Cheryl
Elite Members

June 30th, 2009, 1:56 pm #11

amy wrote:OK, In my defense I said that I thought the FIRST book was sophomoric, AND IT WAS! I am now finished with the second and I don't know if she found her voice or what, but this book was much better than the first! I have to say that I had to suspend some disbelief at the turns the story took, but I have to do that with most books and take no notice of it.

I was not suggesting that anyone who read it was lacking in ANY way, whatsoever. I like this series and am now about to go raid her bookshelf for the 3rd in the series. I'll get back later.

I do kind of love Jacob at this point. I think I get her attachment to Edward. I am just waiting to see how the next plays out.
Amy--I get what you are saying completely. I read the first one and thought it was just okay.....I really didn't get what all the hoopla was all about. Definitely better than the crappy movie though....OMG, that really sucked. I went ahead and read New Moon and REALLY liked it much, much better than Twilight. I'm now reading Eclipse (it took freaking forever to get here!) and am in the beginning, so I can't comment too much except to say that it's STILL better than the first one. I also love Jacob.......it was New Moon that sealed the deal with my Jacob love (probably since Edward was MIA for most of the book.....lol). I just wish that Jacob and Edward didn't hate each other so much. Bella needs both of them and they need to realize that fact.

I would love to read the Sookie Stackhouse books from I think I'll wait until after True Blood finishes its run on HBO. I don't want to become another disgruntled fan who hates it when the show deviates from the book and I'm loving the show sooooooooo much that I just don't want anything to ruin that enjoyment. Can't wait to finally read them though.....I have a feeling they will be much better than the Twilight series.

HOT, HOT, HOT, SMOKIN' HOT!!!!

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

June 30th, 2009, 2:15 pm #12

I really think the Twilight series has 2 distinct fanbases. You are either on Edward's side or Jacobs. I personally was always in the Edward camp and loved Jacob as a BFF for Bella. I'm not going to say any more because I finished the series and I don't want to give away anything. I have a big mouth and I'm trying to keep it shut on this one.

Cheryl, I'm torn about reading the Sookie Stackhouse series. My buddy KMI was kind enough to send them to me and I'm into the first one but I 'think' I'm not going to read the next one until the Season 2 has ended. I don't know. KMI what do you think?
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

Jeannie

June 30th, 2009, 3:08 pm #13

I totally agree with you Gate! I loved Jacob as a BFF for Bella, but ALWAYS was on Team Edward!

The Hunger Games sounds like something I would really enjoy, so I may have to check that one out. I just bought "Change of Heart" by Jodi Piccoult the other day...I haven't even opened it yet, but heard quite some time ago that it is a really good book.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

June 30th, 2009, 8:35 pm #14

Sookie Stackhouse novels and True Blood

Gate, all I can say is that the TV show deviated a great deal from the 1st book in S1 and even more so in Book 2. I think Ball is loosely taking some characters, settings, and situations and spinning them his own way.

I love both the books and the show, and see them as two separate things. I like that the show is so different because it means that I'm not much spoiled for the show. I can enjoy it almost as a new fan.

The biggest difference, imo, is that the novels are strongly from Sookie's point-of-view, told in the first person. The show is NOT from her point-of-view mush, and less so as time goes by (imo).

Other major differences...

*90% of Tara's stuff is totally different. Non-existent in the books.

*50% of Jason's stuff from S1 is different - especially ALL the stuff about *V* - 100% of Jason's stuff so far this season isn't in the books.

iii
iii
iii

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

June 30th, 2009, 10:24 pm #15

Thanks KMI. I'm going to read the books now and not worry about being spoiled. ;)
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

Jenni
Site Admin

July 1st, 2009, 12:53 am #16

I have Hunger Games on the way! I don't know what I'd do without everyone's recommendations. I'm going to have to start keeping a list though because once school starts back up I won't have time to read.

Deleted User
Deleted User

July 1st, 2009, 12:27 pm #17

Hello,
What a great thread idea! I'm always looking for more books to read. I haven't read any of the Twilight books yet or the Sookie books....I hadn't heard anything about them until the movie and True Blood came out. And my little Library here in Paw Paw, well they pretty much don't get this type of book unless someone asks for it.

I did see the twilight movie. I came away wanting to see the next one but not really feeling the need to read the book but after reading Amy and Cheryl's posts
I think I'll give them a try. And the Sookie books...gonna have to start requesting the library get them.

I have been reading the Lara Adrian Midnight Breed Books. I've enjoyed them enough that I started buying them on Ebay.
On her web site she has detailed info on the books.Laura Adrian Midnight Breed

I also read some of the Nora Roberts books that are about witches and such. The Circle Trilogy,
The Sign of Seven Trilogy, and The Three Sisters Trilogy to name a few. I didn't realize she wrote this type of book until I stumble on them at Ebay.

very glad that lexilou told me about this thread :clap:

lexilou
Elite Members

July 1st, 2009, 9:31 pm #18

I love those Nora Roberts books! And you must read the Twilight series, it's much better than the movie.

Jenni
Site Admin

July 2nd, 2009, 3:45 am #19

I am a huge Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb fan. The Twilight books blow away the movie. The movie is good but the books express so much more than a movie can. Shutting my mouth now.......

Deleted User
Deleted User

July 2nd, 2009, 12:16 pm #20

I will be checking with my library to see if they have the Twilight series in. They are pretty good about ordering books that aren't in stock. You all have me interested in seeing how different the first book is from the movie so I'm looking forward to it.