only because of the last book.

I also just finished reading "Bluebeard" by Kurt Vonegut. I did NOT like "Slaughterhouse 5". I did actually like this book though. Go figure.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

July 8th, 2009, 10:20 am #27

amy wrote:OK, I finished the Twilight 'saga'. The last book, IMO, sucked big wind. It also left too much open for it to be THE END.

I must say that I did love the second and third books! I am still torn between teams Edward and Jacob. I am still leaning towards Jacob, but only because of the last book.
OMG Amy really? I LOVED the 3rd book. I thought it brought everything full circle and made complete sense.

Ew for still being on team Jacob. I'm scared to say too much in this thread because we may have some members who haven't read it but ewwww! LOL!
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

July 8th, 2009, 1:31 pm #28

For all you Twilight fans that have read ALL the books and watch the movies I started a new thread just for us http://s1.zetaboards.com/Buzz/topic/1926786/1/#new :)
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

blosslover
Site Admin

July 8th, 2009, 5:10 pm #29

I'm glad for that thread Gate as I have only seen the movie, and haven't touched the books yet. Wish the fourth one would come out in paperback already so I could get them all in a set.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

July 10th, 2009, 2:58 pm #30

I've added Peony in Love and the Elegance of the Hedgehog to my Amazon cart...

Books since last post -

Cesar Millan's Dog book - Cesar's Way - He's pretty controversial, because he doesn't limit himself to positive reinforcement, but I agree with most of his stuff. I agree with his take on dog psychology/pack mentality, which is backed by most scientific study, as opposed to the American tendency to anthropomorphize and treat pets as human.

Lois McMaster Bujold - The Sharing Knife Vol. 4 - Thousands of years after a post apocalyptic disaster, the world slowly recovers...the continuing the love story of a girl from the Farmer culture and a hard bitten Patroller from the LakeWalker culture, whose mission is to protect humanity from the powerhungry mutant Malices that arise as a result of ancient science gone awry. Top notch writer, superb science fiction.

Jeanne Birdsall - The Penderwicks - A really great 9-12 yr old novel about 4 sisters on vacation. The style reminds me of Nesbit, Eager, but without any magic. Just an ordinary bunch of kids having ordinary summer adventures. Big controversy over it winning the National Book Award when it was so *ordinary* and not Meaningful and Important. Getting the sequel next week.

Barbara Hambly - Those Who Hunt the Night - Awesome vampire novel, with a sequel I'm starting soon. Set in early 1907, an Oxford don who doubles as a British spy in Europe is forced by the vampires of London to act as their *daytime* agent and help them discover who is killing vampires. Fast paced, creative, disturbing, well written. And some creepy real life background: I never knew about the catacombs of Paris---

Click cautiously....this is a virtual tour of the catacombs of Paris, including ossuaries of thousands, millions, of bones moved from the city cemeteries.... http://triggur.org/cata/

Another link... http://www.quovadimus.org/paris/cat/thumb.html

Last edited by KMInfinity on July 10th, 2009, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2