tgir
Site Admin

December 11th, 2011, 5:59 pm #171

I'm not a big fan of King's books. I do like some of the movies made from his books: Stand By Me, The Shining (one of the few horror films I like), Shawshank Redemption. I liked The Green Mile as well, but to me it was less successful. Aside from The Shining, I really stay away from his horror films altogether.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

December 11th, 2011, 6:04 pm #172

Any PD James fans or Jane Austen fans?

I am looking forward to this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Death-Comes-Pembe ... 619&sr=8-1

It's by a terrific mystery writer, P.D. James who is literate as well as reflective, and it's a cool topic - Pride and Prejudice revisited. It's been done a lot as a 'superficial' idea that I think James will treat with greater depth and seriousness.
iii
iii
iii

Dax
Site Admin

December 11th, 2011, 6:28 pm #173

I haven't read The Shining yet, but I still expect to disagree with King in hating the Kubrick movie (I like it a lot), and from what I read about it (I didn't see it all, just a few bits and pieces), his own attempt at it, his tv-mini do-over (with Steven Weber) was not an improvement...

Stand By Me is good... Misery is good, but could have been a lot better... I like The Green Mile a lot (but not as much as Shawshank, no, and I haven't seen Darabont's The Mist yet, but am looking forward to it)...

I think King's a really good writer. There are SO many books that it would take forever to read them all (as I like to do when I find an author I really like), but I am making an effort to hit all the more important ones... The Stand was always Mom's favorite (as it is with many - King doesn't like that, wishes people didn't think he'd 'peaked' so early...) - I want to read The Shining and The Dead Zone... of the more recent ones, Under The Dome (currently in development as a Showtime series) and Duma's Key... I'll enjoy all of the Dark Tower-related books for being able to fully understand the connections... I should read all of the Castle Rock-set books...

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

December 11th, 2011, 6:35 pm #174

Just to interject here .....tonight on A&E Part 1 of 'Bag of Bones' will be on. I read the book and will record the Series for later viewing.

Under the Dome was a good book and I think it would make a good movie so we'll see. I did like The Shining by Kubrick too so I guess it's not fair if I say I don't like the movies. I just think some of them just don't translate as well with The Stand being the worst movie out of them all.
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

Krystal
Site Admin

December 11th, 2011, 7:01 pm #175

I love King and I love horror, although many of his books are not horror and certainly not the recent one.
The Shining, my favorite book ever. Hated the movie though, just hated it. I was single when I read the book, living alone, and it scared the shit out of me. Only book to ever do that, and I read all of Poe and all the old classic horror stuff when I was just a kid. My potically incorrect parents took me to horror flicks as a tyke, I was never afraid of them. I enjoyed the Stand a lot. Movie was OK, as was Carrie. To be fair though, most movies can't compare to a great book.

Dax
Site Admin

December 11th, 2011, 7:32 pm #176

Carrie is a good movie.

I've read far more of his non-horror than his horror at this point, and yeah, that's a classification that is rightly mostly left behind him... sure, it's how he got his start and rep, and he'll still delve into the scary sometimes (I really liked his zombie apocalypse novel, Cell, where 'the change' is triggered by people answering their cell phones and hearing some kind of signal...), but it's not fair to keep him pigeon-holed in it...

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

December 11th, 2011, 7:48 pm #177

Dax wrote:but it's not fair to keep him pigeon-holed in it...
And that is what I keep trying to tell my husband. I have yet to get him to read a Stephen King book. I had forgotten that the Shawshank Redemption was adapted from King's novella Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption so I had to once again remind my husband that not all King is horror or over the top.

Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

tgir
Site Admin

December 11th, 2011, 7:56 pm #178

Oooh, I love Jane Austen and the P.D. James book is on my wish list for Christmas. Read a really good review on the NPR site.

Normally not a big mystery fan, but recently have been finding that I like the genre, or at least some of the genre. I've read all 3 novels by Tana French and really liked them, but the last, Faithful Place, is the best by far, imo.

I saw the original The Shining many years ago, with my brother in law, of all people, because he was visiting at the time and he wanted to see it and I did and my husband didn't really and someone had to stay home with the baby...(who is now 33). That baby/my oldest son still sees The Shining as the scariest film he ever saw.

I like some of the old school horror films a bit and did when I was a kid (the original The Fly game me many nightmares; I loved Little Shop of Horrors original version). There used to be a Fri. night television show that showed all the old horror shows (Called Nightmare Theater, with host Sammy Terry--get it: cemetery! hahahah) but as I got older, I just didn't find them interesting anymore. Not that they were too scary, more like the gore became the point and I just didn't enjoy it.

I was way too poor to pay full price to see Carrie when it came out and never really bothered to see it in its entirety since. The parts I've seen really irritate me, which is what King does most of the time if he's focusing on a female character.

tgir
Site Admin

December 11th, 2011, 7:57 pm #179

Oh, meant to add: it turns out a LOT of people at work are reading The Hunger Games. I think because of the movie buzz and some people saying it will be the next Twilight (which it really will not, thank heavens).

Krystal
Site Admin

December 11th, 2011, 8:29 pm #180

TGIR, I do like the "old" horror films way better and it's just what you said. I don't mind some blood but shit like Saw or Hostel are just gore for the sake of it. I don't rent them. Body Snatchers (the old one) scared the crap out of me. Once in awhole we'll find a new one that is good but it is rare. ast year (I think) there were 2 the Descent and The Cave both pretty scary and better than normal.

I didn't like the Shining as I thought it did no justice to the book at all. Plus I don't even like Nicholsen much.

King draws rich characters, most of his books are about how humans can be so evil, but then there is usuallya good counter force there too...