21 Weeks To Go

Dax
Site Admin

April 23rd, 2010, 9:08 pm #1

My quarter-century-plus chapter of being a viewer of daytime soaps comes to a close in September with the end of ATWT. A few thoughts on the show recently (which I fast through large chunks of everyday... I'm TRYING to watch more since the end is so nigh, but there's just not enough of interest to slow down for, sadly...). --

The Babs/Henry/Vienna triangle is very odd.

If Martha Byrne doesn't return... I would be totally fine with the show ending with Holden and Molly together. I understand, of course, that there is zero chance of that happening, but... I kinda enjoy Holden & Molly together, and Holden with Beck's Lily does nothing for me.

Molly taking phone calls from her ex, that whole storyline... very annoying.

I know Lesli Kay has an open door/recurring-but-never-used thing with B&B, and that her ATWT stint was expanded (long-term 'loan'... hey, why not?) , but can any B&B watchers tell me if she's been on there AT ALL since we started seeing so much of Molly?

It's insane to me that either Chris or Casey would still be interested in Allison in any way.

Daniel Cosgrove is a really good actor. There's a lot of 'aw, too bad, it's too late' about his showing up here, but he's clearly an asset to any remaining soap that might wanna bring him on...

If I didn't read that Liberty had been recast, I would not have noticed.

I need James Stenbeck back before the end. I know plenty of fans are exhausted with him, but I love Herrera's work so much, and (though I tend to favor 'realism' more than the 'extreme fantasy' stuff in my soaps) I've always enjoyed James' inability to stay dead... I will NOT be happy if the pathetic excuse for a character that was Henry's Mom is the ULTIMATE ender of James Stenbeck's life. And then the Pelphrey-as-the-brainwashed-kid was the last James story... no. Unacceptable. Herrera needs to come back, once more, with feeling.

I do NOT, however, need any more Damian Grimaldi.

Really weird that Emily wasn't at Kim and Bob's big party.

Their break-up/not-really-married mini-story crisis was totally lame, but the flashbacks were super-fun to see (especially the earliest Bob/Lisa stuff).

I hope Julianne Moore's cameo DOES encourage some more big names to drop in, but some (Tomei, Posey) wouldn't make much sense story-wise... (Meg Ryan would be a nice 'get' for them... Fichtner (again, better if Byrne were Lily, or if Meg weren't imminently departing the canvas) would be awesome...).

I expect we'll see Iva... I expect we'll see Andy...

I HOPE Larry Bryggman says 'what the hell' instead of 'nah, fuck it, don't want to'. I'd very much like to see John Dixon again.

I don't care for the Luke/Noah/Reed Oliver stuff (it's not homophobia, of course... just boring storytelling...).

Faith and drugs... zzzzzzzzzzz...

Wow, Janet is on a lot.

I gather the plan for Craig before the end is some kind of big 'redemption' (ala Alan Spaulding sacrificing his life for Phillip), but as much a soap staple as the surprise-kid-from-out-of-nowhere is, I think it's WAY too late at this date to bring this uninteresting Gabriel guy in...

I wish I could say that I'll miss the show...

I'll miss the IDEA of it...

TPTB just aren't delivering much in the way of quality. Sad.

mozartkc
Elite Members

April 24th, 2010, 12:09 am #2

I have to agree with you Dax :(
I watch everyday but I FF way too much. Anything involving CrackwhoreAli gets FF REAL FAST!
NuLily needs to go ASAP. I too would rather Holden end up with Molly if Martha Byrne can't come back.
I must say that I enjoy the NuLibs. She flawlessly stepped into that role.
I enjoy Henry and Babs
I still love Carly/Jack although this thing with Janet is dragging it down. I like Janet but lately she gets FF too.
Faith doing drugs....?!?WTF? Not liking that story either.
God please tell me greasy Damien doesnt come back! ENOUGH!
I would be down for James returning :)
To answer your question about Leslie Kay. I haven't seen her on B&B since she has been back on ATWT
I like Luke with Reid. it helps balance him out. Maybe I like Reid because he is such a smart ass and doesn't care what anyone thinks? I wish I were more like that :)
All in all I will totally miss ATWT :( CBS is making a huge mistake letting this go. I hear that Julie Chen will be doing a "View" like show in the place of ATWT :( I guess I will have an extra hour a day to do something other than watch tv. I can't stand anymore news or game shows.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

April 24th, 2010, 11:13 pm #3

I haven't watched ATWT in a long time. I just couldn't get into the nuLily at all and it kind of died for me after that. Can anyone tell me what happened with Katie and Simon? Are either one of the still on the show?

