Forum rules
Board Guidelines 1 - We ask that you do not insult, ridicule or threaten other posters, old or new that they may be. Also, please, do not spam :)

2 - We ask that whenever you wish to write about later parts of a game, you apply the spoiler tags to said text. Especially if it is something about the game's story, bosses, puzzles or items.

In the help forums however, it is not required to use spoiler tags for anything except the game's story.
Failure to do so may result in warning, suspension or banning; depending on the number of times this happened, the severity of the violation (such as describing the game's ending) and possible maliciousness of the violator.

Alternatively, you may create a topic with the words *spoilers for "game(s) name"* in its title. That will exempt everybody from using spoiler tags in that thread for spoilers about said game. However know that said thread may not be modded, unless specifically requested for a violation of these rules.

3 - Due to the high level and frequency of malicious spam bots posting in the forum, registration is required to post replies in any of our forums.

Zelda 3 Single Hacks

Conn
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums
Conn
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums

August 11th, 2013, 9:16 pm #1

You may wonder what happened to me... well, I was requested to help SePH, Euclid and Puzzledude with their progress on new Zelda hacks similar to Parallel Worlds... doing this some nifty hacks came out.

Since most of you are also fans of Zelda 3, I'd like to distribute those hacks to you if you like to have these features implemented in your ALTTP rom:

Have fun ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hack: pot destroy by L2-L4 Sword
Authors: Spane, Conn
Information: destroys pots with Sowrd L2-L4
Rom: ALTTP (US), without header
Code Addresses:
$0x77B70 - 0x77B9B: code to implement feature

IPS URL: http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/C ... 2sword.zip

Screenshots:
[/url]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hack: Ice rod freezes water
Authors: Potentialing, PuzzleDude, Conn
Information: you get icy water to walk on - works only in 16x16 screens (8-bit need still to be adjusted)
Code Addresses: 0x77ba0 - 0x77d8f (after pot with sword destroy above)

ZIP FILE: http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/icelink.zip

Inside above zip file you'll find 3 versions:

Icerod freezing water final:

[/url]

This is the normal code for freezing deep water!
The effect was implemented in the overworlds only (simply to many unfixable bugs if indoors), and even here you might have a lot of trouble to avoid game paradoxes (this is also described in one of the included files).
All files are packed in the zip file (hex, asm, smc etc). The fastest way to insert the effect is using the Ips patch.

Variants of Icerod ASM:

List:
1 Ground rod
2 Ground rod (lava variant)
3 Shallow water rod
4 Water rock
5 Freeze bushes
6 Broken bridge
7 Lava rock
8 Lava ground

We are dealing with the same code, but the icerod affects different things: from making ground and shallow water, to freeze new objects, such as water rocks, lava rocks and freezing lava ground.
Most recomended (because of zero possibility of bugs and zero possibility for game paradoxes):
Water rock, Freeze bushes, Lava rock, Lava ground.
With these 4 variants almost no bugs or paradoxes are possible, since you affect certain objects only.
If you however freeze all water, you can come to some paradoxes (original icerod effect, ground rod, shallow water rod, broken bridge).
----------------
Note, I haven't made Ips patches, since they have the same core as the Icerod original Ips. Only a small amount of bytes has changed since then. It is wise to change these bytes with hex editor, to understand what you are doing. Once you do, you can make your own variants.

Dungeon Incomplete:

This is a try to get ice in dungeons, but I gave up on it due to several bugs:
- Link swims through ice
- Link jumps from ice into walls
- Makes Water Dungeon riddle to pull lever in light world obsolete since you must place a water layer on bg1 next to the transludent bg2 water layer!

