Jenni
Site Admin

May 13th, 2011, 6:05 pm #141

There's a lot of emotion in the book. I would definitely recommend the book to anyone. I'll probably see the movie when it comes out.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

May 13th, 2011, 7:42 pm #142

jcluckey wrote:There's a lot of emotion in the book. I would definitely recommend the book to anyone. I'll probably see the movie when it comes out.
Thanks for the recommendation. :thumbsup:
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

Dax
Site Admin

May 13th, 2011, 8:03 pm #143

I think the movie has been out for a week or two already, hasn't it?

Not getting great reviews, but I love Ginnifer Goodwin, so I'll probably see it 'someday'.

Jenni
Site Admin

June 3rd, 2011, 11:40 am #144

Just finished "Something Blue", it was awesome!!! I think I liked it better than the first one.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

June 11th, 2011, 1:34 pm #145

Read the latest Charlaine Harris Sookie Stackhouse novel. I thought it was very well done. She really connected some dots, and has, imo, set the books on a distinctive path from HBO, and dare I say a better one?

Given the "fun beach book" vampire genre, she is actually exploring some meatier questions about identity and love that I'm predicting may end up alienating some of her fan base when she wraps the series, if she's going where I think she's going.
iii
iii
iii

blosslover
Site Admin

June 11th, 2011, 3:29 pm #146

I'm guessing you mean the last hard cover Sookie book. I'm waiting until it comes to paperback. Do you know how many more books there will be?

Just started another vampire series called The Morganville Vampires, now they have them in the young adult section (got the two books in one edition versions), but the single books were in the sci-fi fantasy section.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

June 11th, 2011, 4:05 pm #147

Once upon a time, Harris said there would only be 13 books overall. Lately she has hedged her statements. On her website FAQ she says she doesn't know how many more books there will be, but she knows how the series will end. The newest hardback Dead reckoning is the 11th.

Chapter One is online on her site:

http://www.charlaineharris.com/DeadReck_1.html

iii
iii
iii

KMInfinity
Site Admin

June 11th, 2011, 5:25 pm #148

I'll cross-post with the Game of Thrones thread.

TwoP is developing a reading club, ostensibly for fantasy fans who will miss GoT while on hiatus. The thread discussion includes TONS of good fantasy and SF (and medieval/political intrigue) suggestions, even if you are not interested in participating.

http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com ... ic=3205839

Edited to add: The point of the thread is for readers who DO NOT want to read GRRM's books and wish to remain unspoiled. ASOIAF readers can participate, but cannot in any way mention anything GRRM related.

Last edited by KMInfinity on June 11th, 2011, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iii
iii
iii

Dax
Site Admin

June 11th, 2011, 5:49 pm #149

>> has, imo, set the books on a distinctive path from HBO, and dare I say a better one?

Well, no matter which one prefers, you can't really say SHE set the books on a distinctive path FROM HBO... I mean, the books are ALL hers, and she's always been - what? - seven books ahead... then the show comes along, and... it's the one forging the deviations (again, mostly by the lifting of the limitation that you have when the books are all told from Sookie's POV, and the show can't be that way).

I might read books 2-4 soon. I've been holding off, but...

KMInfinity
Site Admin

June 11th, 2011, 8:13 pm #150

Well, there's been discussion her books might be influenced by the HBO show, but I take your point. I think what I meant to say is that the show clearly diverges and she makes no real attempt to reconcile the differences, which could be an issue.
iii
iii
iii