I hate to ask what the Babs/Henry/Vienna triangle is all about. Is it romantic? Yikes .... I have been away for a while.
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

Cheryl
Elite Members

April 25th, 2010, 4:04 am #4

mozartkc wrote:I enjoy Henry and Babs.
Me too.....I know I probably shouldn't and it doesn't really make all that much sense but I just do!!! Maybe it's because CZP and Trent D. work so well together. I find their scenes and dialogue to be utterly delightful.
wrote:I like Luke with Reid. it helps balance him out. Maybe I like Reid because he is such a smart ass and doesn't care what anyone thinks? I wish I were more like that :)
I'm down with ya on that one, Mozart......LOVE Luke and Reid, they are my fave storyline right now. How cute were they on that mechanical bull? I was so shocked when Reid grabbed Luke and kissed him.....I think I gasped! And Luke was hysterical when he was making fun of Reid because he didn't have any friends or life. I love them! :wub1:
wrote: I haven't watched ATWT in a long time. I just couldn't get into the nuLily at all and it kind of died for me after that. Can anyone tell me what happened with Katie and Simon? Are either one of the still on the show?

I hate to ask what the Babs/Henry/Vienna triangle is all about. Is it romantic? Yikes .... I have been away for a while.
Hey buddy--Katie's still on. It appears to me they are testing the chemistry between her and nuChris (Daniel Cosgrove) and Allison and Chris. And all of a sudden she's become a matchmaker. Simon was on for a few months after Brad died to help Katie get through it. They even lived together briefly, I think. Their chemistry was just as great as ever but unfortunately his stay was short term so as usual, they didn't end up together. Bummer.

The Babs/Henry thing was surprising to me in that I (and apparently a few others here) liked the pairing. Vienna was off the show for like......forever because she got mad at Henry for some reason....something to do with him being greedy for actually wanting to keep the Stenbeck money after he inherited it (Did you know he found out he is James's son? haha!) Anyway, while she was gone, Henry slept with Babs so she would give him the Stenbeck money (I believe he was being threatened by a gangster for the money at the time) and soon thereafter, they started sleeping together on a regular basis and eventually discovered they were kindred souls. Who knew?!? Their scenes together are hysterical and I have found myself totally rooting for them. What started out as purely sexual has turned into something else although I don't think either of them are quite sure what it is because it just shouldn't BE!

Now that Vienna is back, she and Henry are planning to be married. But Vienna has no idea that Henry and Babs have feelings for each other or that Henry is having trouble getting Barbara out of his head. As you know, Trent Dawson is an amazing actor and he has been brilliant portraying the conflict he feels, added to his usual comedic flair.....it's just a fun storyline for me. And I have an entire new appreciation for CZP. Here's a little clip I found of when Katie walked in on Henry and Babs after he left his engagement party to go find her. She was feeling a little left out so naturally she got drunk and Katie yelling at Henry is priceless! :lmfao:

http://www.fancast.com/tv/As-the-World- ... ess/videos

HOT, HOT, HOT, SMOKIN' HOT!!!!

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

April 25th, 2010, 5:42 pm #5

WOW thanks Cheryl for the rundown. I loved the clip. I just can't believe there is a triangle with Babs/Henry/Vienna. LOL ... I guess I need to start watching. I really don't care about much of the rest that is going on but I do love all the actors in the clip you posted Cheryl so I'm willing to give it a try. ;)
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

Cheryl
Elite Members

April 25th, 2010, 8:12 pm #6

Gatekeeper wrote:WOW thanks Cheryl for the rundown. I loved the clip. I just can't believe there is a triangle with Babs/Henry/Vienna. LOL ... I guess I need to start watching.
You're welcome! I know, on paper a triangle with the three of them doesn't make much sense but when you see it unfolding, it kinda does. They are so much fun to watch. I loved the ending of that clip when Vienna is questioning why Katie and Henry are shouting and every time she asks a question, they both answer at exactly the same time with different answers. Their timing was perfect.....funny stuff! :P

HOT, HOT, HOT, SMOKIN' HOT!!!!

jbrr1212
Elite Members

April 26th, 2010, 4:23 am #7

Big agree on Henry/Babs. They are so wrong, they're right! I was a huge Henry/Vienna fan but I have to say even I want Babs with him now. Its nice to see the fun side of Babs that has been missing for so long.

