blosslover
Site Admin

January 1st, 2011, 10:38 pm #121

The book I was reading was a Ren Faire mystery series. It is fun for what it is. I also read a Flower Shop mystery in the past week (Kate Collins) and a Kendra Ballantyne pet sitter who happens to also be a lawyer mystery. Currently I am reading a Jane True novel, which is urban fantasy about a half-human, her mother went back to the sea and is missing.

I've read the Hunger Games series due to recommendations here. Also have read the Stieg books in 2010. I also read one of the Jasper Fforde Nursery Crime mysteries which are insane though funny.

lexilou
Elite Members

January 1st, 2011, 11:33 pm #122

I recently finished "John Dies at the End". I can't really sum it up, it was quite bizarre. I got it at Borders, buy one get one 1/2 off. I got "Water for Elephants" which I really liked, not sure about the ending though. This is the Amazon link, though I assure you I did not pay $200 for this book!

http://www.amazon.com/John-Dies-End-Dav ... 0978970764

It was an interesting read, not my usual type of book. I passed it on to a friend and told her to pass it on, etc. Not one I will keep for my collection.

blosslover
Site Admin

January 1st, 2011, 11:37 pm #123

I read Water for Elephants while I was sitting waiting on jury duty three years ago or so. I really enjoyed that book.

Jenni
Site Admin

January 2nd, 2011, 4:58 am #124

KMI, I adore the Dresden Files. I started reading them and Codex Alera on your recommendation I think and I love them all.

Gate or anyone else, do you get e-books for the Kindle from anywhere else? I'm trying to keep myself on a budget since it's brand new and I've gotten a bunch of freebies from Amazon but I wasn't sure if there were other reputable sites where I could download free books. Unfortunately my library's e-books aren't compatible with the Kindle. Happy reading everyone!

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

January 2nd, 2011, 12:58 pm #125

jcluckey wrote:Gate or anyone else, do you get e-books for the Kindle from anywhere else? I'm trying to keep myself on a budget since it's brand new and I've gotten a bunch of freebies from Amazon but I wasn't sure if there were other reputable sites where I could download free books. Unfortunately my library's e-books aren't compatible with the Kindle. Happy reading everyone!
There are a ton of resources. I made a new section just for Kindle/Ebook Resources ~

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Buzz/topic/4035271/1/#new

The first think you must download is Calibre. It's free and it can convert almost any ebook format to the Kindle format. :xmascheer:
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

tgir
Site Admin

January 24th, 2011, 2:37 am #126

Just wanted to suggest two titles, especially for KMI:

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It follows a young girl, orphaned and raised by foster parents in Germany in the late 30's/early 40's. Told from the perspective of Death. Given the time/place and the narrator, the book is both dark and beautiful, wry, funny, heart breakingly sad. I haven't finished it yet, but really enjoy it.

The other is called Feed by M.T. Anderson. Futuristic YA novel, told from the perspective of a teenaged boy, named Titus whose ability to read, write or think for himself has been almost completely wiped out by his 'feed', an electronic device that connects him to his friends, culture, advertising, etc. and replaces thought with the feed. Think twitter, with advertisements., embedded in actual brain tissue. There is a constant background chatter from friends, occasionally parents or other authority figures and of course, the omniscient ads to buy/buy into the latest trend, which might last only minutes. Of course, he meets a girl who is not as 'plugged in' as he is. I'm only part way through but so far, it's really good. Heavy on lingo/teen speak reminiscent of A Clockwork Orange, in a way. I haven't finished that (as usual, in the middle of multiple books....)

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

January 24th, 2011, 12:18 pm #127

Tgir, both books sounds really good. Thanks for sharing. :D
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

January 24th, 2011, 10:24 pm #128

tgir, you're the 3rd person recently to rec The Book Thief. My Amazon cart bulges.....
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

tgir
Site Admin

January 24th, 2011, 10:27 pm #129

I think you would like both books. I have.....too many books in my 'to read' pile here at home. The book store is a dangerous place for me.....

KMInfinity
Site Admin

February 16th, 2011, 1:10 am #130

About a third of the way thru The Book Thief. Thanks for the rec, tgir. Really love it. It's almost poetic in its prose and style. A few of my students have read it and really praised it too.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2