A "New" GL. . . Maybe

Deleted User
Deleted User

October 3rd, 2009, 5:58 am #1

I found this via a link in a thread on the Y&R Board:
wrote:GL to return to the screen?
The body is not even cold yet, but ATI’s James Romanovich is proving why TV Guide Canada chose the producer and soap fan as one of the most powerful men working in TV today.

Romanovich tells Soapgeist that he has pitched a new version of Guiding Light to TeleNext. Although talks are in its gestation stages, Romanovich says, “Don’t get excited yet, because this is a long shot but I have been communicating with P&G and TeleNext about the possibility of a new Guiding Light. New ideas. New format. New cast. Think 13 hours syndication. I’m not sure if P&G will want to work under our financial model. But we have a plan to keep the light burning, although it won’t be a revival of the old show. It’ll be more of a 2.0 version. We wouldn’t shoot it in the U.S. although the setting and the families will remain the same. Some liberties would have to be made just as we did when we produced The Ponderosa (prequel to Bonanza) eight years ago for PAX.”

Hey, as long as Ellen Wheeler isn’t involved, I’ll watch it.
TV Guide Canada

Bill

Deleted User
Deleted User

October 3rd, 2009, 12:55 pm #2

I don't know...while I do appreciate that someone out there wants to continue with GL, for me I don't think it would be GL if the whole cast was different. Not sure I want to see Phillip, Rick, heck any of them played by different people let alone all at the same time. It just wouldn't be GL.

soapmom

October 3rd, 2009, 8:02 pm #3

I know I would not watch it. Just because the title is Guiding Light doesn't mean it will be close to how it was. That would be like someone discontinuing your favorite brand of chips or ice cream then another company bringing it back but it tastes totally different. Would you continue eating it?? I think of 90210 and Melrose Place. They needed to at least bring back a few characters to suck people into the story again. Also, what would make someone think that more people would be interested in watching it when the ratings weren't good before the end was near. I might be the only one that is not a fan of remakes or recasts. I, for one, would choose to remember GL the way it was and leave it be. RIP GL. :rip:

Krystal
Site Admin

October 4th, 2009, 1:10 am #4

Me too. I don't care what they call it but if they did not at least have most of the main characters back I would not watch it.

GLFan1978

October 4th, 2009, 2:06 am #5

Couldn't agree more. The show ended, and ended well with so many satisfying endings. I am sad it is gone, but would be even more sad if any new show attempted to recreate anything of the show, even if just a shell. It is gone, I want my memories to remain as is.

Paddy

October 4th, 2009, 3:19 pm #6

GLFan1978 wrote:Couldn't agree more. The show ended, and ended well with so many satisfying endings. I am sad it is gone, but would be even more sad if any new show attempted to recreate anything of the show, even if just a shell. It is gone, I want my memories to remain as is.
I totally agree! Most often, "new versions" are not successful as they mostly consistent of a new and different cast. No thanks. Please let GL rest in peace!
Last edited by Paddy on October 4th, 2009, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

failsafe

October 5th, 2009, 4:59 am #7

This is an awful idea. I hope it fails before it even gets out of development.

katinka

October 6th, 2009, 1:52 pm #8

It's like "New Coke" years ago....it just won't work....at least not for me.
:rip: GL
Do what you want and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind! Dr. Seuss

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

October 7th, 2009, 12:36 pm #9

ITA ... GL is gone and they should just let it rest in peace. I'm not even happy with the Mindy Twitter stuff going on.
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.