Dax
Site Admin

June 11th, 2011, 9:53 pm #151

I'm glad she doesn't try to reconcile differences... separate paths probably for the best (here, and with Dexter; same rule very probably doesn't apply to ASOIAF). Yeah, I've read that Harris has liked some of Ball's stuff enough to incorporate/cross-appropriate it, and that's probably fine, but NOT if it negates anything she herself did earlier in the series... each medium should be consistent with itself, right?

KMInfinity
Site Admin

June 30th, 2011, 3:38 pm #152

I'm in an online fantasy book club at TWoP. Anyone can participate, but it was for people who miss HBO's Game of Thrones already (tho there is to be NO talk of GRRM's books as some are spoiler-free). We just finished Privilege of the Sword, by Katherine Kushner. I described it as a great failure. She has some excellent characters, but tries to do too much in too little of a novel. (even tho it's 450 pages)

It's a feudal-style fantasy with almost no fantasy. Young Katherine is required to live with her Mad Duke uncle so that he will repair the family's fortunes. His goal is to turn her into a master swordsman and body guard, essentially to spit in the face of society. The novel explores gender roles and the struggle to deal with societal norms.

Personally I preferred the Mad Duke's B story, which is the A story in a related book called Swordspoint, which I will now read.

The next book is Anne McCaffrey's very first Dragons of Pern novel, from the 60's - Dragonflight. I read it at least twice back in my misspent youth and Im was a big Dragon/Pern fan, so it will be interesting to revisit this world.
iii
iii
iii

tgir
Site Admin

June 30th, 2011, 4:32 pm #153

I liked the first several Dragons of Pern novels pretty well. which I read probably in the late 80's to 90's. I know I haven't read all of them. Of course, the first was the best.

blosslover
Site Admin

June 30th, 2011, 5:21 pm #154

I bought the Game of Thrones four book set. :) Recently finished reading My Life in Paris and Marley and Me...

KMInfinity
Site Admin

June 30th, 2011, 9:27 pm #155

Bloss I really want to hear what you think about ASoIaF. Especially if/when you finish Book 3 - A Storm of Swords.
iii
iii
iii

Krystal
Site Admin

August 23rd, 2011, 10:08 pm #156

Reading "Unbroken". about WW2 crew who goes down and survives the sea only to be tortured by the Japanese. Outstanding, thought provoking, depressing. They just don't make men like that anymore.

Jenni
Site Admin

December 4th, 2011, 3:31 am #157

Has anyone read The Help? I was going to get it from the library but the waiting list is too long so I'm wondering about buying it for my Kindle.

tgir
Site Admin

December 4th, 2011, 4:25 am #158

Yes, I read it. I confess to having some mixed feelings about it. Don't get me wrong: it's a good read, funny, sad, very thought provoking. I just felt as though it didn't really go for the depths when exploring racial relationships or the experience of the black domestic workers. I didn't really feel as though Skeeter (the main character, the white woman who wants to write a book from the perspective of the (black) help really was as cognizant as she should have been of the danger to the women whose help she was asking for.

Don't want to go into it more because I don't want to spoil it for you, but I'd love it if you read it and were willing to discuss it.

Krystal
Site Admin

December 4th, 2011, 5:03 am #159

I am reading Stephen Kings latest and loving it...

blosslover
Site Admin

December 4th, 2011, 2:52 pm #160

I understand your issues with The Help tgir, as that is a good point. I think Skeeter while intelligent was a bit naive about the situation as for most of her life the person who was the maid in her house was treated wonderfully. Don't want to say more as we'd be getting into spoiler territory. If it wasn't so expensive to send books via the mail I'd send you my copy jcluckey.