Hack: Blocks moveable multiple times
Authors: PuzzleDude, Conn
Information: the blocks can be moved unlimited (or until you hit an obstacle)
pc w/o header ALTTP (US)
Code Addresses: 0x77e00 - 0x77e1c (after pot with sword destroy and icerod freezing water above)

IPS url: http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/moveblock.zip

Screenshot:

Hack: Transfer sprites
Authors: Conn, PuzzleDude
Information: Transfer the data for Indoor sprites to another bank to have more room for them. This also means more room for outdoor sprites, since if left in place, they can extend into the former indoor sprites data-area.

pc w/o header ALTTP (US)
Code Addresses: main code at $14C296 (can be put elsewhere)

ZIP url: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qbidh9iv7psep ... nal%29.zip

Screenshot:

Hack: Can not move when holding sword
Information: When you hold your sword to do the spin attack, you can not move (this avoids visual bugs like going backwards or sidewards into the staircase).

pc w/o header ALTTP (US)
Code Addresses: main code at $0009C2

ZIP url: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k50rgktp67gq9 ... charge.zip

Hack: Play custom music
Information: Load (play) custom overworld music, without the reseting when changing screens. (Original Alttp always resets it to Overworld music when exiting most entrances).

pc w/o header ALTTP (US)
Code Addresses: main code at $11A200, new music table at $11A300.

ZIP url: https://www.dropbox.com/s/04lgxiheviak2 ... nal%29.zip

Hack: Lens of Truth
Author: XaserLe
Information: This is for making BG2 disappear when pressing X and R together (parallel worlds x button secret). But only if you have the Mirror in the inventory (suitable to revert it into Lens of Truth).

pc w/o header ALTTP (US)
Code Addresses: main code at $1FA600

ZIP url: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8c53zlvrk4wb3 ... 0Truth.zip

Hack: Direction Change while running with Pegasus Boots
Author: Conn, AST creator team ^^
Information: This is a stolen and adapted code from AST, it will make you change direction while running with your pegasus boots. You need to keep the run button pressed, becuase stopping by direction change will not work anymore (of course ;))
pc w/o header ALTTP (US)
Code Addresses: main code at $0x3ff40 (works also with PW)

Updated Version 2: Keep running during screen transitions
Zip: http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/C ... pgrade.zip

Screenshot:

Hack: Close gap in Euclids 24 item-menu, by enabling an extra item (shovel)
Authors: Conn
Information: Get shovel in menu instead of empty space (patch changes empty space used previously for bottle content to get shovel there), so you can have and use the flute and shovel at the same time. You only need to place the shovel in a nice chest via HM or hex editing (not implemented by this patch since this is your choice).
Rom: Parallel Worlds-prepatched ALTTP (can be adapted to your menu if you use the 24 items menu hack from Euclid)

Zip: http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/pw_shovel.zip

Screenshots:

The zip contains a txt with information to made changes.

Hack: Random and special treasures to dig up
Author: Conn
Information: This patch will give you the ability to dig up random treasures and you will be able to hide dig-up sprites like Heart Container pieces!
Main code 0x77e30, which is unused space in native ALTTP - but not in Parallel Worlds. If you want to use it on PW, please shift the code to unused space there!

Zip: http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/C ... easure.zip

Inside you find merged patch with random rupees gain and the ability to insert specific treasures (tested and confirmed so far only for Heart Container pieces) to hide anywhere except big screens. Inside a zip you will also find the old patch that only allows to dig up random treasures.

Since it is not possible to set other items like boomerang to dig up, I made a small tutorial how to replace the flute by another item. This however is restricted to screen 2A where you natively find the flute.

Screenshots:
Random rupees:

Special treasure collect:

Flute replacement:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Conn on August 11th, 2013, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duke Serkol
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums
Duke Serkol
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums

August 12th, 2013, 3:22 am #2

Wow... this is... incredible! And so completely out of the blue! O_o

So much for retirement eh Con?

Also NOW Euclid shows up? Where had he been hiding?? :lol:

You need to ask him and your other new friends to try and put Vitreous in AST... or even better Gleeok and Lanmola in BS LoZ.

And this:
Con,Aug 11 2013 wrote:Hack: pot destroy by L2-L4 Sword
Authors: Spane, Conn
Information: destroys pots with Sowrd L2-L4
Code Addresses:
$0x77B70 - 0x77B9B: code to implement feature

IPS URL: http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/C ... 2sword.zip

Screenshots:
[/url]
would also be a welcome addition if you could port it over to AST (does running into vases break them too? It should since you're holding out your sword)

Other than that one, the most impressive are surely the water freezing ice rod, the AST improved boots and the retain shovel+random buried treasures combo.
...but of course we don't really need those in AST.

