Krystal
Site Admin

December 27th, 2011, 2:39 pm #191

What are Hunger Games about?

blosslover
Site Admin

December 27th, 2011, 3:27 pm #192

Yes I have this board to thank for reading those too.

Basically The Hunger Games takes place in a future in which the people of the world are separated into sections. Each group has to send two kids to play in a reality show to the death. Whomever wins gets special favors for their area, this was how the government decided to stop wars. Is that a clear enough short summary on the first book?

Jenni
Site Admin

December 27th, 2011, 3:34 pm #193

Yes, a clear short summary as to not spoil anything but can't begin to explain how good the books are. I finished the third book this morning. I hope they make all of them into movies. Without giving anything away the ending wasn't anything like I expected but it was more realistic. I'll start reading them again soon.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

December 27th, 2011, 5:45 pm #194

KMInfinity wrote:I'm halfway through The Hunger Games (recced by Maria) and it is awesome. Right up there with Ender's Game as a novel for teens that will cross over for adults and become a classic.

This will make a helluva movie...

Premise

-Post apocalyptic world, hundreds of years after global warming (and disease ?) have caused the *near* collapse of civilization. the rest of the world is out of touch. A shrunken North America is now known as Panem, stretching from the Rockies to Appalachia. The Capitol maintains some vestiges of technology, even some future tech, and brutally control 12 Districts as fiefdoms that are back in pre-industrial medieval times.

-The Reaping takes place year, for 12-18 yr olds (shades of Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery"). A boy and girl (called tribute) from each district is chosen to enter The Hunger Games, televised and promoted to entertain the masses while subtly rubbing the Districts' faces in the fact that they are subjugated and weak. The Games are to the death. (shades of Survivor)

-The first person narrator is sympathetic and pulls you into the story, metaphors for our culture abound, and the action, adventure, and drama are heartwrenching and heartstopping.

HIGHLY reccomended.
Here is KMI post from June 2009 about the Hunger Games. ;)

Krystal, I can safely say that you would like this series if not LOVE it!
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

December 27th, 2011, 6:41 pm #195

Huh. My review makes me want to reread ASAP. I fully intend to reread before the movie comes out in MARCH!!!!

Spoilery for those who haven't read the books.
http://www.thehungergamesmovie.com/index2.html

Geez I cried already when
[+] Spoiler
Katniss volunteered to replace Pim. Still wish they'd gone with a girl-of-color for Katniss, but Jennifer Lawrence looks good...

“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Dax
Site Admin

December 27th, 2011, 8:59 pm #196

>> I hope they make all of them into movies.

No worries there...

Krystal
Site Admin

December 27th, 2011, 9:18 pm #197

When I saw the reviews I thought they were teen books..

blosslover
Site Admin

December 27th, 2011, 9:37 pm #198

They are, but that isn't a reason to be scared away in this case.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

December 28th, 2011, 12:08 am #199

blosslover wrote:They are, but that isn't a reason to be scared away in this case.
I totally agree. My 'teen' read them and was thoroughly confused why they were teen books. They are very well written and I don't get the 'teen' vibe. Krystal, trust us ... read them or at least try the first one. I think you will really enjoy them. ;)

I also agree that all of the books will be made into movies.
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

Krystal
Site Admin

December 28th, 2011, 12:36 am #200

OK, I will. I have some stuff on my kindle, now that I am done with the King book I was sort of let down, like I was after the Tattoo trilogy...