Also loving Luke/Reid, I was never a big Nuke fan but "Lure" (I guess thats what folks are calling them) are keepers. Reid doesnt let Luke be whiny which was my biggest problem with him. As far as I'm concerned Noah needs to take a hike.

I just want all the Ciccones gone NOW!!!! NuLibs has done a nice job but really its time to move on. Terri and Janet are both useless wastes of space/screentime. I've never been able to take McCouchs Dusty so its a great thing when I get Janet/Dusty scenes I get to ff both at once lol. NuLily/Meg/Paul/Emily also get my ff button regularly.

tgir
Site Admin

April 26th, 2010, 6:53 pm #8

Wow. I haven't watched ATWT in years---the final nail in the coffin was Julia as a rapist, played for camp. Just thinking about that scene (which I had to turn off) turns my stomach and I couldn't get past it.

That said, I am very sorry for the end of ATWT. I read Dax's post and agreed with it, to the extent that I've been out of the loop for many years. With a couple of exceptions.

Martha Byrne's Lily was soooooooo done for me long before Byrne left the role. I am sorry if the actress was treated badly, but her dual role as Lily/Rose got on my very last nerve and as a character, I thought Lily had played out. I was actually excited to learn the role had been recast and except for an odd accidental moment or two, I never watched enough to know if the recast was decent or not. I always did like Holden and thought he deserved much better than warmed over oatmeal Lily, who seemed not at all to be related to her bio or her adoptive mother, even as a rebellion. That said: Sure, bring back Martha Byrne for her fans who deserve that much. I can see the need, even if she's not my cup of tea.

Never cared much for Molly and a huge agree that we don't need to ever see Damian or even hear his name again. Meh, re: John Stenbeck. I get why he should return, but a bigger and better return would be Larry Bryggman's John Dixon.

Yes to Andy coming back. He just has to.

Meg Ryan would be a genuine kick to see again: I'd try to watch just for that.

And yeah, Daniel Cosgrove is a terrific actor. Genius to have him as Chris.

All of that aside, honestly I just feel bad for the fans of ATWT that they have to see their soap die and even more sad that it has to be a long, drawn out inglorious death at that.

I hope that there is a bit of mercy at the end and some of the great characters come back and are written as themselves and not as some madhouse cartoon version.

Dax
Site Admin

April 26th, 2010, 7:16 pm #9

>> except for an odd accidental moment or two, I never watched enough to know if the recast was decent or not.

She's not bad. Clearly an actress that knows what she's doing... she's just not really 'Lily' (like her, hate her, tired of her, whichever... somebody in a role THAT long IS the character, making recasts hard to accept).

>> a bigger and better return would be Larry Bryggman's John Dixon.

It's just so wrong that he disappeared without explanation, and was SUCH a major player for so many years (with family still very much on-canvas)... and while it's true that Bryggman is/was a grumpy guy who very often didn't dig the material his 'day job' offered him, he DID appreciate HAVING the steady work for so long... no, he doesn't 'owe' the show or its producers or its fans... but come on... what does it hurt (to come back for a few days)? It would make a lot of people happy.

>> Yes to Andy coming back. He just has to.

It wouldn't make any sense for him not to.

Dax
Site Admin

April 28th, 2010, 7:04 am #10

I know Craig's been a bad guy. A villain, an asshole, a terrible father... he's stolen Lucinda's company and betrayed Lily's trust and blah blah blah...

But they (Sierra, Lucinda, Lily) still, you know, CARED about him, and at various times, they've been friendly or more than that. He's 'family'. And when they all lost Bryant...

So twenty years ago... this kid... and...

I don't like deep dark secrets when there's every reason for 'the truth' to have come out long before it did/has/is-going-to-now just because a new set of writers is scrambling to come up with something to fill out some time. It's stupid.