American Crime Story

Dax
Site Admin

January 6th, 2016, 7:30 pm #1

Krystal
Site Admin

January 6th, 2016, 9:04 pm #2

I have absolutely no urge to watch anything about OJ.
That trial was shoved down my throat years ago and I certainly don't want to relive it especially considering the outcome.

Dax
Site Admin

February 3rd, 2016, 6:54 pm #3

I was watching 'live' - a bit behind, because of commercials, of course, but without recording because the dvr was full, and Oliver hit the remote and changed the channel on me and grrrrrrr... so I erased a couple things I can get later, and hit 'record' on the second airing of this, and... anyway. I have about 1/3rd of the first one left to watch when I get home from work..

But I saw enough to say 'this is good'. Absorbing story, well told.

Sterling K. Brown -- Christopher Darden
Kenneth Choi -- Lance Ito
Christian Clemenson -- William Hodgman
Cuba Gooding Jr. -- O.J. Simpson
Bruce Greenwood -- Gil Garcetti
Nathan Lane -- F. Lee Bailey
Sarah Paulson -- Marcia Clark
David Schwimmer -- Robert Kardashian
John Travolta -- Robert Shapiro
Courtney B. Vance -- Johnnie Cochran
Last edited by Dax on February 3rd, 2016, 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bilki
Site Admin

February 3rd, 2016, 7:31 pm #4

Really enjoyed Sarah Paulson as Marcia Clark and her POV is probably the most interesting to me, followed by Christopher Darden. But I wasn't sold on Gooding Jr as OJ, mostly because he doesn't look at all like a football player and I didn't think he captured the charisma that I imagine OJ possesses.

I'm not sure if I'll make an effort to watch more. Maybe if I see people raving about it.

jbrr1212
Elite Members

February 3rd, 2016, 9:21 pm #5

I posted my thoughts on this in the watching and sampling thread before i saw this had its own thread. Agree Paulson is quite good as Marcia Clark.

Dax
Site Admin

February 3rd, 2016, 9:41 pm #6

jbr - Yeah, I probably screwed up by actually commenting more THERE than here, but... I always like to put SOMETHING in the 'Watching' catch-all for a NEW show, whether or not it has its own thread...

Agree Gooding doesn't convey the charisma we associate with pre-murders OJ. I can't remember ever really 'loving' Gooding in anything, though he's been 'fine' in a lot of stuff. I didn't think he ought to have won his Oscar for Jerry Maguire, though his enthusiasm in accepting it was the thing he'll probably always be best remembered for (and arguably, the movie, too, though it also has those memorable 'show me the money' and 'help me help you' catchphrases).

Most critics seem pretty impressed by this. I'm not as 'wow' as the most positive ones I've seen (but they may have seen up to #6), but I feel safe in saying this is going to be worth watching to anybody with any interest in seeing the very well-known story dramatized. I don't think I'll agree with the promos that promise "The trial isn't the whole story. This is" or suggest 'you only think you know ___' -- No, I don't think there will be much in the way of genuine SURPRISES... but twists-and-turns? Many of those. Real life was SO crazy... it's a good story.

bilki
Site Admin

February 4th, 2016, 4:04 am #7

Faye Resnick is friends with Kyle Richards, one of the housewives from Real Housewives of Beverly Hills (yes, it's still one of my guilty pleasures). Faye pops up on the show from time to time, and it's funny that she's been on the past two weeks because one of the new housewives has some connection to the OJ story. I don't know if it was a coincidence, or someone at BRAVO was smart enough to time it just right.

I'm a little curious to see Connie Britton as Faye. Maybe I'll watch this in the background while I play my farming game.

Dax
Site Admin

February 4th, 2016, 4:23 am #8

What's the new lady's connection to the OJ story? Did Bravo cast her so she and Faye might cross paths?

I, uh, sorta started one of those farming games this week. A friend had been bugging me about hers (Coral Isle) for over a year, and... Weak moment. They are addicting... I DO kinda get it, but I think tedium will set in, too, and I'll only semi-regular it... She and some of her friends center their LIVES around the damned thing...

bilki
Site Admin

February 4th, 2016, 5:36 am #9

Her name is Kathryn Edwards. Resnick claims that Nicole had slept with Marcus Allen during her separation from OJ, and Marcus Allen was soon-to-marry Kathryn. Faye wrote about it in her book about Nicole, and on the show Kathryn claims she's held a grudge against Faye ever since.

I haven't heard of Coral Isle. I'll have to look it up, lol. My friends got me addicted to Hay Day last June. I spent just about every free moment on it for months. Lots of dopamine shots to the brain, I'm sure. But the excitement wears off (always does) and now I play when something isn't holding my full attention. It's good for when I'm watching shows I only sorta-kinda like.

jbrr1212
Elite Members

February 4th, 2016, 9:08 am #10

Housewives is still a guilty pleasure of mine too and I was just thinking about this last night lol. Andy Cohen is definitely pulling the strings with the Kathryn/Faye feud, it smells of a setup from a mile away. Marcus Allen was also one of OJs best friends, OJ supposedly called him from jail and wanted him to testify/lie on his behalf. I dont recall it being a big story during the trial but alot of it has come out since (maybe mostly in Fayes book?). Andy Cohen did a whole special "remember when" show that focused on 1994 with alot about the OJ story a couple months ago so he clearly wanted to remind us all about it before all this Faye/Kathryn stuff aired. Not sure if he planned it to coincide with this new series but I wouldn't be surprised in the least. Andy LOVES a good scandal and Bravo is his personal playground. I'm thinking with the new series lots of people might be googling Faye and surely Real Housewives is right up at the top of the search results driving more traffic to Bravo. The release date of the series has been known long enough for Bravo to have timed it out perfectly. I am looking forward to seeing Connie Britton as Faye too. That could be VERY good.