tgir
Site Admin

February 16th, 2011, 2:59 am #131

Yes, it is poetic on more than one level. I am glad you like it.

tgir
Site Admin

February 27th, 2011, 5:38 am #132

Just finished Faithful Place by Tana French. It's her third mystery/thriller, although I think those terms do not come close to doing her novels justice. I've real all 3 published (and understand the 4th is in progress) and this is my favorite by quite a lot. The novels are all loosely related in that the first focused on a particular character and the second on a character introduced in the first, and the third, in a character from the 2nd. There are some common themes, as well, mostly about how we try to escape our own personal tragedies and sometimes tragic beginnings but in the end, must confront them and ourselves. Each is heart breaking in some ways, very engrossing. I could scarcely put Faithful Place down until I had finished it. Love the characters, love the voice, love everything about them.

And I don't like mysteries.

tgir
Site Admin

March 6th, 2011, 2:09 am #133

Just read that they are making The Hunger Games into a film, with release expected for 2012:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/browbe ... tniss.aspx

KMInfinity
Site Admin

March 27th, 2011, 4:47 pm #134

Finished The Book Thief. Simply terrific. A friend and I want to get T-shirts with the novel's final line.

Over Spring Break I didn't get to read much at all since it dovetailed with the beginning of teaching units where I use novels. So I reread Shadow Spinner by Susan Fletcher and Daniel's Story by Carol Matas.

SS is an excellent retelling of the 1001 Nights. DS is a very blunt overview of the big picture of the Holocaust by having a family pretty much experience everything. It's a well told story with some great themes, but a little on the "stock" cliche character side of the ledger...tho my 8th graders LOVE it as an alternative to the textbook and non-fiction sources as it is a detailed (maybe too detailed) summary of the key events.

I also read Meditation For Beginners by Jack Kornfield and the newest Miles Vorkosigan SF by Lois McMaster Bujold entitled Cryoburn. Pretty good, but not one of the best. Then again, Bujold's average SF is better than most.

iii
iii
iii

Dax
Site Admin

April 26th, 2011, 4:19 am #135

The year so far... annoyingly, I'm only averaging a book a month (though there were some comic books thrown in the mix, and a couple of these books were really long... still. Grr. Want more reading time...).

Lamb: The Gospel According To Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal - Christopher Moore. The only one I hadn't read. Very funny.

Another Thing To Fall - Laura Lippman. I went very against my character, and -GASP- read a book from a series OUT OF SEQUENCE. I never do that. It was here, it was at hand, I liked the one of hers that I picked up at the same time and read last fall... so this is the tenth of Lippman's mysteries with character Tess Monaghan... I enjoyed the book. I don't feel TOO spoiled on previous entries, but... a little, I'm sure. Anyway. I've since ordered 1-5, and I'll get 6-9 after I run through those...

One Day - David Nicholls. A beautiful romance, told on a single day (July 15th) every year for a span of 19 years... very funny book. The movie (with Anne Hathaway) comes out in July, I hope it's good.

Play Dead - Harlan Coben. While I wait for my library hold to come through on 'the new one' (Live Wire, the tenth Myron Bolitar book), I read 'the first one', one of two early 90s books that have been out of print for years (effectively making his third book his 'first' book, though it wasn't REALLY...). It's good, has a lot of the familiar tricks that he'll come to perfect later on... it IS evident in places that it's from a still-learning-his-trade author, and at over 500 pages, it's probably more than a bit overwritten, but I enjoyed it - nothing for him to be too terribly embarrassed about, and I hope the OTHER 'lost' book (Miracle Cure, 1991) will also become available in the near-future, so I can say 'I've read them all' without the asterisk of 'except that one that's out-of-print'...

And I read the first six hardcovers (collecting the first 72 issues) of The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard, and Cliff Rathburn. I like it, but I expect that the tv show is going to be kicking its ass in the storytelling department... already, the things in the adaptation that have differed from the source material are improvements in the story... with the comic, the WRITING isn't particularly awesome, but it does succeed in getting you to want to know what happens next. The suspense is there, but... Anyway, I have higher hopes for the tv show, but I will keep reading the comics (in collections of 12) as they become available...

Last edited by Dax on April 26th, 2011, 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

shelle_cr
Site Admin

May 7th, 2011, 7:22 pm #136

I've just finished reading Single Man. WHile I enjoyed reading it a lot, I'm quite curious how they've managed to make it to a long film as it seems so short. ALso, did they use voiceover? I cannot imagine how they would translate all inner George's thoughts and feelings.

Reading Never let me go now.

The Princess and the Sailor - board dedicated to Carly & Bo from Days of our lives

Jenni
Site Admin

May 7th, 2011, 9:16 pm #137

I found a new juvenile/teen series that I'm reading along with my daughter. It's the Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage. A magical series that is really good. I'm on book 5 now, not sure if there's more.

Jenni
Site Admin

May 13th, 2011, 3:05 am #138

I just finished reading "Something Borrowed" by Emily Griffin, there's a movie coming out based on the book. The storyline was a little unorthodox for me but I loved it! Going to get the next one "Something Blue" next!

Cheryl
Elite Members

May 13th, 2011, 3:26 am #139

jcluckey wrote:I just finished reading "Something Borrowed" by Emily Griffin, there's a movie coming out based on the book. The storyline was a little unorthodox for me but I loved it! Going to get the next one "Something Blue" next!
What are they about, JC?

HOT, HOT, HOT, SMOKIN' HOT!!!!

blosslover
Site Admin

May 13th, 2011, 3:33 am #140

jcluckey, I read Something Borrowed and Something Blue years ago. I quite enjoyed them. Whenever a new Emily Giffin book comes out in paperback I purchase it.

Something Borrowed and Something Blue tell the same story from opposite points of view. It is a story about two friends whose relationship is destroyed by a man. One book is told with the POV of the fiance and the other by her friend who breaks up the couple.