SmashManiac
Oracle
Oracle

August 12th, 2013, 3:25 am #3

Wow, you were busy there Con! I especially like the pot breaking, custom music and turning while running ones! :)

By the way you should post those hacks on romhacking.net as improvements (except maybe for the unfinished one) so that they get more exposure B)

August 12th, 2013, 3:02 pm #4

Con,Aug 11 2013 wrote:Hack: Direction Change while running with Pegasus Boots
Author: Conn, AST creator team ^^
Information: This is a stolen and adapted code from AST, it will make you change direction while running with your pegasus boots. You need to keep the run button pressed, becuase stopping by direction change will not work anymore (of course ;))
pc w/o header ALTTP (US)
Code Addresses: main code at $0x3ff40 (works also with PW)

Updated Version 2: Keep running during screen transitions
Zip: http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/C ... pgrade.zip

Screenshot:

Thanks, I was looking for this! Now I'm happy. :)

BTW, I found one more on The Cutting Room Floor. I'm not sure who made it, but I know the details. It's not a hack, but rather a bugfix. It fixes Kholdstare Shell melting process (this is already fixed in the GBA version). It is compatible with US ALttP headerless rom.
My current Zelda "Skyward Split" Timeline:
---/--TMC--FS/FSA--ALttP/OoX/AST/LA--???--ALBW--TLoZ/TAoL
SS--OoT--TWW/PH--ST
---------\MM--TP

August 12th, 2013, 4:07 pm #5

Nice work! Looking forward to what else is being worked on!
ALttP_Kholdstare_Shell.ips (27 Bytes)

Conn
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums
Conn
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums

August 13th, 2013, 5:44 pm #6

Cool that you like it ^_^
Actually I wanted to help SePH only with an item palette change, but yeah, got more, and more, and more and...

@ Duke:
As for Euclid he hardly showing up at the forum. Guess he's busy with real life... as for implementing Vitreous, Lamnolas and that stuff you better ask him yourself.
wrote:would also be a welcome addition if you could port it over to AST (does running into vases break them too? It should since you're holding out your sword)
The patch is attached below, feel free to make an update - works on all 4 weeks.
I also already uploaded a new German translation for the MottZilla patch by KillBill_158 who adapted Svambo's old translation to new combined maps hack.

And yes, you run through pots ;)

@Smash:
Puzzledude is on it to supply the patches on romhacking. But they don't make submission easy.

@JB007:
The one who created the kholdstare patch is MathOnNapkins
Last edited by Conn on August 13th, 2013, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terra Branford
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums
Terra Branford
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums

August 13th, 2013, 11:41 pm #7

Heh... you know Con, it doesn't exactly count as being "Retired", if you keep making patches for ~other~ games. :P
pottast.zip (185 Bytes)
I'm officially retired from beta testing, and resign my duties to those who have the time to do it.

Duke Serkol
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums
Duke Serkol
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums

August 13th, 2013, 11:58 pm #8

Uh... I was in the process of making an update but... that's not an ips file. How do I use it?

Conn
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums
Conn
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums

August 14th, 2013, 12:20 am #9

Tre, I am too good in what I am doing... so I get requests after requests. And since I am good-human I mostly help people. And the people there have plenty of projects on start (not only SePH, PuzzleDude and Euclid, there are many more)and need ASM help of which mainly Euclid and I are capable to do.

Duke, are you kidding? That's a zip file attached and inside you find the ips O_o
But I attached the ips without zipping it to this post to ensure you get it. The patch is ready for use for any week :)
Last edited by Conn on August 14th, 2013, 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duke Serkol
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums
Duke Serkol
Hero of Forums
Hero of Forums

August 14th, 2013, 12:42 am #10

This one works. The other I extracted, gave it a .ips extension but Lunar Ips still would not recognize as one.
pottast.ips (70 Bytes)